86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4Runner Turbo to LS1 (L33) Swap Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 4Runner Turbo to LS1 (L33) Swap Buildup

How I got it working. Ish. On top of this I probably spent about $1100 dollars above this cost to find out what did and didn’t work. That just sucks. No one mentioned in the list sponsored me, but are being given recognition anyway since I was able to finish the project. Most prices include shipping if it was needed. A lot of the wasted and incorrectly purchased items will be resold, as was the original drive train.

Engine/Drivetrain:
This is the easy part. Everything looks dirt cheap on the surface. Everything to make the following work will nickel and dime the hell out of you. I also used the drive shaft out of a manual 4Runner, as it was a little longer. I made my own cross member out of tube and motor mounts. I had to install a 3” body lift for everything to fit, and go to a Camaro oil pan.

• 5.3L L33 (all aluminum block with LS6 heads. Higher compression ratio than LM7, closer in similarities to a 5.3l LS1) with accessories, ECM, base harness, pedal, etc craigslist $450
• 4l60e Transmission craigslist $300
• Dana 300 and Clocking ring craigslist $300
• LS1 Intake craigslist $100
• Camaro Oil Pan GMPerformance Parts $150
• 3” Body Lift Amazon $100
• Silicone elbows and such for intake $50
• Block Hugger Headers Amazon $150

Wiring Harness
I got a “Premium” harness from Bill Hillock at BP-Automotive.com.

• Premium Harness, Cruise, AC, ECM Program, etc, $500

Crank Pulley
This added a huge expense to the project. I went with a Corvette crank pulley to move all the accessories closer to the motor and allow more room. This meant every bracket and accessory I had that came with the motor were now useless.

• Corvette Cranky Pulley $65

Water Pump
I went with an LS3 water pump to get the motor as short as possible. It works on the Corvette belt line and is actually shorter than the Corvette pump.

• LS3 Water Pump eBay $100

Accessory Brackets
Had to get brackets to move the accessories back to the Corvette belt line. This is why just starting with a Corvette motor in the long run might be just a tad cheaper.

• Corvette Power Steering and Alternator Bracket from Alper Motorsports $150

Accessories
The accessories I had that came with the motor, of course, didn’t fit. I had to swap them out for some smaller ones. Alper Motorsports was awesome in helping me figure out what I needed. I switched to the S10 water pump, as it was cheaper and had an onboard reservoir. I got a Camaro alternator to clear the steering box.

• S10 Water Pump (4CYL 2.2 94 S10 S15 SONOMA PICKUP) eBay $35
• LS1 Power Steering Pulley eBay $25
• Camaro Alternator eBay $80

Shifter
I got a shifter from a 700r4 Camaro; any shifter from a GM 4 speed will work. This shifter matched the interior nicely and was low profile.

• Camaro Shifter eBay $60

VSS Sensor
I needed a sensor to tell the computer how fast the vehicle was going. Novak has an adapter to send the signal and allow the Dana 300 speedo cable to work, which works with the Toyota cable if filed down.

• Novak Speed Sensor 8PAC $95

Other Stuff
I added some other things that many might not require. I still need to figure out an AC setup and onboard air, but the problem is the open areas I have if used would prevent me from getting a super charger in the future

• Transmission Cooler Amazon $30
• Power Steering Cooler Amazon $25
• Radiator Speedway Motors Return $125

So before I find an electric fan I’m at around 3000 with some extra money included for nuts, bolts, wires, and such. Tack on a bit for failed trials, and about 1k for my loaded 4Runner body. I HAVE to go to a 4 link rear or a traction bar. Can’t wait to see what fuel economy is. Photos will accompany the sections soon, the vehicle is currently getting bedlined. I will be moving some of the information over from my headache and general oh hell I need help thread at https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f163...1-swap-248292/

Last edited by MrArmyAnt; 08-20-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice! Sounds like a cool build! I kinda know what your going through with the pulleys and accessories nickle and dime'in ya to death, I was looking for a short water pump for my 302, but by the time you changed out the harmonic balancer, and all the pulleys to make the setup work, I just couldn't justify the cost to gain an inch of clearance for the radiator. I ended up caving in and cut out some of the core support, lol. Anyway look forward to seeing more of your build and some pics!