86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

c0ugar69's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea a little. got my amp installed for the sub woofer, sounds pretty good, nothing too fancy. I was gone all weekend with the boyscouts so didnt get to do much elso to the runner. next project will be to install the manuel locks that are on the way. will get some more pics up soon.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Right on, Cougar!

What locks did you get? Sorry, didn't see that one....
Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 AM

BTW, I had MANY issues with those Auto Locking Hubs(if that's what you're talking about, hahaha), and they got me stuck more than once. Once you get stuck, I believe it takes a 1/4 turn in reverse to lock em again, if they get out of 4wd. LOVE my Warn Premiums, ...they've never let me down in 20 or so trips. Got em at 4Wheelparts on sale for 98$, full kit! Put some new Koyo Bearings and new Rotor while in there, lol.

Looking forward to your progress, Cougar, ttysoon.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:43 PM

look what i got yesterday..thank you GRAVY...

so now to take them apart to clean them.

next i cleaned them then painted them..

be careful not to loose this spring and ball. very small and easy to go missing if your not careful.

installed the back part on the axle, then put the painted cover on. I put now star gasket and the circle flange gasket. didnt put too much grease because i heard it will keep the hub from engaging.

there it is all complete. I got a smokin deal on these thanks to a fellow yota member.

also put on new wires, cap and rotor. it was idleing a little ruff so i figured i would at least do that.looks like a real 4x4 with the locks on..
Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 PM

I like the red bolts, it gives it a different look.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 PM

i thought Id make it match, it did come out better than i thought it would. I had a silver paint pen that I used to do the lettering. Next on the list of 2 dos is to change out the clutch. I am gona replace the flywheel. wonder if I can just get the heavy duty pressure plate. the clutch only has 900 miles on it but its grabbing way at the top so either the flywheels bad or the clutch sucks. so can i get the mc pressure plate and reuse my disc?? might be a way to save a little funds. the disc looked good. another thing is that I think the rear main is leaking. this really sucks. Only 900 miles on the engine and a leak already. good thing i have to drop the tranny anyways so i will try to do the seal again. unless its the oil pan. wont know till i get the tranny down. this runner is a never ending project. the old lady said its a money pit!!! I am starting to believe her! but its a fun pit to be in!!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 PM

Looking great, cougar, ....and I'll be starting mine up tomorrow, most likely! Fhewwww, hahaha. DANG I like those tires......where'd ya get'em again?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 PM

ive got an 89 as well, and wow, i really like what youve done with yours! definitely gonna have to try what you did with the side panels in the back!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:11 PM

Glad you liked the panels. wasnt too hard, I took out the old panels and traced the pattern onto my board, cut it out and glued carpet on it.

On a side not Great news, I got my clutch fixed. dropped the tranny yesterday, I thought it was the fly wheel so I ficked up a new one. it wasnt that so i took the pressure plate with me to napa to compare to one they had and the fingers on mine were way to low compared to theres, so my dad called the supplier where we got it and we took it over and they brought out another one and as before the pressure plate was different so they warrantied it for us, put the new clutch in today and its great, not grabbing at the top anymore, not grabbs way towards the floor, no more slipping worries, and the rear main seal isnt the leak its the valve cover, so all in all it worked out good, gona put a new valve cover set on tommorrow. I think I finally almost have all the bugs worked out. I took the sway bar off when i dropped the tranny and left it off. will see how I like it. I also have springs on the way for the ZUK mod. cant wait.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 PM

chefyota the tires are from Treadwright.com
Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 PM

Thanks, Cougar! ....

Looking forward to MORE PICS! LOL.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:05 PM

PS> How you like those tires? ......you have the Guard Dog 31x10.5x15's on there?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:54 AM

yes, so far they seem pretty good. Havent done any trail riding yet so cant really say how well they work for that yet. Sorry I dont have any pics. I worked on the runner at my dads after work and forgot the camera. I will get some pics in the next couple of days. I have some new door locks to install and I will be doing the Zuk mod soon with pics. springs should be here next week.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 AM

Sweet, can't wait. BTW, I was asking cuz, when oil goes up, TIRES GO UP, lol...and new BFG 31x10.5x15's are like 152 EACH!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:54 PM

yea I hear ya, moneys tight for me so I went with the treadwrights. they seem pretty good so far, everyone that sees them is drooling over them, they cant even tell there retreads. Oh and got the new door locks in that i bought off ebay for 30. and i didnt take any pics. sorry i forgot, i was excited to have her home after the clutch job. but I will take pics during ZUK mod. I promise.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great Job... Congrats...
Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
yea I hear ya, moneys tight for me so I went with the treadwrights. they seem pretty good so far, everyone that sees them is drooling over them, they cant even tell there retreads. Oh and got the new door locks in that i bought off ebay for 30. and i didnt take any pics. sorry i forgot, i was excited to have her home after the clutch job. but I will take pics during ZUK mod. I promise.
SWEET, can't wait for the pics! Btw, I didn't read back through your post.....but was it you that put a rear window switch in the back? Just curious, cuz I REALLY want to do that! Not to mention a dome light, lol.

Zuk Mod, eh? Got the sag, too?
Old 05-30-2010, 06:16 PM

here is a side shot for Chefyota

and here is a shot from the track

I got my a/c compressor back in and the thing is leaking from the case now, dad had to open the case to get the shaft seal in right and the kit didnt come with a o-ring to fit my case. this is really starting to upset me and its getting really hot here. also I need a new vavle for the idle up, I am getting 12v to it but its not working. owell I hope I get some cash then I can just get a new compressor and be done with it.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:20 PM

also with the sway bar out i notice i get more tire rub in the front when backing out of the driveway, I think its cause its more flexable now, I think after the zuk mod i will need to tighten the front torsion bars a bit. will see. clutch seems to be working ok now, and gas milage sucks, I am getting about 16-17 mpg, I was getting that with my f150 4x4 with a 5.4 v8 what is up with that???
Old 05-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Hey Cougar, thanks for the pic! Yer Boy looks like he was ready to STOMP SOME HEADS! lol....Hey, that's the look you need for X-Games, eh?!?!?!

Hmmmmmm, on the A/C, THAT SUCKS, and I can relate....I got a guy to do real Freon for me about 2004, but since then, it's all leaked out, slowly, and I can't afford the switch over to R---whatever it is. lol. Guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and have it done by a guy I know....He says I have to do a mod to the air-box(???)..not sure he said Air Box, per say, but anyway...., it's getting warm here, also(88 the other day) and it WILL get up to 98 or so here in full summer.....AND NO, GUYS, I'm not complaining, hahaha....I lived in PHX for 3 years, hottest years on record for 26 years(97-99), and I can take it, ...but WHY NOT HAVE A/C, RIGHT COUGAR? lol. So, you got a kit for the A/C?

16-17, eh? Hmmmm, that's pretty low, but not HORRIFIC, especially for a first gen. I get about 22mpg out of mine, before the rebuild, and I haven't checked since I've added the redone injectors, header or cold air intake, ...so we'll see. I doubt it will do much. BUT I'LL TAKE ANYTHING AT 3.16$ A GALLON, EH? .....Thanks, Nancy! lol.

Quick Reply: c0ugar69's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread