84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

SAS'd 86Runnner '85 Xtra cab Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS'd 86Runnner '85 Xtra cab Pickup Build-Up Thread

I bought this truck a month ago to replace my '84 that was totaled about 6 months ago. It is totally stock and has a rebuilt engine. It's not the cleanest truck out there, the bed is pretty much trash, both bumpers are destroyed. But the cab is in decent shape and the interior, sans the seats, is in really good shape for a '85.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it.

And after some new wheels I got from my friend Steve. It looks much better now, I really like these wheels.

I was told it had a small oil leak...turns out it has a massive oil leak. So much that I can't even tell where its coming from because the whole engine bay is covered in oil.

But before I could even start working on that I got a notice from the city that I had to get rid of the '84 that had been sitting in my driveway with no drivetrain since I wrecked it. So I decided to put the flatbed onto the '85. I really like the look of this flatbed on it.

So now that the '84 was gone, it was time to start on that oil leak. I didn't want to mess around buying one gasket at a time and replacing them until It was fixed so I bought a complete gasket set from http://http://www.engnbldr.com/ And then decided just to pull the engine. So yesterday at noon I took the truck over to my dads house to start on the engine pull. I had no intentions on pulling it out yesterday, I was just going to get it all ready, but once I started I couldn't stop and it ended up out of the truck by 5 p.m.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 PM

I'm done for the day. I could do more teardown but I can't find bolts long enough to fit the engine stand so I have to leave it hooked up to the cherry picker until I can get some on Monday. So here's how it looked when I left.

As you can see, everything is covered it oil. I haven't really found the culprit but every gasket also has rtv on it. Why would someone do that?

I'm also in need of some solvent for my dads new parts washer, any suggestions?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 AM

truhttp://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e79/Moto_RAZR/1985%20pickup/DSC05891.jpgck?
looks great. WHo's the pink that thing is sweet?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:51 PM

Thats the truck that I wrecked. