86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ether's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice truck!!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 AM

God that's so clean! I'm super jealous of your ARB front bumper! I like the truck minus that automatic transmission lol
+1 for this truck, very nice and simple.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
Very nice truck!!
Originally Posted by buggy_88
+1 for this truck, very nice and simple.
Thanks guys!

Im waiting on my gauge cluster to come in, as soon as i get that ill start tearing into the dash lights.

Also a bump fo rthe previous question, anyone know whether the auto t-case will bolt up to the W56? Im not sure, i have a feeling it wont.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Well, not much going on at the moment, just some tinkering and whatnot. I have to grab a new HVAC panel since mine has a hole in it. (Note to self: Dont tap on HVAC panel when cold and light goes out) I have to get a new one so i can get my overlays and leds in.

I took today off to just relax and mess around with the yota for a bit, ive been having back troubles lately, possibly from when i injured it last year, so its nice to take a day to actually relax.

Took the runner to get a christmas tree the other day! Believe it or not, that is a 9 foot tree stuffed in the back of the yota! However it didnt want to come back out again, but now my rig has a nice pine scent
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 PM

Well, ive changed my plans quite a bit. Ive been saving money for a motor swap, but im still unsure whether i want to go SBC, 4.3 v6, or 1uz. Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Also some sensible knowledge

Now a bigger problem.

I went out this morning, after we ot 8 inches or so of snow, and locked my hubs in just to be safe. (Roads were messy), i was driving down through town, probably 35-40 with the hubs locked in, in 2WD, and my steering wheel started shaking violently. After slowing down, and about 50 yards, it stopped.

About half an hour later, i put it in 4wd to get through a street that wasnt plowed, and 4wd engaged, then suddenly, i started going nowhere. I realized that my 4wd disengaged, and i threw it back in 2wd after i realized something was wrong.

I got back onto some dry asphalt, and there is now a very loud clunking noise coming from the front end that gets louder and faster obviously as i pick up speed. It does however, stop when i unlock the hubs.

Any ideas what it may be before i tear into it?

If its anything major, ill just put some of my income tax toward a SAS
Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ether
Any ideas what it may be before i tear into it?

If its anything major, ill just put some of my income tax toward a SAS
Sounds like front diff go bye bye. You are better off finding a whole replacement one from a junkyard and swapping it out whole. Could be a CV too. You can get a rebuilt one of those cheap. If it is a diff make sure the gear ratio matches. The Auto equipped 4 cylinders usually had different gears than the 5spds did.

Or find a complete set of front and rear factory 4.88's and swap them both. I know a source for them but they would have to be shipped.

Last edited by toyminator2000; 01-22-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice runner! that thing is clean!

...im still unsure whether i want to go SBC, 4.3 v6, or 1uz. Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Also some sensible knowledge
I was at that place a few years ago so i can offer what i've learned/come to realize. first, i would definitely stick with toyota. the 4.3 chevy swaps i've seen were a nightmare, get terrible mileage and the people don't seem too happy with them. just my opinion though.
If you want lots of power, a 1uz would be awesome but they're a lot of work, very expensive and your probably gonna have to do some MAJOR driveline upgrades to handle it, if you want to do it right that is. if your satisfied with a more moderate swap, there's a few other options you may consider:
7mge
3rz
i've personally done swaps with the 7m and the 3.4, neither were too terrible. i think all 3 are great motors and you can't really go wrong with any of them. there is a lot of info about them too. the 7m or the 3rz would be the simplest to swap since they would both bolt to your existing tranny. the 7m is very simple to wire but the downside of the 7m is that they are harder to find, and don't have an ideal powercurve for a truck (all the power is at high rev). still great engines though, overall i'm happy with mine.
if i were to pick one i'd go with the 3rz but it won't be a powerhouse. i'll stop my rant now, you can search yotatech and find hundreds of different engine swap write ups to help make that decision.

anyway, i agree with toyminator2000 about the noise. sounds like a diff or cv. neither are very hard to replace and like he said, perfect opportunity to regear if the diff is shot! i would hold off on SAS unless you plan on serious rock crawling. you can't beat the ride of IFS expecially for a safari/expedition rig! once again thats just my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the input guys, i really appreciate when people actually take the time to post up their 2 cents.

@ Liveoffroad:

Did you do the NA 7m? Or the 7MGTE? I would definitely be interested in going the turbo route, i dont mind finding a location for the intercooler and routing the turbo piping. I dont do a lot of hardcore wheeling, but what is your opinion between the two?

