86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I didn't get alot done on the 4runner this weekend, just worked on my rear leaf springs getting them cut down for the RUF pack and cleaning them up with a grinder getting ready for paint.

I did get some parts sold today. Sold a tranny, t-case, clutch, clutch/brake pedal assembly, slave/master cylinders and lines, and an exhaust manifold. So now I have the funds to get my HI-STEER!!! I went ahead and placed an order with Addicted Offroad. Their prices were quite a bit lower than TG. So the plan for this week is to get that front axel cleaned up and painted and under the truck so it will ready when my hi-steer arrives.

Last edited by rustED; 04-01-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awsome,post pics when you get everything.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by oneIwilly
Awsome,post pics when you get everything.
I'll definately get some up!.... You too, I want to see what you guys get done on your truck this week!..... You should post up a YouTube video of it when you fire it up!, that would be sweet!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 PM

Front Axel

Well today was a really nice day to be outside working. It was sunny (finally) and I was able to get some paint on my driverside leafsprings. I was also cleaning up the front axel, and cut off the torque rod bracket, and ground down the welds. I didn't really plan on rebuilding the knuckles at this time (mainly do to the tight budget) but today I decided to go ahead and take off the steering arms (because all the steering componets were still attached to it and it was a PITA to get around them with the grinder) and thats when I noticed that the passenger top trunnion bearing was toast. So now I might as well just rebuild the knuckels, at least it will be done with and I won't have to tear it back down again later. I started to tear down the hubs, but don't have anything big enough to take the spindle nut off.

So my new short list of things to do is:
1.) get a spindle nut socket so I can finish removing the hubs and brake rotors
2.) Finish removing the knuckles and continue cleaning up the housing to get ready for paint.
3.) get my frame tubes installed, and my springs and front springhanger mocked up in place.
4.) rebuild the knuckles
5.) determine the location of my steering box
6.) I think since I'm tearing it down this far, (which wasn't the plan) I'm going to do the IFS hub/rotor swap. From what I've read this will space my front axel out approx 3" to match the IFS rear axel and eliminate the need of wheel spacers. I've heard you can use FJ40 or Tacoma rotors and calipers, but since I'm running 15" wheels I don't think the will have enough clearance. Anybody done this swap?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:30 PM

How much and where did you get those tires? They look amazing
Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Trevin49
How much and where did you get those tires? They look amazing
Thanks man, I got them at my local tire shop (Les Schwab) they are Maxxis Bighorn MT's and they were $245 apiece for a 33x12.50
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM

The Maxis bighorn is the tire my truck came with.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM

The Maxis bighorn is the tire my truck came with.
Oh yeah....what size did you have? Did you ever run them, or did you upgrade to the boggers right away?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 PM

home brew spindle nut socket

I couldn't find any sockets or anything big enough to take off the spindle nut, and since I hate buying specialty tools that I only use once, I ended up making this out of some flat stock:

It looks like crap, but it worked good. It fit alittle loose at first, but by the time I finished welding it up it was too tight to fit, so I had to cut it and spread it apart a little, then reweld it.

Finished getting the front axel tore down. Tomorrow I'm going to finsh cleaning it up, weld up the steering stops, and add a 1/4" plate to the driverside spring perch to match the passengerside perch height.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Today was a good day! I worked on cleaning up the front axel housing some more, it was nice and sunny and the kids were out playing today, so I didn't get quite as much done, but it was still good. Got two of the steering stops welded up, and got the driverside spring perch plated with 1/4" and mostly welded up.

Then the man in the "brown van" payed me a visit, I got my hi-steer from Addicted Offroad:

Then to top it off, a friend of a friend (whom I've never met) responded to my craigslist add and I ended up trading him a 22R carb and intake manifold for some front shackles:

I wish every day went like this!

Last edited by rustED; 04-04-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 PM

I didn't do much yesterday... I painted the steering arms.

Today I finshed welding up my steering stops and the driverside spring perch.

All I have left to do is add Knuckle gussets and finsh cleaning up the knuckle balls and I'm ready to paint the axel housing.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:34 PM

I got a little bit done this weekend. I figure a little bit of progress is better than no progress, lol. I got the IFS brake calipers cleaned up and painted.

I also cleaned up and painted the driverside exhaust manifold...It looks better than the one I took off, lol.

Friday I made an attempt to cut the holes in my frame for the frame tubes, I tried to use a hole saw...snap the pilot drill bit off almost instantly, so I changed the bit and tried again, this time it bent it. So I guess I'm going to look into renting a oxy/acetylene torch. Once I get that done I can start making some noticable progress. In the meantime I'll probably cleanup and paint the passenger side exhaust manifold tomorrow, and make some knuckle ball gussets for the front axel. I'm a little reluctant to weld on the knuckle ball gussets, if I take my time and do a little at a time, then let it cool I should be ok, right? I just don't want to risk warping the axel housing!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Thing is, the tighter the fit, between the tube and the frame,the stronger things will be.I know my ability with a torch and would not attempt it with one.You may be much better than me Ed,I dont know.I would really try to get my hands on a plasma cutter.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 PM

Thing is, the tighter the fit, between the tube and the frame,the stronger things will be.I know my ability with a torch and would not attempt it with one.You may be much better than me Ed,I dont know.I would really try to get my hands on a plasma cutter.
Hey Brian, yeah I don't know anyone that has a plasma that I can use...and my skills with a cutting torch....let's just say I haven't used one in quite awhile, lol. I will check around, I don't know if Star rentals rents plasma's or not...also how much air pressure do you need to run one? I got a cheap little 2 gallon compressor, but am kinda doubtful it will do the job.

As far as progress, I've just been cleaning up parts and painting them. A couple weeks ago I sold my 4runner gas tank to a guy doing a EFI swap. I just figured I could swap the tank out of the 85' pickup into the 4runner. Now I wish I'd kept the gas tank skid plate from the 4runner...It was in much better condition and didn't have any rust. Also the fuel filler tube is in a different location, more towards the end (than in the center like the runner) I think it will still reach, I guess I will find out!

cleaned up the 85' gas tank (it had about 2" of mud caked onto it)

Got the skid plate cleaned up and painted.

I still have alot of parts left on the 85', had a couple of guys interested in the doors, but still haven't sold any of the body parts!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 PM

My plasma cutter requires 45 psi.I wish ya lived closer,id load up my compressor and the pa.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Ha, ha thanks man.... I'll figure out something!.... Hey did you and your buddy get some work done on your truck last week?

Last edited by rustED; 04-09-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Yea,we finally got all of the remaining torsion bar crap off and started working on the x member,the day he got here.That night we went wheelin in his jeep and severly bent the main shaft in his t case and ripped off one rear shock.We spent the remainder of his stay makeing his jeep limpable for the 300 miles home.It was fon though.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 PM

Yea,we finally got all of the remaining torsion bar crap off and started working on the x member,the day he got here.That night we went wheelin in his jeep and severly bent the main shaft in his t case and ripped off one rear shock.We spent the remainder of his stay makeing his jeep limpable for the 300 miles home.It was fon though.
LMAO...it sounds like a good time!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 PM

Hey I'm eastern Washington, oh that Washington State not DC. If I was only closer I could use the front fenders ......lol

Nice work so far...
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Hey I'm eastern Washington, oh that Washington State not DC. If I was only closer I could use the front fenders ......lol

Nice work so far...
Thanks Bill....you up for a road trip? Those fenders will be here waiting for ya! LOL!

Quick Reply: rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread