86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Swimmerboy2112's 1991 Pickup Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Thinking about a rear locker. I have heard they make driving on ice and snow very difficult and downright dangerous. Why is this? Is it because the axle locks together, thus both wheels are spinning and neither is getting traction causing the truck to slide down/across the hill, or am I completely wrong?

This is the primary reason I have been afraid to put one in Ol' Yeller.

Opinions?
selectable or auzie locker up front, and detroit/grizzly in the rear. or selectable in the rear, leaving it off in snow/ice.

my opinions
Old 08-31-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Find an E-locker, Brian. Just my 2 cents. I've seen several guys put Toyota E-lockers they got off CL in, and they LOVE them, .... and you can lock or unlock anytime you want without AIR! But, again, ....totally up to you, so do some searching, asking like you are, and you'll make a good choice

I'm not in snow very often, nor ice, ...so I'm not that concerned about it. But, when I used to have time to Hot springs/Winter Camp, I had Detroit Lockers in my 70CST Blazer...... It was pretty hairy at times, on the ice....but manageable, like Mak said, .... HOWEVER, ... if I lived in the snow/wintery climate? not sure I'd go for it..... I'd rather have a selective locker like the Factory Toyota ones in the newer Rigs/even some older ones.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
my experience in snow/ice with my locker. the rear end of the truck is extremely slippery. its takes some getting used to, but its do able... just dont put an automatic in the front if you plan on driving in the snow.
What do you mean slippery? You mean that when you lose traction the end moves side to side?

Originally Posted by irab88
selectable or auzie locker up front, and detroit/grizzly in the rear. or selectable in the rear, leaving it off in snow/ice.

my opinions
What's the real difference between the Aussie and a detroit/grizzly? I thought they were the same kind? Guess not.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Find an E-locker, Brian. Just my 2 cents. I've seen several guys put Toyota E-lockers they got off CL in, and they LOVE them, .... and you can lock or unlock anytime you want without AIR! But, again, ....totally up to you, so do some searching, asking like you are, and you'll make a good choice

I'm not in snow very often, nor ice, ...so I'm not that concerned about it. But, when I used to have time to Hot springs/Winter Camp, I had Detroit Lockers in my 70CST Blazer...... It was pretty hairy at times, on the ice....but manageable, like Mak said, .... HOWEVER, ... if I lived in the snow/wintery climate? not sure I'd go for it..... I'd rather have a selective locker like the Factory Toyota ones in the newer Rigs/even some older ones.

As usual Mark, you're thinking about what i've forgotten! I'm gonna head down to the local yard that they pull the parts for you and see what it would cost to get an e-locker.

Yeah I understand that point. Yeah ill double check at the yard tomorrow. What exactly is the difference between an Aussie/Detroit/Grizzly?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a detroit E-z locker and driving up to the ski lifts is a blast! drifting up a mountain sure does get the adrenaline pumping... but you can take your time and be fine...
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by blakefogt
I have a detroit E-z locker and driving up to the ski lifts is a blast! drifting up a mountain sure does get the adrenaline pumping... but you can take your time and be fine...
I need more info! How does it make driving in ice/snow scary?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
What's the real difference between the Aussie and a detroit/grizzly? I thought they were the same kind? Guess not.
auzzie: completely locks when wheel slip is detected

detroit/grizzly: never locks, but it doesn't allow either wheel to spin slower than the drive shaft. think of it as a ratcheting differential
Old 08-31-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
auzzie: completely locks when wheel slip is detected

detroit/grizzly: never locks, but it doesn't allow either wheel to spin slower than the drive shaft. think of it as a ratcheting differential
Ah ok i see. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:57 PM

Killer find Brian!! Thats a sweet, clean little truck. I would leave it black, it goes good with the Yellow...
Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Killer find Brian!! Thats a sweet, clean little truck. I would leave it black, it goes good with the Yellow...
Thanks!

