86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

7m's swapped & sas' d 87 extended cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's my rides. an 87 toyota 4x4 and an 85 supra, i also have an 87 supra.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:01 AM

hey guys.figured there's enough of you guys watching now i could ask a couple questions..

this plug here i had a question about. it was on the passenger side, down low connected to what i would say was the reverse lights. the other half isn't connected to any thing. the white plug.

i also found the starter selinoid trigger wire was attached to this harness.

i belive i found the old coil power wire, im going to attach this to the yellow c1 plug to give it power thats the (black /red wire from the green plug.)

i have the heater core hose's on now . and really hope i dont have to pull the engine back out, i used the truck through out fork and the supra t/o bearing.

also found one of the old heater core hose's, i was able to mod to fit the idle speed control vavle to throttle body.

also removed the old vaccume line that run's across the fire wall, and made a short bend from a section that fit's nicely on the supra motor.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:18 AM

That's a sweet MKII man, I just finished a 1J swap into a MKIII. I'm almost positive that connector you are talking about goes to the transmission, is your harness for an auto tranny? I can look on my auto harness when I get home and double check it for you. Only think that might be important on it is the wire that you need to jump for the NSW.

Why do you have to splice the wire going into the coil? SHouldn't it just plug into your engine harness?

Last edited by ronnie4; 01-30-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The radiator mounts came out awesome fits right in there.
Looks like your almost ready for cranking that baby.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 AM

nice ron, thats the next swap i am going to do. well after i install a tranny in my honda and get it sold, i have the swap already just need to extend the harness and wire it up. make motor mounts and exhaust.

the coil on the 7mge is powered through the harness, but the oil connector for the old coil has a power wire in it, that C1 should be able to use, it's a switched power already on a fuse, IIRC the wire on c1 i am wanting to hook it up to power's the injectors coil and idle speed controll motor.

yeah the rad is looking pretty promissing. still haven't finished the mount's for it. i spent most of yesterday doing the cheapest fixt on my supra, i had made custom wire's for the car 2 years ago and they started to "leak" the other day after a bad ran storm and just kept getting worse, so when my supra sounded like a subie, i grabbed some rtv and re-sealed the boots and coated 6 inches of the wire. :p miss went away.

i might get lucky and lift my truck and put the 33's on it today.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 AM

I think you might need a body-lift after all.
A good tweak of the motor may knock off or damage one of the heater core lines. It looks pretty tight in there.
I think a 1" body-lift would do the trick most likely. They aren't that expensive less than $100 for one I think.
You can get one here: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

Last edited by 934rnr; 01-30-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome build thus far, first time ive seen it. Keep up the great work man.

*subscribing*
Old 01-30-2009, 11:17 AM

well if i can repostion the worm clamp's on the heater core i might do alright.

time will tell
Old 01-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Well I got my 22re pulled tonight, hopefully I will get the 7m mounted tomorrow. I looked and I don't think there is any way to use the supra power steering line because it doesn't go into the rack anywere near where it does on the 4runner. I think I've heard of a few people reusing the stock 4runner line and rebending it. You found a solution yet?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:29 PM

i was going to wait till i got paid to worry about that. :p

im going to take the line off and bring it to my hydrualic shop in town, and have it made from a stainless steel braided line.
it's a funny fitting though, like 13mm x1.50 or some thing. most toyota is 1.25 treads per inch, and it's hard to find the correct fitting but it is made.

it is important to make sure what ever you have made is good for atleast 2000psi, most power steering unit's will make 1500psi when at full lock, or the tire is bound.

i figured the p/s line will cost me between 35-70 bucks.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 PM

so i changed out my tires. i didn't measure the ground clearence i was gaining but i figured it was atleast 2.5 inch's under the diff's.

here's the stock tire height

average height of 33's.

The white rim is my spare, i will run it untill i find a good 33 to replace the other junker i have, figured i'll save on mounting and balencing.

i put my two good tire's in the rear so if the truck has an alignment problem or i add spacer to the balljoints i can just align it my self and not worry about horrible wear.

here's the clearence behind the front wheels.

i might have to clearence the fenders some if i leave it this height. i'll see soon though.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Add mud and sawzall fenders as needed. Looks ready to go!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by DC.Woods
Add mud and sawzall fenders as needed. Looks ready to go!

thats soo how im feeling

we've had some new rain here and the elevation has been low enough for the foot hills of the cascade to get good snow, so wheeling can be an every day thing here not just a weekend camp out any more ! lLOL

STILL A LIST OF THINGS TO DO THOUGH!

so far this is what i can think of, well after a 6pack.

- upper rad hose.
- correctly time the dist
- double check all bellhousing bolts
- finished welding rad mounts in, so far they look to be in good postion so long as i dont get in a wreck.....
- weld supports and braces for front end to help protect rad....
- solder my harness into the exsisting wiring in the truck.
- drop the tank and add efi fuel pump
- make an exhaust.
- install LSD's
- bj spacers?
- extended shackles.
- detail write up of how to install supra seat's into Supra Truck.
- also my passenger wheel locker one dissengage.

... oh yeah ..almost forgot.

-fix bhg if motor shows signs.

this motor was free....

to me, it was worth the drive for, crank and rods alone, but i left the motor together. not needing it atm.

more and more supra related stuff went on, and i decided i might just sell the engine...
after looking with new 4x4 pick up's with my friend, i decided i should invest in one, and i had a perfect motor for a project truck.,

i swaped oil pump's and pans with a 5mge which give the 7mge supra motor a front sump pan, which seems to make motor swaps into earilier modles easier.

while in the bottom end i quickly felt the rod's for excesive tolorence, and none was felt by hand.

so yeah there could be error, but i feel i have a good bottom end.
still doesn't matter since i have other supra motor's on hand. and aqquiring them doesn't seem to be a problem.

well this brings me here....

i cant belive this. i only came in for the camera so i could take some pictures of the next harness i was making, and of the hub im taking off my truck. it's seized.....

Last edited by 7m4x4dude; 01-31-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:03 AM

detail write up of how to install supra seat's into Supra Truck.
lol I know what you mean I put MR2 seats in my 82 truck that was fun actually.

All I had to do was drill another hole on one side and use some washers to shim one side of it.

looks like u need about 3 more of those mt/r's and your golden.

Hey you should get some cheap lift shackles in the back.
Mine were the universal advance auto specials $15 I paid for them I think. I'll change them out for springs eventually.
That would give you a little room between the tire and the bed that's all I did in the back of mine.

Last edited by 934rnr; 01-31-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:26 PM

Look like your coming along nicely, I made some good progress today. Here is a pic of my engine bay as it sits right now. DO you know which fuel line is feed/return? I think feed is at the rear of the rail and return is at the front but I'm just not sure.
Attached Thumbnails 7m's swapped & sas' d 87 extended cab-p1010647.jpg  
Old 02-01-2009, 01:10 AM

well it doesn't really matter , unless all the stock parts are there.

other words you can make either side the feed side, but the rail is fed from the rear and returns from the front.

you have a fuel pressure dampener on the inlet side to dampen the pulsing of the fuel, and a regulator to restrict the amount of flow to the return line on the outlet side of the fuel rail.

ps, very nice, was your's a efi modle to start out? oh and im so jacking that coil location, i have mine up to high and doesn't fit the stock wires...
Old 02-01-2009, 07:27 AM

Yep EFI from the start, so wiring should be easier. I had the same problem with you as far as the coil goes, mine was mounted up higher and all of the wires wouldn't reach. Thanks for your advice on how to get the engine in there, worked just fine for me. I just had to do it twice because I forgot to put the back cover plate on the first time.

Originally Posted by 7m4x4dude
well it doesn't really matter , unless all the stock parts are there.

other words you can make either side the feed side, but the rail is fed from the rear and returns from the front.

you have a fuel pressure dampener on the inlet side to dampen the pulsing of the fuel, and a regulator to restrict the amount of flow to the return line on the outlet side of the fuel rail.

ps, very nice, was your's a efi modle to start out? oh and im so jacking that coil location, i have mine up to high and doesn't fit the stock wires...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:21 AM

thats great to hear!

even better it worked twice i think... LOL

yeah pretty much having an efi modle upgrades your fuel lines, add's an electric fuel pump, and upgrades the wiring to have an efi relay, Circuit opening relay
Old 02-02-2009, 05:54 AM

More pics.....
Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 AM

Well I tried to put my radiator in last night ( stock 22re radiator), it touches the front crankshaft pulley, so I'm going to have to figure something else out. I'll probably grab a supra radiator form the local junkyard and go from there.

Last edited by ronnie4; 02-02-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 7m's swapped & sas' d 87 extended cab