86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1993 4Runner "Bertha"

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1993 4Runner "Bertha"

My names Ben, i'm only 18 and i am from Saint John, N.B, Canada and i'd thought id start a build up thread on my Runner since its time to make it more off road worth.

Little story on the old slug,
I bought it august 22, 2011 for 1300$. Came with brand new 31's which are awesome, its an automatic, 3.0l, 4x4, SR5, no ac, leaky valve covers, one of the solenoids in the tranny is going so its a stand-o-matic, and the heater doesnt always work, rear window doesnt work, no antenna, and a cassette player! it has some quirks but i always have a smile on my face when im in it, and its keeps my friends laughing and it gives them something to tease me about. I thought i'd have it on the road and inspected by October 16 when i got my licence, but you know how deadlines work. On the east coast things here like to rust and rust bad, since i'm only 5 minutes from the Atlantic. so i tore into it and it needed shocks and brakes and the fluids changed and "some body fill" one of the solenoids in the tranny is going so it was a stand-o-matic , but i thought do it right the first time! so heres what happened.
Both front fenders
drivers side front door
passenger side rear door
bulbs all around
new rockers, both sides
quarter pannels
some holes in the rear wheel wells
a nice dent in the right quarter
filler neck
rear window motor
shocks
steering stablizer
brakes
lower control arm mounts
rear drums
all the hardware
drilled the cat out
wheel bearings and the front brass bushings
pinion seals
ebrake cable
maf sensor
new coil
fix up some of the scarry wiring jobs between the remote starter and the offroad lights it was a mess! It passed inspection on april 25th with flying colors!

wheeled it a bunch, drove it down the stairs at school as a bet, had fun.

Then with the black fenders and the four shades of primer (which was fine by me, but not by the po po) it was time for paint, so down to see my dads friend at the parts store, to see how much a gallon of the oem red would be...300$ so i found a nice "metallic brown" for 40$, rattle can primed it in the yard, then sprayed it which turned out silver as i sprayed it but then when it dried it was more of a purple but its cool by me, sand blasted the rims, painted them black and flipped my tires so the white lettering is on the inside, and its getting wheeled and wheeled, it really serves as a tow truck for my j**p friends, ahahahahaha. so thats what it is for now, i have a few goodies up my sleeve as i'm taking welding at community college so its bumpers and sliders soon, and maybe a sas and some bells and whistles and some bigger tires!

Last edited by 93_4runnerbenny; 10-12-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM

Bring on the pictures fellow Canadian!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM

figuiring that out now!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM

when i first bought it, old school brush guard and lights, path finder fender flares front and xj's rear held on with dry wall screws a whole lot of rust and mud.

cleaned it out, did some fine tuning changed all the fluids after all the work was done on it, new mvi and on the road!

ready to go for a while!

had to get the old meats and rims freshened up for the new paint job on it!

was tired of getting pulled over to see if the registratiojn and mvi were legit, so all primed and ready to be painted!

fresh paint

re assembled 100%

soon to get a solid axle swap and some other goodies, stay posted i'm gonna need some help!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Talking

Solid axle swap time baby! woooooooooo. bought an 85 the other day for 150$ drug it home, no tranny, motors in the truck, bodys gone, frames toast, going to tear it down over the weekend, part out whats good, keep the axles, and the drive shafts.

i see a solid axle under there!

need to start squirreling parts away and get this show on the road, probably gonna get the axles all built and ready here and there, then throw them in some day.