86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Roadrage's 88 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadrage's 88 pickup

So back in may 2011 i bought this truck. And built it to what it is now. I am quite proud of what i have done and now i would like to share it with all you other yota fans.

Here is a picture of the truck as i got it from some guy it had been sitting here for about 1 yr that i know of. So i went knocking on the door and ask him if he was will to sell it to me for $500 bucks. He denied me . So i waited about a month and went and asked him again however this time i offered him $300...Douche move i know but he accepted. Which i found quite wierd. So apparently he thought it had a blown head gasket. Which i was fully prepared to fix. So i rolled it home (Just around the corner) and popped the hood for an inspection. Turns out the 5th cylinder spark plug was jsut dangling and not even in the motor... so didn't even change spark plug just cleaned it up and popped her back in. Continued inspection and found the air box had a mouse nest in it cleaned that out new filter. So now everything else looks ok so hook up a battery and she starts up. Little smokey at first but did fade away. It had been there for a year.

As you see some famous rust and such.

I was goin to try and rebuild the box.

But that just turned out to be to much work for something that would not be 100% one of a kind.

So i ripped of the rest of the box and started on the FLATDECK.

So when i finished the flat deck the first time i did it in a wood deck finish but didn't like that so much (no pictures tho) But after the deck i put in a 3" body life to allow tire clearance of the 33's

Next i went out wheeling and found the articulation was CRAP.

So SAS!
And 63" chevy leafs.

So the hacking begins!

Picked up an axle from yes you know it..... PICK N PULL

$283 much nicer then 600 +

At this point i took the axle to get sand blasted. And by now i am so excited i kinda forgot to take a bunch of pictures . I'm sure you have been there.

So basically i drilled the holes for the leafs and yada yada put leafs in blah blah then BAM high steer kit arrives YAY early christmas.

Can also see the kinda wood i used for deck.

so put in high steer kit brake lines get it all sorted out do the rear axle rotate diff weld on new perches extend drive shaft for rear with a coupler of my own build. and then i decided to regear before i put any oil in diff's to i search pick n pull and low and behold 4.88 gears and carrier assemble so slap that in the truck. and start on building the square tube drive shaft i read about here. thanks guys!

Get all that in oil in diffs check the bolts and all that jazz and go just out side the drive and test its articulation for the first time.

After that i decide its time to change the deck to some steel.

And now i have to build a custom fill point for that flat deck.

and mount it finish the sides and paint it.

Now to fill the huge void space by the cab with non other then my heavy as all hell bad ass custom tool box.

and get some one to help me lift in position so i can bolt in and get this

So as of right now i am in to process of finishing building my front bumper.

And working on making my lawn edging front fender flares and my Aluminum checkerplate rear fender flares

Also at some point during the mayhem i made some quick connect and disconnect rear mud flaps

Well thats it for now i will post a finished product picture ones i get it all buttoned up. Hope you enjoyed.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
nice work on the bed...gotta love flux core
with as rusted as the stock bed came, was the frame sound or did you have to plate it at all?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM

Frame was all in good condition went over it looking for any where i could see where a week point was. No rust through spots either. Flux core was just for the square tube while it was at my house. Then i got a hold of a garage to work in instead of outside and upgraded to a lincoln stick welder.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:28 PM

Nice job on the bed...