86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

OrRunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
OrRunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Hey y/t,
i had posted about a month or so ago, saying i was going to paint my runner, well the time has come...here are the pics (so it did happen) she treated me good as a redhead, lets hope the new face lift will pay off in the end...with out further ado, i present, My blue baby!!!! (original 85 pickup color!) let me know what you guys and gals think!
Attached Thumbnails OrRunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread-copy-red.jpg   OrRunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread-copy-blue2.jpg   OrRunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread-copy-blue3.jpg  
Old 08-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I think the tops were never smooth nor painted blue....

But at least you opted to do it right the first time! Most people paint the outside sheet metal and it looks terrible! Good job
Old 08-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

nice. blue beats red anyday
Old 08-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Looks pretty good, You should post some bigger pics..

Old 08-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you choose to shoot single stage or did you do base color then clear? Have any problems while painting? Any bigger pictures available? Thanks for the post!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
I think the tops were never smooth nor painted blue....

But at least you opted to do it right the first time! Most people paint the outside sheet metal and it looks terrible! Good job
This is correct, i could not let myself paint the rough top, thought it would look better smooth, thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 95 Yoda 4runner
Did you choose to shoot single stage or did you do base color then clear? Have any problems while painting? Any bigger pictures available? Thanks for the post!
this is a single stage with "ultimate wet look" hardner and reducer mixed in. The base clear was twice the cost and i still want to be able to take it out and scratch it with out having a heart attack. I had 2 issues, first i had some seperation of the paint on a couple of small spot, i think due to oil from the hands or something, still have not quite figured it out, and second, i started to paint when it was about 79 degrees around 10 am, so i got a couple of runs since my reducer was for 85+, im okay with it, i might fix it but it is a trail truck (or in the process anyway) this was my first paint job, and with the help of a buddy of mine, i have learned alot about painting a truck. (we did his 88) i posted these from work so i will try to figure out the best way to post bigger ones for you guys tonight,
thanks!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:03 PM

i have made a new album with some bigger pics, i am not sure the best way to post the acutal pic that i have, it kinda big (950 kb) if you have any suggestions please let me know, thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 02:40 PM

if you have some separation issues it could be from oil or some type of chemical residue left behind from a dirty rag (sometimes you can't see it's dirty with your eyes). Make sure you sand after primer with 320'ish sand paper, then take tack cloth and clean the surface right before you shoot it to remove any oil, finger prints or chemicals that could be there that you can't see. then shoot. It's always important you use brand new rags and cloth when you paint, not something laying around the garage that could have armoral or something on it. Even thought it's a trail truck that will get scratched it's always nice to know how to do it right and get good results. Congrats!

Last edited by 95 Yoda 4runner; 08-10-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 95 Yoda 4runner
if you have some separation issues it could be from oil or some type of chemical residue left behind from a dirty rag (sometimes you can't see it's dirty with your eyes). Make sure you sand after primer with 320'ish sand paper, then take tack cloth and clean the surface right before you shoot it to remove any oil, finger prints or chemicals that could be there that you can't see. then shoot. It's always important you use brand new rags and cloth when you paint, not something laying around the garage that could have armoral or something on it. Even thought it's a trail truck that will get scratched it's always nice to know how to do it right and get good results. Congrats!
Thanks for the info, we did wet sand with a 400 after we stripped the rig and after primer, also used those blue shop paper towls and some of this degreser the paint shop reccomeded, but it does in fact sound like some sort of oil that made its way back on, i will be painting another toyota some day and all of this has been a great experience, again thanks for the info...
Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 AM

updated pics

just wanted to post some pics to show you guys what i have been doing to the runner, i dont have a build thread but i figured i would keep it all in this thread, i will try to update a little more ofter, here is the 87 runner and 88 p/u ready for paint, the finished runner, linexed floor boards and roll bar, and sr5 seat conversion let me know what you all think

Old 12-18-2009, 08:13 AM

Ohhhh you def. need some more shots of that beauty!!! Like one of the front bumper and the rear bumper, some of the inside. Take some close and some further away.

Very nice, me likely.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 AM

will do, im going to the snow on sunday so i will take some shots up there and get you some close up of the bumpers, i have added rock sliders, american racing black steelies, since these pics were taken, next up the winch..
Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 AM

here is one with the top, just set it on at the end of summer, getting it ready for winter

Old 12-18-2009, 09:26 AM

So uh..

Wanna paint mine for me??

Jk but it looks good man!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Looks good!! I like the diamond plate panels. I would love to be able to lock up the goods while the top is off.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 AM

Thanks, if i had a booth i say come on up, we did this in a garage and it was my first time painting, dont let the pics fool you, it came out good but it has its flaws, i just wont post those pics
Old 12-18-2009, 09:40 AM

Yea im not a fan of painting personally.. Probably won't ever paint mine, why cause its not worth my money. lol

The thing gets so scratched while wheeling it, its not even worth the paint.. lol
Old 12-18-2009, 10:05 AM

i agree, its a pain but it was fun and you saw the paint berfore! I just took it up to a couple of small trails in the snow last weekend and found my self real close to some trees and branches, havent washed it yet to see the "carnage" but its a wheeling rig in progress so a scratch or dent is not a real big deal.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The red..it filters thru..

Quick Reply: OrRunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread