86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

darionlear 91 Ext Cab Build-Up Thread *Pic Heavy*

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darionlear 91 Ext Cab Build-Up Thread *Pic Heavy*

Here is the build thread for my 91 Ext Cab PickUp.

Just so that everyone knows this will be very pic heavy and be getting more and more crap added over time.

I've had 4x4s for years and had always wanted a Toyota PickUp but had never came across one I liked. From Jeeps to Tahoes... Explorers.. ect...

And finally this last year *March* I just happened to find one on the local craigslist. lol..

The owner wanted to sell it for 4k... he had just rebuilt the engine and had an extra V6 3.0 engine for it. He bought it as a second Toyota and ran into some troubles himself and wanted to sell it to make some cash. Well, after looking over everything and picking all the wrongs out I convinced him to 2800... SOLD!!! lol... bought it bone stock... all suspension and engine, exhaust.. ect... only thing that wasn't stock were a set of 31' Cooper Tires.

The first thing I did was update the tint... 5% all around with a brow...
Second was add a Cobra 40 Channel CB with Dual Antennas... blah, blah..

Now to the major upgrades...

Here I've done the Chevy 63' long spring upgrade...

Bilstein Shocks
Chevy 63' Springs
&
Skys Kit for the upgrade...

So here is how she sat before I started... nice.. but not NICE...

Bed removed... not everyone does this... but i did.. just so that EVERY angle that needed to be welded... could be... *yes, I did remove the tank*

Stock sit with no bed

Me getting my grease on!

Rear OEM hangers off!

Go figure! Damn lazy ass jerk that was responsible for doing this! Seriously? I mean, WHO PUTS CRAP LIKE THIS?

The pulling of all crap off continues...

OEM 43' to Chevy 63'! >=)

OEM springs off!

The old parts pile is starting to grow now!

Test fitting the new Springs with the Ubolt Flip kit!

Everything measured just to make sure it's all even on both sides... Everyone says that with these on the ride is better... smoother... Once done, if done right... I AGREE! like gliding.. compared to OEM

Good buddy of mine... cutting off the OEM

Say goodbye!!!

11' up from OEM... huge difference.. lol

Some serious stuff here!

Very good quality... Sky stuff is amazing and cust support was great

Measure twice, cut once!

I was obsessed with making sure it was correct...

Temp jig allows to tac weld before full bead weld... get even and fitted on both sides

Tank removed! all sides welded for new front hangers!

Eventually I'm gonna relocate the tank and remove the bed... Full tube frame in the rear instead

Both front hangers ready for full weld!

Tank removed allows for inside weld... which otherwise wouldn't be in reach...

I'm grinding down the cross member... after discussion we decided it was best instead of welding the pipe on both sides to the shock hoop to cut it and weld a long bead on top and bottom to the cross member... more support... more secure...

Time to sawzall the shock hoop to the length I want

Test Placement for the top mount and bottom tabs for new bilstein shocks

welding on the new rear hangers

Strong full bead all around all new hangers.

AND BOOM!!! rear is ass high now! lol... great clearance and articulation...

Next? SAS!!!!

Hope you guys liked and keep liking when I update as I go along!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Update 5/29/12

So, my father inlaw pointed out this little crap yesterday ... guess I'm buying tires sooner than I wanted.... I want to keep a knobby MT.... any suggestions?

Last edited by darionlear; 05-29-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Looks good man.

The BFG KM2 is a good knobby that also has good street manners. Ive also seen some sets of the Procomp Xtreeme MT lasting up to 40-50k miles.

And the stock rear springs are 51", not 46.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Looks good man.

The BFG KM2 is a good knobby that also has good street manners. Ive also seen some sets of the Procomp Xtreeme MT lasting up to 40-50k miles.

