86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ruskymx's '93 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ruskymx's '93 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Hello,

So when the economy was taking a dump, so was my income. So I had to sell my 07 FJ Cruiser. I replaced it with a 1993 4Runner 22RE 5spd 4x4. I found it on Craigslist in my home town for $1600 with 163k miles. AS you can see it's not the prettiest, but all-in-all, not bad for a older Pennsylvania Toyota. (Road salt and such to accelerate the rusting.)

The work that I have done already includes valve cover gasket (it leaked), head gasket, head bolts (they broke when removed), timing cover, timing chain & gear set, water pump, valve seals, thermostat, plugs, wires, PCV valve, belts, head cleaned & valves adjusted. I had all the work done by a master tech at the Toyota dealership I work for. $400 for the labor + $427 in parts. I'd rather pay someone and make sure it's done right, plus it was my only vehicle so I needed it done in a timely manner. I also replaced both front fenders. Just did the passenger side today along with a new antennae assembly. Previous one was broken and siliconed in place and wobbled all over the place along with shoddy reception.

Some pictures are below, and then my game plan for the build.

First off, a pic of my FJ....I miss her...

The listing pictures when I was buying my '93 4Runner

Some pics of the pass side fender install:

Some pics of underneath. I plan on getting as much rust off as I can and painting it with Rustoleom. I know it's going to be a never ending battle.

My game plan is to get the frame cleaned up as best as I could and get it painted black. I am going to tear the front suspension apart and install new ball joints, tie rods, idler arm ( I want a TC idler, but wow! $$$$), & pitman arm. I'm also going to install Energy Suspension urethane bushings everywhere. (I know I'm in for TONS OF FUN! ) To make it a little easier & save some work, I'm buying a set of powder coated front upper & lower control arms from a guy in my area that I also bought a brush guard from. I'm thinking about Sway-A-Way or OME torsion bars. Initially, I won't be adding a winch or anything super heavy in the front, but I may in the future. I may as well do it now while everything will be apart.

I'm going to get BJ spacers, OME 901's, OME N98 front shocks, OME N72F rear shocks, OME steering stabilizer, Panhard drop bracket, extended brake lines, thinking about 4Crawler diff drop, manual locking hub conversion (already have these, thanks xtreme22r!),

I have a "new to me" tailgate coming from 85toyman (thanks!). Mine is rusting on top, bottom, and around license plate. The "guts" still work so I'm keeping it for spare parts. I Also have an OEM roof rack coming from RMA (thanks!). The other body work I want to do is the 1/4 panel weld ins & rockers from toyotafiberglass.com.

I still didn't decide on wheels & tires but I'm leaning towards ProComp series 152 Street Locks (15x8) wrapped in either Dick Cepek Crushers or you can't go wrong with KM2's. Crager Soft 8's are the other wheel option. I definitely know I want black wheels. Tires will be 33x12.5.

The tire size is a segway into my gears. I want to get front & rear thirds with 4.88's in them because from what I read here, it's not the easiest to re-gear. I'm still undecided as to what type of locker I want for the rear. I'd love the ARB, but ouch, not cheap. Leaning towards an Aussie right now.

I'm pretty sure I want to get a set of Bushwackers too. I know some people on here don't like them cuz they trap moisture, dirt, etc, but if I silicone where needed, I should be able to prevent that. They also may save me from buying the weld in 1/4's. I won't know for sure until I buy them and see how much rust I can cut away on mine.

I had All Pro Sliders on my FJ and I really like them so I think I'm going to get a set for this 4Runner too. I never welded, but a few of my friends know how to.

Once all of that is done, I'm going to have to do something about my black fenders, dark blue tailgate, and the rest of the silver body. My plan is to have the entire body Line-X'd in white. The company that my dealership uses for Line-X, will cut me a deal on my 4Runner and will allow me to do most of the prep work to save money. Then I want to get the bushwackers, brushguard, sliders, F & R bumpers, & rocker panels Line-X'd black. I'm thinking about a snorkel too and would get that Line-X'd black as well, but not completely sure about it yet. For the wheeling I'd be doing, I wouldn't need it, but I like that way they look.

I've been buying some parts here and there as I see something I want but also trying to pay off some bills with all the $ not tied up in a car payment. The goal is to have it complete by Spring of '11 so I'm not going to be moving super fast on this, but will post here as things progress. It should be fun!

