86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Project IT SLEEPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project IT SLEEPS

Well I figured I would at least start up my 88 4runner build up. its gonna be slow as I am doing a lot to it while I have other projects around the house. I hope some of these pics help out. I will do my best to reply to any questions you all may have along with info you may have for me will be appreciated. I don't have a transmission yet. Saving up for a NV4500 Here somewhat starts the (it sleeps) build i have done alot prior to this but i will try to ad the details i can
Taking the dash out
I started the por15 to my engine bay. It came out better than expected
Most of you all already know what is going on here (4inch HD sas kit)
Going cut happy

Cleaning the frame and prepping for por 15

Good Bye ifs
Take your time doing this part of the sas swap
Got the springs mounted up front hanger still isnt welded a 100% yet still working with the shackle angles.
Me and my wife drove nearly 3 hours one way to get this solid axle from someone i got the axle for $340 i think is pretty good
Working the shackle angles
She is sitting high now
Made up my own engine mounts and for the engine mounts i beleive i used late 70s mid 80s dodge engine mounts maybe $35 total for both

That 5.3l is stitting pretty good in the engine bay. But it is very tight.
Working the painless wiring to make it nice and neat. By far the best purchace i have ever made for wiring lol. Wiring is not my friend. Other than that everything will clear the hood with plenty of room.
Engine sitting good. and ill get better pics of the shock hoops and shocks mounted up.
Stock exhaust for the 5.3l is right over my frame soooooo. I gotta find a exhaust to fit and work with my steering shaft
Got new feont fenders off ebay they are much better quality than expected.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:52 PM

Mmmm 5.3 and SAS, cool! Such a good engine!
Old 01-04-2017, 06:57 PM

I can't wait to see what she can do once it's all running and moving
Old 01-07-2017, 04:58 AM

Let me know how this piece of the dash looks.. i painted it. I was at lowes for awhile comparing paints to what was close to the surf grey lol
Somwhat better pic. Let me know what yall think and ill post up the paint i used alont with other pics of the dash in better light compared to the other older surf grey pieces. Dont mind the steering column pieces they were painted black and working on taking it off to redo.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks like you have been getting quite a bit done and it is looking good. I have painted many interiors and SEM makes a color that is close to what the factory had. Interior paint as some things that make it stick better to plastic. Looking good and seeing your project come along. With the 5.3, it should have plenty of power.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:56 AM

I'll have to look into the SEM paints. I have also looked through your build ups and love them. The 5.3l is going smoother than expected. But that's probably because I am taking my time on this swap this time lol. I'll do my best to keep the updates coming.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:19 AM

Little update on the interior portion. Its a work in progress. The paint i used seems to match pretty good but no comparison to the old steering wheel color.

This is where i am going to put my computer for the 5 3l fits well and doesnt move one bit
To the right you can see where i cut the glove box on the back to make it hideable for the most part.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:21 PM

OK this exhaust thing is driving me crazy lol. I found some s10 swap headers that might work but I can't find a good picture of them in a tight engine bay especially a Toyota pickup/4runner. One hugs the side of the engine the other one is kinda like the stock one but i don't know where it will dump out at unlike my stock ones witch drop right over my frame like in the pics I posted. The other set I found hug both sides the engine and dump near the oil pan. Anyone have somewhat good pics of either set?
Old 01-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looks Great!
How do you like those HumVee 37's? I hated them driving humvees in alaska, ny and another places
Old 01-08-2017, 11:02 AM

There actually the 36s. and they are terrible. Rough and loud at times. Flintstone rock wheels would be better than these things lol. But they were cheap and got me to a few places when I was able to drive it.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 PM

A few updates

Got my fuse block from my painless wiring mounted up took forever to get it where i wanted
Not sure yet where i am going to install this ob2 and check engine light at yet
Here is a pic of my shock hoops and shocks mounted. I havent added the back support for the hoops yet
I put the por on the frame awhile ago just figured i would show you all. Still working on getting more of the frame done.
Gutted tail gate
Parts all over the place
Got some rust to remove and fix
Ok this mount is flush. I still have no idea if i need to keep it here or not

Current shackle angle. With the flush front hanger. I hope it settles and relaxes some because it sure is stiff any ideas??
Ok i took my side piece off to see if rust was in there. Surprisingly there wasn't. So does anyone know where to get the plastic clips for this so i can put the cover back on?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
your shackle mount hole is too far back on the frame, methinks. that is bonkers with negative shackle angle.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
your shackle mount hole is too far back on the frame, methinks. that is bonkers with negative shackle angle.
Hmmm. it's in the same area like most I've seen on here ans theres came out fine. and from what the stupid instructions say for the 4 inch HD springs. Could it also be that the springs are not worn in?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
<br />Hmmm. it's in the same area like most I've seen on here and there angles came out fine. and from what the stupid instructions say for the 4 inch HD springs. Could it also be that the springs are not worn in?

Last edited by 4.34runner88; 01-13-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:33 AM

I also took a break from the sas swap because of the shackle angle issue. rather take my time with it instead of rushing it. the insight from you guys is very helpful. space-junk I forgot to mention in the reply to your post that I fully welded in the frame jigs (probably my mistake lol) but like I already said its where most are that I have seem and if anything maybe a hair forward than center. not saying you are wrong at all. I would love more information from you and the others that replied so far. help me help you kinda deal.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:52 PM

It was a ugly surgery to today today lol. Little bit of swearing, cutting, persuasion(hammer) and the fully welded frame tubes cane out. Like i said before take your time with this. I did take my time did a clean cut in my frame for the tubes to go in and i had them tacked at first then saw on the instructions from TG that my shackle angle was similer (with out vehicle weight) so i figured i would go ahead and fully weld them in. Well now here i am cutting them back out it was a PITHA.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:05 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f152...please-247710/

listen to Drew303. He knows his ish.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:00 AM

Yep I am definetly moving my frame jigs all the way forward. Thanks for the info. I have read numerous times on the sas swaps. Many different this and that lol
Old 01-18-2017, 01:59 PM

these headers I got today. I ordered them off eBay from speed engineering. They fit great so far and I like the quality of them, we will see how they hold up in the long run. The driver side fits perfect just like I was hoping they would. I thought the steering shaft was going to be in the way but it isnt. The passenger side um yeah the collector hits my engine mount wich is a simple modification I'll have to do and I'll show you all what I did to get it to fit in a few days. Don't mind the ugly welds I promise they hold. And I'm still working on them some
Old 01-22-2017, 11:27 AM

I got some AN fittings from summit racing and they work great so far

Got my in tank fuel pump (summit brand) for the ls we will see if it works