86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

BlackStone 1992 4Runner SAS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlackStone 1992 4Runner SAS

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Scott, I am 29 and drive Semi-truck for FedEx Freight. This is My second 4runner, I recently purchased this project a few weeks ago. Plans are to upgrade the parts that the PO skipped on. It is not my DD, and will be more of a beat around rig. As I have a 2009 Tacoma that I use for DD and such.

I am fairly certain the body is a 92' 4Runner on 1985 Running gear, but the frame is a 92. Although, for some ignorant reason the PO opted to weld on the 85' steering and box. I dont know why..he definitely went backwards. Also has no powersteering as of right now. Luckily I still have parts from my 90' SAS rig I flopped back in 2008 like my IFS steering box, longfields, u-bolt flips, a few other odds and ends.

The specs on the rig are:

22R, G52, 4.7 single case

4.88's F&R w/ LocRite

35" Toyos, temporarily.

4" Trail Gear leafs.

Weber 32/36

To Do List:

Clean up wiring

Timing chain kit and cover leak

Tune the Weber and install new carter pump.

Powersteering pump

Hi-steer w/ IFS box

New Clutch MC 1,200lbs.

Fresh Leafs and ditch the rear block

Current issues............................................ .....A lot.

When I purchased the rig there was no Heat, no lights, signals, speedo, gauges. Leaked oil from the usual spots, timing cover, and oil pump seal. The Weber was dirty clogged full of sand and the air filter was practically taped to the carb. There's enough old wiring that you could probably build another vehicle. Yes, its one of those hacked wiring jobs that keep you awake at night wondering how you're going to overcome this dilemma. Truck has some scary Death wobble, as well no power steering.

So far I have fixed the oil seal leak using the typical Type T seal, and replaced it with a new oil pump. unfortunately after I did this, The timing cover started to leak. Hopefully I will be able to re-use the Type T seal. I have also replaced the heater fan switch, and wired all the signals, headlights and gauges. Still have no dashlights or interior lights....

So the Saga continues, and I will keep updating as I go.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:54 PM

When I got the truck home, first thing I did was tear into the dash. After about 15 minutes; I think I found the culprit..

Good Lord, how didn't this truck catch fire?! Obviously it has been done before as well, seeing that this must be another pigtail that was "wired" together. I went to the local pick and pull, found a new pigtail, replaced it with a new switch from autozone. Soldered the connections and used heatshrink on the exposed solder. Works good as new now.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, that's some scary wiring, like you said, I'm surprised she didn't catch fire! I hope all goes well on the re-wiring project. So you currently don't have high-steer? What did the PO do, hack together the old push pull steering off the 85?.... Some of the things people do, you gotta wonder what the heck they were thinking, not worth the risk just to save a few bucks! Looks like it will be a really nice rig once you get all the PO's hacks fixed, lol. I have some rewiring to do on my latest project as well, I can see a bunch of wire nuts showing through the gap in my steering column cover...wire nuts are never a good sign, lol. Good luck on the project, and welcome to Yotatech!

Last edited by rustED; 12-24-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:01 PM

Thanks Rusted! Yes, he welded the old push pull gear box to the ifs frame. He said something about the old steering box being broken and didnt want to mess with replacing the IFS box...I really dont understand why!? The holes for the IFS box are there, then it was plated over for the old gear box(push/pull style) It hurts my brain thinking about it.

I have an IFS box from my 90' and a few pitman arms; flat and normal drop. Need to save for hy-steer, because the flex and geometry are all way off. I haven't welded in years since I rolled my 90' back in 2008. I don't own a welder anymore either, sold my miller because I didn't think I would need it. Hindsights always 20/20...

Agreed. Wire-nuts, always mean shotty work. I get if it were to be temporary, but they should be left alone or for a permanent wire job.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Where to start? Lately it's been a never ending battle with wiring issues, broken parts, electric fans...

I recently fixed my powersteering pump, went to install the belt only to realize I needed an extra pulley.

New power steering pump.

The moment I realized I needed an extra pulley..

I went to the local junkyard and found a accessory pulley from a 1980 mini-truck 2wd.

Pulled from a 1980 2wd

Then I thought it would be a good idea to find a Taurus and gut it for its fan. I've done the mod before on my past 4Runner, without any issues.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:13 PM

Unfortunately this time I wasn't so lucky, and the first speed bump out of my neighborhood the fan decided to bite the brass radiator.

Ouch....

It was time for a new one anyways.

When the PO swapped in the 22R, he didn't re-use the 3.0 radiator, not sure why?

Old and broken, no thanks to my electric fan...the irony

Rusty muddy engine bay...drives me crazy. Cannot wait until warmer weather to start painting.

Old vs New 3.0 rad

Went back to the stock clutch fan like many wise members suggested I do. Makes everything look so ugly, being that it's so new.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:22 PM

After the new radiator was installed I decide to replace some old parts.

I replaced my corners with clear ones, because the previous corners were broken and filled up with water. I bought these off eBay for cheap and must say the quality is there.

Then I replaced the old B&M t-handle shift knob, and transfer case knob for new round ones. White for the transmission and a grey one for the t-case. Not sure why, but I like this simple mod a lot.

Also cleaned up my engine bay, new gas lines, cleaned up some electrical connections, as well a new airfilter for the Webber.

A little better, always room for progress.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:00 PM

I'm digging it, man. Nice work! Once March hits, I need to get my '86 running again. I went to school up in Seattle BTW...miss the NW!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 PM

I was wondering, what size tires and gearing are you planning to use? Maybe hydro might be a better bet for steering? I just imagine that 22R getting bogged bad...
Old 01-07-2016, 08:41 PM

37's, 5.29s, duals. Installing IFS box and hi-steer soon. Thinking PSC for steering.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your making alot of progress, I really like the look of the clear corner marker lens! Who did you get your replacement radiator through? The PO of my 4runner replaced my radiator with one that has plastic tanks, I'd like to replace it someday. I'm looking forward to spring/summer warm weather as well, I have alot of cleaning and painting to do! What kind of stereo do you have, looks like a touch screen.

Last edited by rustED; 01-09-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by rustED
Your making alot of progress, I really like the look of the clear corner marker lens! Who did you get your replacement radiator through? The PO of my 4runner replaced my radiator with one that has plastic tanks, I'd like to replace it someday. I'm looking forward to spring/summer warm weather as well, I have alot of cleaning and painting to do! What kind of stereo do you have, looks like a touch screen.
Thanks rust3d!

I bought it from Macs radiator located here in Portland. They swore by the plastic tank w/ aluminum core. It was only $78 dollars too; Limited Lifetime warranty. They said I would never have to worry about the tank corroding ever and I can use any color fluid without issue. I guess rad fluid color doesn't matter either in an 85' 22R. I'm sure people used anything they had laying around way back when.

Stereo is a powerAcoustik single din. It's alright, but just that. It came in a box of parts with the rig and was surprised it worked when I plugged it into to the harness that was already wired.

Last edited by BlackStone; 01-09-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Dude 3.0 to 22r swap..interesting

Cool runner!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Dude 3.0 to 22r swap..interesting

Cool runner!
Thank you! Definitely an interesting choice by the PO. I would like a V6 though, I am afraid of dumping money into this motor and still being displeased with power output. For the time being though I will deal with it, but in the future I think a 3.4 or 3RZ would be perfect for what I want.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:37 PM

I'm with you on the 22re performance gains. I'm figuring out if I should rebuild my 22re or do the 3.4 swap. Leaning toward the 3.4 cause it would be a night and day difference.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
I'm with you on the 22re performance gains. I'm figuring out if I should rebuild my 22re or do the 3.4 swap. Leaning toward the 3.4 cause it would be a night and day difference.
Imagine. Hitting the gas and going places, versus hitting the gas and wondering if it will still be there when you arrive...
Old 01-12-2016, 10:22 AM

Haha exactly^^
Old 01-13-2016, 12:58 PM

Hey guys, wondering if anyone could identify this plug for me? From the looks of it, I think the PO did the GM 1-wire mod? It has a chrome alternator with "1-wire" leading to it.

Here's the plug, not connected to anything.

In my best Arnold. "What the Hell are you?"

Last edited by BlackStone; 01-13-2016 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 01-13-2016, 01:14 PM

Well, I was under the truck the other day. And couldn't get over the fact this does not look like the frame of a 90's rig. I found the frame VIN under some paint and mud. Buffed and ran it, it's an 85'-86'....very sad.

I also saw this, how I didn't catch this is beyond me. The cringe is strong with my project...

Shock too short? No problem! Just use some exhaust pipe, and your problems solved............................................ .....

Now I know why this thing rides like a shopping cart...

I want to buy new shocks, but I would really like to take out that block while maintain somewhat the same amount of lift. I don't want to buy shocks just yet, until I remove the block. Any suggestions on a donor for a homemade leaf pack??

Last edited by BlackStone; 01-13-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:50 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
what the heck are people thinking...
I wonder where you're headed with the build now. Does the frame being older change anything?

Quick Reply: BlackStone 1992 4Runner SAS