I still have to finish cleaning out the garage so I can pull the 4Runner in and get it up in the air. (jack stands). My dad has his own garage business but he'd probably from upon me asking to tie up one of his lift for who knows how long. I also have to collect some more tools and a crap load of PB Blaster & WD40. I sprayed down a lot of the bolts I'll be working on in the future today.

Ruskymx
Old 07-11-2010, 02:35 PM

Worked on the 4Runner a little today. I need some more tools to make things a little easier so I didn't get a whole lot done. I did make the decision today to NOT do the Energy Suspension kit. It's not that it wouldn't help, but as much as a PIA this little bit of work I did so far has been, no thank you...lol

One of the Ball Joint studs snapped off. It took that big a** breaker bar with half of my floor jack handle on the end for more leverage to break loose the tie rod castle nuts & the lower ball joint nut. You can also see in this picture to the right where I messed around and painted part of the frame to see how it would come out. I have a lot of surface rust to deal with as you can see.

Close up of the broken stud

Tie rods off

Pass side out tie rod end didn't have the grease fitting....wonder how long it's been like that?

That's all for now. I did soak all the hardware I'll be removing with PB Blaster again. I took a break and was making something to eat so I was washed some dishes while food was cooking and I managed to slice my finger really good with a knife...lol It took a good hour to stop bleeding. Probably should get stitches, but oh well. Chicks dig scars right? I'll give it a few days to heal a little and start wrenching again on Wednesday.

Ruskymx
Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NICE!!!!...sry about the cruiser man.Thats a bummer..but hey after this.Your Engine and build up will pay itself off with miles it will last a LONG time..
Old 11-27-2010, 11:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking good Ruskymx- Keep up the good work. I can feel you on the FJ. I had to sell my 08 Tacoma DC 4x4 and bought a 1994 4Runner. Then started parting rigs out to help pay for mods to it.

I would like to see that rear door on there that I sold you.

I just finished putting BJ spacers and new mega travel BJ's on with Downey springs in the rear on mine. If you run into problems let me know and I will try to help you out as much as possible.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Update, I got my manual hubs rebuilt and put back together but didn't install yet. Good news is, tax time coming up and I think I know where my refund money is going ;o). To speed things up, I'm going to have the guy I had to the engine work stop by and help out to get it back together faster. I also found someone to help out with the body work as well. Just trying to decide between OME 900 (?) Medium or 901's (firm). Leaning towards medium cuz I think they'll flex better. I'm also going to get OME 26mm torsion bars because I will be adding an Addicted front bumper w/ a winch so there will be a lot of extra weight up front.

My tax forms can't come in quick enough!! Had to wheel the DD for a bit last Sunday...

My DD

Last edited by ruskymx; 01-08-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 01-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Came home from a strange day at work to find these at my door step.

Now if I can only get my lower ball joint to free up from the LCA.... I tried a pickle fork, pitman arm puller, beating the crap out of it with a hammer & heat (small propane torch & maybe I didn't get it hot enough, but the boot did catch fire). I've been soaking everything for the last 2 days with PB Blaster and I'm going to get a bigger hammer to smack it with so hopefully I can get it out so I can install these tomorrow.

I have my torsion bars & shocks off so moving the control arms around to get them in should be easy....I hope.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:27 AM

Everything you put in your suspension build thread i want to do to my 95 runner. I can't wait to see how it all sits when your done.Good luck with that LCA.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 PM

Runner, I made some changes to my suspension build because I read on some thread that the OME may limit travel, so I decided to go with ProComp 914014 for the front and 926513 for the rear. Plus the ProComps are more "budget friendly", about 1/2 the cost. For the rear, I found a set of LC coils for $50 on ih8mud so I pulled the trigger one those. Saved me another $100 on them compared to new OME's.

Tie rods and Panhard drop bracket are ordered and waiting for them to come in. Just need to get my refund from Uncle Sam and I'll be getting my 33x12.5x15 KM2's and Crager Soft 8's.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Well that's cool still can't wait to see the picks. I guess we will have to compare when i get the $$$ for build and get it done. Subscribed!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed, i love 4runner builds
Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 PM

I had a few minutes today and got the ball joints installed on my D/S, but I forgot to prime/paint the area I had to cut for the spacers so I have to pull the upper apart again, but no big deal. I was just a little too excited to start putting things back together I guess and thought about it after I tightened that last nut. I may leave it as is for now, just because it's so cold, not sure how well the primer and paint would stick anyway.

