86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Jgood's 88 22re xcab Build Up thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I traded my friend some stuff for some stuf and ended up with 3/8ths plate the dead-nuts same width as the factory crossmember, up at the frame that is. So, let the welders warm up, and the plasma cut woohoo!

Yucky!

Awwww yeahhh!

I'm pretty happy with it. Strong, high clearance.

I didn't make a foreward facing skid plate that most of the aftermarket. Reason being, im making a huge aluminum undercarriage skidplate. Plan is, a ARB bullbar style bumper, but out of 1/4" aluminum. Then, a skidplate that will run down where the factory one was, but continue to the rear control arm mount. I have made, but have yet to install a rear control arm stiffener to connect the two mounts. The front plate will end there, and then the 2nd one, that will run right to the crossmember. Just cause really, it would be cool. Call me ridiculous
Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 PM

Got the motor in yesterday, and the harness almost fully installed. I made zero progress today. My friend had an awesome halloween party, but we all got sick. Something we all ate or drank didn't exactly agree with any of us. Today was a day in bed for sure.

I did however get my transmission back saturday morning. If any of you are remotely close to southern New Hampshire, and need a Manual Transmission rebuilt, look no further then Trans-Tech in Rindge, right on rt 202. I dropped it off thursday at 8am, and they called me at noon on friday, it was done, and it was only 350 bucks! Can't beat that, all new bearings and seals. They know there stuff there, and me and my friends have been doin business with them for about 6 years now. Also, they don't do automatics at all, for the record.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:12 PM

This is a great build. Good work, keep it up
Old 10-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Please don't say NEW HAMPSHIRE, I get all Verklempt. I miss that place.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Couple of things I forgot. Brakes are all bled, and no leaks! I was siked. One thing tho; factory toyota pickup steelies, do not work with the TG rear disc kit. The inner bent lip hit the face of the caliper. However; the stock alum wheels, fit fine with more then enough space for the caliper.

The pics dont really show it, but i did a timing gear kit, new oil pump, new water pump and timing cover. Funny thing was, i TOTALLY did not need to. The factory sliders weren't worn down at all, barely had a rubbing mark. The cover then obviously was fine, and the water pump seemed a tiny bit tight, but not bad at all. But, it was in front of me, it was apart, and i had everything to do it, id be silly not to while the engine is out. I did keep everything tho, just in case!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 AM

I beleive i spelled it wrong anyways, my bad. What i meant to say was New Hampsha
Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 PM

So, cruising my somewhat local yoder forum and came across this little bad larry.

Scored the flatbed itself for 50 bucks! Very simple, put together quite well, and it will work until i can afford a trip down south for a pristine bed, beucase i won't settle for any less.

My plans with the bed are pretty simple. It was made for a bobbed bed, so its a little on the short side. I want to redo the mounts to drop it down some, and also move it towards the rear more. Ill fab up some sort of pintle plate style thing for some 4" led brake and reverse lights on the back, i have the lights laying around, so might as well use them. Also, to make up for the gap in the front, i'll most likely make some sort of headache rack with small toolbox for the front. That will most likely also be where the fuel full will be. I always wanted a flatbed anyways, when im done with it, i may keep it to put on my plow truck yota, get a small sander, and go to town on some driveways
Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice start