86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

motocrossaddict's sloooow 1988 4runner builup

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motocrossaddict's sloooow 1988 4runner builup

Hey guys i bought an 88 4runner as my first car (i'm 15) in november. The truck was in good shape..no major rust, just a little under the fender trim and a spot on the driver side A pillar but that was it. The truck runs great and all we've done mechanical wise was replace all belts (including timing), the water pump, a few gaskets, fuel filter, and straight exhaust from the cat back. We've replaced almost all of the interior from the front seats back because the po cut holes in both back panels for (4) 6x9's. We put boxed 6x9 (boston's) behind the rear panels and two JL 4.5's in the front as well as two kenwood 10 shallow subs which are currently just chilling behind the rear seat. i have two amps powering all my stuff. Oh and my Alpine CDE-123(i think 123) head unit which i absolutely love! We put 08 4runner wheels on to replace some old 80's directionals. The last "upgrade" I did was blacked out lights except the headlights.
Some pics:
motocrossaddict's sloooow 1988 4runner builup-imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

motocrossaddict's sloooow 1988 4runner builup-1300044002668.jpg...

those should be before and after ext pics..yotatech won't let me post anyothers because they're too big...

Anyway i can't get a job till the end of summer and with sports i'd only be able to work on the weekends so upgrades will come very very very slow. My future plans are to do a 2in body lift( clearence for engine swap) and about a 3in suspension lift and put a set of 33's on. I also plan on tube bumpers and rock sliders. Eventually waaaay down the road when ive got about 5k laying around i wanna put a turbo supra motor or the v6 out of the current tacoma.

Any input and ideas or just comments would be greatly appreciatedhaha these guys are cool....
Old 05-28-2011, 12:57 AM

Looks like you've got a good one to start with love the 1rst gens.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Well i havent done anything else except LED taillights and int. lights and i have 1.25 in wheel spacers that i bought about 3 months ago and should finally be here on wednesday! I'll post pics when i get them and instal them
Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 AM

well its been ages since ive been able to update this but finally ive done some noticable mods.
-31x10.5x15 nexen mtr
-15x8 pacer black aluminum wheels
-ebay cold air intake (results coming soon)
-all clear light lenses (no pics as of yet)
-removed rear bumper and added dring shackles

Old 01-15-2012, 02:17 PM

probably one of my least favorite mods was my shiny new (to me) white tailgate. A strap broke when i was pulling a buddy out and went through my tailgate.. I also un-blacked my corner lights and removed my rear bumper and added shackles.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM

wow so its been forever since ive update this but during my down time ive got alot done.

first
200k!!!!

then i got my new cai installed

then i realized that i needed some sort of protection from road nasties and even worse stuff off road i made up this cover..very ugly and lame but it was dark and pooring rain..

then i painted it

then i realized it needed more air

and for all those who paid attention yes those were rivets on the air box thing...i ran out of gas for the welder..
now my current project is that white tailgate..
here it is sanded first with 120 and some bondo

then after my 2nd primer coat and

so after 3 coats of primer i got one coat of color down and that was it for tonight ill finish it tomorrow after school
Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 PM

ook so i got the tailgate painted and cleared

then i found this hole right under my emblem that was on the tailgate before..
Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM

so this weekend coming up ive got ac on the way a new power steering pump waiting installation and thursday ive got ujoints to replace. next its either time to go up in the air or put my funds towards that 5spd swap....
Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 AM

well ive run into a bit of a problem with the 3.0.. while helping me get the intake manifold off my stepdad cracked the intake and and my buddy that was helping me dropped "something" in cylinder 6. So ive decided to can this motor and drive my other truck for now until i can afford something else. What do you guys think go easier and get another 3.0 or spend a little more and get the 3.4? either way i want to swap to manual.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:03 AM

the one question i have for this swap is if i keep it auto for cost of the 3.4 i can keep my tranny but i need a auto t100 ecu and tranny controller right? but if i swap a manual i need the tranny xcase and driveshaft from a 3.0 1st gen correct?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:15 AM

so i spent all day yesterday milling over what i needed for my 3.4+manual and it will end up costing around 2K...well being only 16 i have very little income so i think now my plan is to fix the motor for now but ive found a sweet deal on the manual swap so my question is what exactly do i need? obviously tranny xfer case but do i need new drive shafts? and i also need a new ecu and tranny controller right?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are open to suggestions, I got one. Remove the exhaust tip or cut the pipe behind it so it doesn't stick out so far. Otherwise, you got a pretty nice rig there. The red emblems on the black paint look awesome
Old 03-20-2012, 10:55 AM

haha yea i already have and thanks alot of people dont like the red.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 PM

ok guys i need some help! saturday im going to pick up another 3vze and a 5spd ))) but the question i have is will my drive shaft work or do i need the guys d shaft too?...i have no lift or anything if it makes a difference.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM

well guys i got my 5 speed for my swap now that my intake is finished. So my question is do i have to wire up my brake lights or what how about reverse lights? so i have to connectors coming out of the tranny one with a pig tail one just a plug what are these? I'll post up pics tomorrow, by the way its a 3vze
Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 PM

your drive shaft prob wont work, im more of 22rs in pickups though so im not sure, you might want to grab it just in case, if your doing a manaual swap your gonna need the wiring harness and the ecu for sure, you could most likely leave it auto but thats no fun right? goodluck!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 AM

yea i picked up the shaft with it but i wont need the whole ecu i just need to basically trick the computer as far as i understand. All of the progress will be in my tranny swap thread here

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/motocrossaddicts-complete-auto-manual-swap-251508/#post51894522
Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 AM

so my next project is to get 4:88's and some 33's and i plan to get the 4:88's from a 2nd gen because i believe they were the only ones that came factory (some of them) with 4:88's. So my question is how common is finding a factory 4:88 4runner? and when i score a set what locker should i put in? I dont htink ill put in a front locker i dont want the added stress on the front cvs. I was thinking a and aussie locker but what are your guy's thoughts?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 AM

so what would you guys value my truck at? I think i want something else, i really hate my 3.0 even with the 5 speed. I cant stand all the electrical and vacuum so i think its ttime to upgrade to a 3rd gen 4runner or something. Anyways i wanna know what you guys honestly think my truck is worth to someone..before id be selling it i plan on redoing the exhaust to less in your face sound then tidy up the interior and clean clean clean and clean.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:30 PM

So i decided to ditch the cold air setup with the cone filter. It was sucking air from the engine bay= hot air. So i decided to combine the old box with the cold air pipe. I ended up having to block off one hose becasue i didnt use the other two boxes, just the filter box. Overall i love it, i feel more power but i think its just smoother power and i dont have any flat spots. This is definitely the best setup. Next im going to add a kn drop in filter.

Here's how it turned out:

Quick Reply: motocrossaddict's sloooow 1988 4runner builup