And the stock rear springs are 51", not 46.
Thanks for the correction.. as you see I posted at wee hours... lol

And those look nice, I'll see if I can find a set locally to see if I like
Old 05-29-2012, 08:55 AM

love the truck, one of my fav years
Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 AM

Question

Originally Posted by hiemsnox
love the truck, one of my fav years
Thanks ! I had wanted one for so long... lol, over the next year... you'll see this one evolve
Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
subscribed. awesome place you have to work on your rig, there.

odd question: when you removed the filler neck from the bed, did you have any issues with those 3 screws?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
subscribed. awesome place you have to work on your rig, there.

odd question: when you removed the filler neck from the bed, did you have any issues with those 3 screws?
Thanks! Lol, yes.... the shop is a definite plus... good buddy of mine owns three... gives me full access whenever I want. >=)

as for filler neck... nope. No issue ... if there's an issue I'd imagine its because grime build up... just give it a good jerk and it should pop right in...

Thanks for the sub. :-)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 AM

one thing I'd suggest if your thinking of SASing soon I wouldn't spend much on a new set of tires considering that a set of tires is the same price as the front SAS kit. but thats just my .02
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by VANCE164
one thing I'd suggest if your thinking of SASing soon I wouldn't spend much on a new set of tires considering that a set of tires is the same price as the front SAS kit. but thats just my .02
No... its a good suggestion... I'm budgeting 1500 total for the SAS... that's all including for solid.... I do all my own work so no money loss there

Thankfully here in El Paso there is a place that sells full used sets with 80% life left... I'm only looking at 200 at this time for "just now". So I can do the sas and over time save for the serious swamper set. >=)
Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 PM

Very nice, looks great! Are you looking to get bigger tires or stick with your current size?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by nieb15
Very nice, looks great! Are you looking to get bigger tires or stick with your current size?
not sure yet... currently on 31s... considering going to 33s'. with the rear long spring and SAS the 33s' would work great.. gonna be a mud machine! >=)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Nice work so far, keep posting updates, truck look great....Bill
Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Nice work so far, keep posting updates, truck look great....Bill
Thanks!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:34 PM

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Update 5/30/12

CB/Communication Setup...

so here is how I have the CB set up... I run a 40 channel Cobra CB with dual antennas. This CB radio is a pretty bulky model and it was hard to find a spot for it that wouldn't get in the way or cause too much work. lol... I ended up just cutting into the support and cover under the center dash. I was at first going to cut the two metal brackets that were there but found they were support bearing for the radio above so I nixed that... I just used a hack saw and cut into the metal brackets the exact same shape and size of the radio.. then slid it in.. lol... *sorry*.. it's a pretty snug fit so it doesn't come out unless I hit a really hard bump... but normal driving it never moves.. I then ran the cb antennas under the carpet and via the frame out to the rear of the cab... there were two rubber grommets that I just punched out and fed the antennas through... then used a silicone to seal back up... just enough length to go up to the mounted antennas on the bed... Just used a drill to match the width of the antenna base thread and used a washer to secure... used some locktight so nobody can remove and walk away... done! great for off roading and keeping in touch with other rigs... I had done this before the chevy leaf springs but hadn't posted pics until now.

Nice and clean mount.. picked these base mounts up from a local truck stop... the sit nice and when torked down they dont move for anything.. lol

super clean and the wires are not easy to get to.. made me feel much better... this way no "hooligans" can cut the wires for any reason. yes, we have jerks like that in my area.

The radio sits nice and snug... and its out of the way... the shifter clears it by like three centimeters

From the side its easy on the eyes.. no wires

From the driver seat... I'm super big OCD... and the fact that the radio off center kills me at time. But knowing the support is direct center with the truck and the dash is designed at an angle for the driver kinda puts me at ease. lol

And... a nice warning to those would be car jackers.... if someone has a gun sticker on their truck.. it's not the best idea to try to jack them.

Hope you guys liked my CB set up... I'm gonna do a HAM later... just haven't figured out how to mount it yet.

-daniel
Old 06-02-2012, 05:05 PM

Went out and did a little desert shooting .. here's a little video I thought you all would like... *out of the rear of my Yota*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=831D...e_gdata_player

http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3...hk&h=SAQEGR9FR

Last edited by darionlear; 06-02-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:16 PM

Looks like a good start.I have the same CB as you,but I run a 102in whip antenna.