I also need to find a friend or relative that has a portable heater that I can borrow because my garage is not insulated or heated and wrenching in 20-30 degree temps is not too much fun. My tierods are due to be delivered tomorrow and panhard drop bracket should be in soon as well.

Out of money for goodies until tax time, then let the spending begin! LOL Going to buy shocks, wheels, tires, ext brake lines, OME torsion bars (thought they were 26mm, but they are 23.5mm which is probably better anyway.), then I have to figure something out for the 1/4 panels & rockers and start scoping the local yards for some 4.88's or hopefully score one from the classifieds with a locker already in it (every time one comes up, I don't have the money ). Currently have 4.10's which look like the pinon seals are leaking on both of them.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:57 PM

More goodies came in the last few days!

As you can see, the LC Coils look pretty much the same height even though they have different color markings on them.

Tie Rods by Beck Arnley with made in Japan stamped on them and 555. From what I have read, these are the better ones to get.

All I need now is the time to install everything and my darn tax forms to get in so I can file. Then shocks, torsion bars, ext brake lines, steering stabilizer, wheels & tires, and maybe a TC Idler arm or get one that I can rebuild with the brass bushings.....still . Ahh ....pitman arm......grrr.....forgot about that one. Everything else is new, going to get that too.

Will update with pics as parts get installed.

Ruskymx
Old 02-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Ruskymx have you got your tax forms yet.How is the weather up there?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:19 PM

Yup, basically done my taxes but didn't file yet. Since I itemize deductions, IRS won't even look at my return until 2/14 so that sucks. Forgot about some 1099 income so return isn't as fat as I was hoping it would be. Very tempted to borrow from my 401k, but don't want to pay back pre-tax dollars with after tax dollars.

Wheels and tires I think are going to be delayed, but I think I'm going to get a TC idler arm instead of getting a normal one and having to worry about rebuilding it every so often so I'm probably going to get all the suspension done before buying tires and a $370 idler arm will delay that...lol. I need to buy the TC idler, a pitman arm, shocks, steering stabilizer and torsion bars. If things go well at work, I'll be able to buy things here and there like I did in January, (BJ spacers, LC coils, tierods, panhard drop bracket).

Where I'm at, the first wave gave us only 3-4 inches of snow, if that. Then last night we had freezing rain, then it changed to sleet (about 1") and then it changed over to rain and temps in the 40's. Over the last hour or so it's gotten really windy 30-40mph gusts & temps are supposed to drop to around 5-7 degrees tonight. Compared to what many other places received, we got lucky here.

If I didn't have to clean my driveway, it would've been a good chance to get some wrenching done in decent temps.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Nice build, looking to tow my project 4runner home tomorrow. Keep posting
Old 02-16-2011, 02:35 PM

Got some stuff done today but not a ton.....took 3 hours (with a few smoke breaks in between) of heating, banging, cranking, pulling etc to get the lower BJ to break loose....I think the p/s was worse than the d/s.

Since my tax refund is only going to be 1/5 of what it normally is....I'm kinda on hold with buying stuff for now. Really sucks! lol

I have a bunch of stuff that I could work on though. I need to get my hubs on yet, tailgate on, roofrack installed, and I can start getting rid of my blue interior. I saw on another build, interior pieces being painted and holding up well so time for the blue to go.

Here some pics of the progress:

My "new" tailgate:

OEM Roof Rack:

My workspace...kinda cramped

I'm going to have to renew the registration soon too and was thinking of vanity plates for it. Here are two that are options. Chime in with any ideas

Old 02-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

4runnin would be better. At a glance, the top one looks like you are trying to say re-t4rd
Old 02-16-2011, 03:27 PM

I never noticed that but it does...T4R-22RE doesn't though
Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

Ya thats better.

Now lets get some pictures of your runner with those bj spacers
Old 02-16-2011, 05:57 PM

I'll have to throw the torsions bars back in before I can drop it off the stands....still no shocks, but it's not like I'll be driving it anywhere I'll have to pull it out and turn it around so I can get the saggy rear up in the air. I'll be sure to get some pics of the super saggy rear with the BJ spacers up front and no lift in the back. Should look comical!

Quick Reply: Ruskymx's '93 4Runner Build-Up Thread