And you are saying that the 7M would bolt up to my factory auto? Would i have any problems seeing as its an electronic controlled transmission, when i swap out the 22RE ecu for the 7M ecu? Or could i eliminate that by going with a RADesigns rail shifter?

Also, would anyone mind giving their opinion on the 3RZ?

Last edited by Ether; 01-28-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Did you do the NA 7m? Or the 7MGTE? what is your opinion between the two?

And you are saying that the 7M would bolt up to my factory auto? Would i have any problems seeing as its an electronic controlled transmission, when i swap out the 22RE ecu for the 7M ecu? Or could i eliminate that by going with a RADesigns rail shifter?
there were a lot of 7m swaps a few years ago, both turbo and n/a. people seem to be going with more modern engines these days but you can still find a lot of info about them. I went the n/a route for a few reasons. the 7m is a great motor and they run forever like most toyota motors, but the turbo motors don't seem to hold up as well. i read a lot of builds before i did mine and most people who did a turbo swap ended up either selling the truck or swapping a different motor in. the biggest problem is that there's just not enough room for a good cooling system. you can see how tight it is in my build: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...-build-247093/

Those engines are notorious for hg issues and boosting greatly adds to that problem. also the 7m does not circulate oil well, adding to the cooling issue. i've heard some people have had luck with an oil cooler but i decided to just avoid the whole issue and go n/a. my engine stays cool 90% of the time with a factory cooling system. if you want more power than a 7mge, i think you'd be better off doing a 3.4 with the trd supercharger. i think that motor would hold up a lot better.
here's a great site for 7m swaps, lots of info and build threads.
www.supracharged.com

as far as the tranny goes, the w56 bolts up to the n/a 7m, but not to the turbo one. i assume that is also true for the auto's but i couldn't tell ya for sure. most engine swaps that i've seen with auto's keep the tranny and engine together, so if you went the 7mgte route i'd probably look into getting a supra tranny and adapting it to your t-case. that would make the wiring much more manageable.

Also, would anyone mind giving their opinion on the 3RZ?
vwfastg60 did a 3rz and he loves it. here's his build:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-158802/
Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 AM

nice truck. maybe you should swing your foot at your freinds A** agressive like.. as for the ARB bending, wow, that sucks.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
there were a lot of 7m swaps a few years ago, both turbo and n/a. people seem to be going with more modern engines these days but you can still find a lot of info about them. I went the n/a route for a few reasons. the 7m is a great motor and they run forever like most toyota motors, but the turbo motors don't seem to hold up as well. i read a lot of builds before i did mine and most people who did a turbo swap ended up either selling the truck or swapping a different motor in. the biggest problem is that there's just not enough room for a good cooling system. you can see how tight it is in my build: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...-build-247093/

Those engines are notorious for hg issues and boosting greatly adds to that problem. also the 7m does not circulate oil well, adding to the cooling issue. i've heard some people have had luck with an oil cooler but i decided to just avoid the whole issue and go n/a. my engine stays cool 90% of the time with a factory cooling system. if you want more power than a 7mge, i think you'd be better off doing a 3.4 with the trd supercharger. i think that motor would hold up a lot better.
here's a great site for 7m swaps, lots of info and build threads.
www.supracharged.com

as far as the tranny goes, the w56 bolts up to the n/a 7m, but not to the turbo one. i assume that is also true for the auto's but i couldn't tell ya for sure. most engine swaps that i've seen with auto's keep the tranny and engine together, so if you went the 7mgte route i'd probably look into getting a supra tranny and adapting it to your t-case. that would make the wiring much more manageable.

vwfastg60 did a 3rz and he loves it. here's his build:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-158802/
Thanks again for the awesome, well thought out input. I did a ton of reading, at least 20 7m swap threads and didnt notice anything about the headgasket, and i never gave that a thought. Im going to look a little more into the 3RZ, but when it all comes down to it, im probably going to end up going 7M variant, or save the extra cash and go 3.4 supercharged.

Ive changed my plans a lot, and seeing as im doing a lot more highway use, and not as much hardcore wheeling, im going to just save up for long arms in the front. Chaos fab makes a nice kit, but its expensive. Blazeland seems a little more cost effective.

Originally Posted by yotaman85
nice truck. maybe you should swing your foot at your freinds A** agressive like.. as for the ARB bending, wow, that sucks.
Yeah i put a lot of thought into the agressive foot in the a**, but its not going to get me anywhere. And as far as the ARB goes, i contacted them, sent tons of pics, and they agreed to send me a new one, asked for my work adress and everything, and said it would be shipped out in a week when their shipment came in.

A month later, nothing. I called again, and they apologized and said it would be shipped out. Another month and a half later, nothing. Called back again, the guy taking care of it was out of the office, and never called me back after i left a message. Its been five months now and i just gave up on them. Not too pleased with the customer service, but oh well. Im just going to take it off, pay to have it straightened at a machine shop, and sell it, then fab my own.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:08 AM

Well, the 22RE is finally on its last leg, if not dead.

Its knocking hard, burning a radiator full of antifreeze in half a day, blowing oil out the front of the motor, and blowing high pressure out through the oil fill.

So ive been rethinking my truck, the condition its in, and what i really want to do with it.

No more hardcore wheeling for the 4runner.

Ive always wanted to do some dune running, and maybe some desert racing, so im going to build the runner up towards that, and as soon as i get my business up and going, ill build a dedicated trail rig.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, on that note: Let the rebuild begin.

Here it is, the middle of february, and my motor is blown out of my dd. I found a guy with an 85 Std cab pickup, 22R, 5 speed, solid axle, with a rough bed. He has an 87 4runner that hes been dying to get a soft top for, so he said he would trade me even up for the truck.

I know there is going to be A LOT of bashing on this, but with the route i want to go with the truck, the fact that its my dd, and i need to get it done soon, i am pulling the 22RE, and putting in the 22R.

As soon as i get the truck, which the guy is delivering to our buddies garage, im pulling the 22R, cleaning it up, and doing a mild build on it.

Im going to pick up a master rebuild kit from ENGNBLDR, as ive heard a lot of good things about his parts. Im getting the package that comes with the 270/430 H/O cam, as that is the one he reccomended for my purpose.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-22R-2...item5ae50c6670

Im also going with a weber 32/36 carb. Heard good about these as well, as opposed to the holleys.

Ive been looking at the Offy intake manifolds, does anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth the money, or should i just stick with the stock manifold?

Now here is the big question, When mating the 22R to my tranny, the A340F, the only main problems i can think of are the kickdown cable, and the fact that its controlled by the ECU. If i leave the ECU in, will it still shift the tranny correctly, or does it also rely on signals from the 22RE?

Would i be better off going with a RADesigns rail shifter?
http://radesignsproducts.com/14Shiftcontrollers.aspx

Im going to talk to R.DesJardin about it a little more as well.

Stay tuned, ill probably be putting the solid axle out of the 85 for sale, as well as my ARB with the Smittybilt in it after i get the lower mount straightened.

I cant wait to get started

Last edited by Ether; 02-12-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:50 AM

dang dude you should have told me I would have given you a good deal on my 22RE.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 AM

Its all good man, ive never had a problem with a carbed vehicle, im really excited for this build to be honest. Hows your om617 swap coming along?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:15 AM

Well I haven't done anything with it yet. I just had twin girls and bought another business with my dad. So I have been super busy. I did pick up a set of chevy 63 for my rear.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 AM

Well congrats on the girls, and good luck on the business!

I was thinking about the 63" Chevys for the rear, Or possibly Deavers when the time comes. Let me know how they turn out
Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 PM

sorry to hear about the motor, the 22r will treat you right... its kinda refreshing to see a practical decision on a build tho instead of everyone just dumping tons money into a truck that they don't have.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Hey E not sure if you are going to have an extra tranny in the deal. but I had a guy call me to ask me if I was selling a W56 with my 22re which I'm not. do you want his number? maybe be you can make a extra buck.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
sorry to hear about the motor, the 22r will treat you right... its kinda refreshing to see a practical decision on a build tho instead of everyone just dumping tons money into a truck that they don't have.
Thanks man. Thats the kind of feedback i like to hear. Ive read too many threads with people asking for tech help and just getting bashed for ditching the EFI. A carb can be just as efficient as long as you keep it tuned and maintained.

Originally Posted by B-yodaful
Hey E not sure if you are going to have an extra tranny in the deal. but I had a guy call me to ask me if I was selling a W56 with my 22re which I'm not. do you want his number? maybe be you can make a extra buck.
Yeah if you wouldnt mind that would be awesome. If you could, just shoot it to me in a PM. Im going to end up selling the ARB/Smittybilt combo, the Solid axle from the 85, and whatever else i can off the donor. I should be able to break even for parts, and maybe some sweet high clearance fenders
Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM

The ARB and Smittybilt winch are for sale in the classifieds forum as of today.

Also looking for various 22R Performance parts, Weber 32/36 carb, intake, header, etc.

Since ive got some downtime before i get the donor truck, im going to start working on the LED dash swap. Ill do my best to make a picture filled, documented write up for the first gen runners and second gen pickups.

Last edited by Ether; 02-19-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Ether's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread