86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

OrRunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats really nice i like to paint, lol i wanna do mine up, thinkin bout a military camo, light green camoflag OR ill do one solid color i painted mine black did a job of it tho, ( did cab in bout 3 hours ) and hten i redid the bed and i did a decent job looks good but i put a big ass scratch on my bed so i have to repaint it!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
uuuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhh

i would of kept the red! LOL I HATE RED ON CARS/TRUCKS but somehow i like it on the runner/pickups of the same style .. late 80's..

mines red = ) I plan on painting it red again, just looks right.

nice job on the paint but i dont like blue haha
Old 12-19-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like red to but a specific kind like dodge viper red.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:43 PM

so i looked around kinda for the military or DARK camo green paint ... couldnt find it at least not at napa lol. Also i am not sure i want to paint it that color anymore thinking maybe a 2 tone idk maybe the green and black on the bottom ( the rocker panels ) what you think????
Old 12-20-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Green with purple poka-dots
Old 12-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Ya then it would be like barney

I like the blue I think it looks good
Old 12-20-2009, 09:28 PM

I like it, you did a great job.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
The red..it filters thru..
i Guess i dont know what you mean by filters thru, if your talking about the redish tint on the top, thats because while sanding the black window liners took on a red glaze, and would not clean up that good, know its all gone, it does not look like the red is coming thru any of the scratches from this weekend lol...
Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the compliments from everyone, I cant stand red on any of the yotas, my runner was especially bad as it has some body work from the previous owner, when the red is new and shiney it looks great, but when its dull and you have so many colors of red it starts to look orange, then its time for the blue!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 05:40 PM

haven't posted in awhile, here is a new pic, got the sliders, and flares on, got my winch and am getting ready to put that on in the next week,

Old 02-28-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
The red..it filters thru..
Great song.

Awesome job. Looks great
Old 03-01-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by airkewld4life
Great song.

Awesome job. Looks great

Thanks, always have more to do though
Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 PM

OrRunner rebuild

well, i am a slacker and don't update as much as need, but i think i am going to turn this into a build thread i guess. I am getting ready to lay down the money for a bunch of new motor parts and would like opinions on some things from you fine folks on yota tech.
here is a list of where i am starting at.

getting a bare used block, having it machined and bore over .20
engine builder prostreet head with the 261c crawler cam
lc adjustable cam gear
reground and balance crank
lc header kit
going to send the injectors to witch hunter for an overhaul

i am kind of stuck on what to do for connecting rods. is there a place to get new ones that anyone would reccomend, i know i can use the stock ones or get reconditioned ones but i am trying to take my time with this build and am trying to keep the down time on my runner as little as possible (i am lost with out it lol) If recons. are my best bet, reccomendations on where to purchase them? i have seen a few places on line but nothing i am familiar with. Input is greatly appreciated and i will try and be a little better with the pics on the motor build

Last edited by OrRunner; 03-18-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry, no recommendation for rods, but kudos on that paint work. very nice choosing an original blue. i recognize it. those trucks did have black tops, but if you sanded yours smooth, then you're way ahead of the game at having a unique runner. i like it.

mine is red, and it's in need of paint. every other day i argue with myself over how to keep the red and be happy. i hate red! (especially the fact that it fades easier than any other color)
y'no, the new urethane bed liners come in a clear base that gets tinted. you could clear bed line the whole truck right over the blue! scratch proof! hah! good luck with yer rebuild.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
sorry, no recommendation for rods, but kudos on that paint work. very nice choosing an original blue. i recognize it. those trucks did have black tops, but if you sanded yours smooth, then you're way ahead of the game at having a unique runner. i like it.

mine is red, and it's in need of paint. every other day i argue with myself over how to keep the red and be happy. i hate red! (especially the fact that it fades easier than any other color)
y'no, the new urethane bed liners come in a clear base that gets tinted. you could clear bed line the whole truck right over the blue! scratch proof! hah! good luck with yer rebuild.
Thanks for the complement! Mine was red to begin with as well but was faded and just not in that great of shape lol idk if i would bed line the whole truck, im not that worried about scratches and such, and it seems to be a pretty durable paint, that we laid down pretty thick, but its a great idea, would have a nice gloss with the clear liner !

i see you have a soft topper, i would love one of these but the motor must come first, i went with a bikini top from the wabbit to subdue my hunger for the top you have on your runner! Looks great
Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Nice rig man, I renamed the thread as you asked - do you want me to move this to the Build-Up section? If so I will and rename it to follow the other ones.

Just let me know,

Fink
Old 03-15-2010, 07:12 AM

Fink,

If you think that it would be better suited in the build section, i am perfectly ok with that. It started off as a paint thing, but i may as well continue to dilute this thread instead of add a whole new on lol, thanks again for your help!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OrRunner
Thanks for the complement!

i see you have a soft topper, i would love one of these but the motor must come first, i went with a bikini top from the wabbit to subdue my hunger for the top you have on your runner! Looks great
hang in there, man. i may have soft tops for everyone soon enough.

i am attempting to duplicate the one i have. i am pricing out a low-cost kit right now. i am aiming to have it available for less than $500. hopefully less than $400. i'll post when i have something ready.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
hang in there, man. i may have soft tops for everyone soon enough.

i am attempting to duplicate the one i have. i am pricing out a low-cost kit right now. i am aiming to have it available for less than $500. hopefully less than $400. i'll post when i have something ready.

Ohhh! i like the idea of that!, keep me update of what you turn out and your price point, i would def be interested!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

What year is that? '86?

Fink

Quick Reply: OrRunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread