86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Falx's '86 4Runner Tortoise Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Man I had this big old "reply" all type out, and I lost it! I hate it when that happens... just thought I'd share this article on radiators I stumbled across, after reading it I think a 2 Row aluminum radiator would work fine in our application. http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/1...rket-radiator/

I think I'm going to completely redo my cooling system, and go with a short style water pump also, that should give me more room for a new fan setup. Found this in my search
http://www.poweredbyford.com/store/F...d_289_302_351W

I wish I could help you out on the oil pan clearance issues, but since I did a SAS on mine it pretty much eliminated any issues in that department. Good luck, as always I look forward to seeing more on your build!

Last edited by rustED; 02-24-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great looking 4Runner you've got there man. I'm looking forward to seeing how your motor swap turns out as I too have been contemplating swapping a V8 in my Runner as well..! Subscribed.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Man I had this big old "reply" all type out, and I lost it! I hate it when that happens... just thought I'd share this article on radiators I stumbled across, after reading it I think a 2 Row aluminum radiator would work fine in our application. http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/1...rket-radiator/

I think I'm going to completely redo my cooling system, and go with a short style water pump also, that should give me more room for a new fan setup. Found this in my search
http://www.poweredbyford.com/store/F...d_289_302_351W

I wish I could help you out on the oil pan clearance issues, but since I did a SAS on mine it pretty much eliminated any issues in that department. Good luck, as always I look forward to seeing more on your build!
This is really good information. It seems like everyone screaming "4-CORE!" is from the copper/brass era of radiators, which kind of makes sense, because it's true with those radiators. I'll probably stick to a 2-row aluminum radiator.

Originally Posted by 51willysjeep
Great looking 4Runner you've got there man. I'm looking forward to seeing how your motor swap turns out as I too have been contemplating swapping a V8 in my Runner as well..! Subscribed.
Thanks! It's in really great shape, considering it's almost as old as I am.

In the realm of news that's not really news: I haven't accomplished anything lately.

So, my biggest hangup is that I'd really like to do this without a lift because I'd like to leave it as close to stock height as possible. Sure, it's a little rakish with my ZukMod, but it's not lifted in the traditional sense.

So, my brother and I have been comparing scars, so to speak, of car issues (his car lost a water pump bearing that shredded and took a ride through the engine), so he apparently mentioned my desire to avoid a lift and my clearance issues to a coworker. Fast forward to last night where I was up past my bedtime setting up a computer for my brother, when he mentioned then EFL said I should look into a remote oil pump/filter if I don't want to lift it.

So, now comfortably planted in the realm of "Why not?", I'm looking at a dry sump system with a shallow 4.5" low profile oil pan.

Also in the world of remote pumps, I was looking at a remote water pump that actually mounts on the radiator, which I may consider for this Unnecessarily-Complex-Things-to-Keep-it-Relatively-Stock-in-Appearance project.

Call me crazy, but I may just do it, because, Why not?

**EDIT**
Also, if thing's keep going this way, I'll have to sell some of the parts I bought preemptively like the swap oil pan from NWOR, the extra motor mounts they gave me, and the Proform electric water pump (may need a Mustang guy for that one).

I may need to make a list of the crap I bought that I shouldn't have.

Last edited by Falx; 03-01-2013 at 08:26 PM.