I plan on leaving it all black. I always wanted a black vehicle lol
Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Sorry i didn't get back to you about the locker, But lets just say you'll become the next movie star in the fast and the furious tokyo drift I went up to tahoe with my brother and literally lost traction in the read end, and instead of slowing down to regain it, i decided to just drift all the way down the street. Doesn't take much, I probably did it at around 5-7 mph.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Sorry i didn't get back to you about the locker, But lets just say you'll become the next movie star in the fast and the furious tokyo drift I went up to tahoe with my brother and literally lost traction in the read end, and instead of slowing down to regain it, i decided to just drift all the way down the street. Doesn't take much, I probably did it at around 5-7 mph.
Wow! I didn't know it'd be THAT bad!? Hmm...
Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM

Wow! I didn't know it'd be THAT bad!? Hmm...
Yeah, lol I have a video and a few pictures of it somewhere. It "looks cool" when no one is around, but extremely dangerous. HONESTLY if i were to do it again, I would swap it to an e-locker. But heres another thought...

Have you ever thought that the dimensions on a tacoma's leaf springs may or may not be the same dimensions as an older truck? You're leafed, so i would expect them to be the same distance, yeah? I know you can buy an axle for 800 bucks from a junkyard.

You could also just retrofit the diff into the 8"
Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM

Yeah, lol I have a video and a few pictures of it somewhere. It "looks cool" when no one is around, but extremely dangerous. HONESTLY if i were to do it again, I would swap it to an e-locker. But heres another thought...

Have you ever thought that the dimensions on a tacoma's leaf springs may or may not be the same dimensions as an older truck? You're leafed, so i would expect them to be the same distance, yeah? I know you can buy an axle for 800 bucks from a junkyard.

You could also just retrofit the diff into the 8"
Oh i never thought about that, I guess the Tacoma uses a bigger rear diff than the stock 91' setup?

Drat...
Old 09-01-2011, 01:42 PM

No. The e-locker axle on TRD applications is an 8" differential. it should be the same exact axle.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM

No. The e-locker axle on TRD applications is an 8" differential. it should be the same exact axle.
Hmm the problem now will be finding one.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM

You'll come across one. I can give you a number here in California that ships used parts around the US... might be expensive. shipping to my ex from California was a pain in the ass haha
Old 09-01-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmmm, an e-locker you say, eh? hahahaha
Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Craigslist add "Indianapolis auto parts" If anybody else in Indiana or surround states looking for one.
listed on the 28th and still coming up so I bet it's still available, wish I could get it...
Toyota e locker - $450 (Bedford)
I have a used Toyota E locker I believe it's a 4:10 ratio everything worked when pulled asking 450 FIRM!!!!!

450 to much or just right? would like to know for future when I ever I do go looking for one...
Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 PM

hey man from personal experience.. the locker is not terrible or that dangerous in the snow. Just know how to handle the vehicle and don't get squirly with the throttle, and relax. maybe I'll bring my gopro next time I drive in the snow.. make a little drift truck movie.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 PM

You'll come across one. I can give you a number here in California that ships used parts around the US... might be expensive. shipping to my ex from California was a pain in the ass haha
Yeah shipping is gonna kill me. I'll see what I can dig up around here.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hmmmm, an e-locker you say, eh? hahahaha
Yes sir! haha

Originally Posted by john4wd
Craigslist add "Indianapolis auto parts" If anybody else in Indiana or surround states looking for one.
listed on the 28th and still coming up so I bet it's still available, wish I could get it...
Toyota e locker - $450 (Bedford)
I have a used Toyota E locker I believe it's a 4:10 ratio everything worked when pulled asking 450 FIRM!!!!!

450 to much or just right? would like to know for future when I ever I do go looking for one...
From what I understand $450 seems like a decent deal for an e-locker.

hey man from personal experience.. the locker is not terrible or that dangerous in the snow. Just know how to handle the vehicle and don't get squirly with the throttle, and relax. maybe I'll bring my gopro next time I drive in the snow.. make a little drift truck movie.
Yeah that's what I figured, but i'm not really thrilled with the thought of sliding around uncontrollably in the snow lol.

How do you like you're GoPro camera? I was debating on picking up the HD model since they are relatively cheap.

Quick Reply: Swimmerboy2112's 1991 Pickup Build Thread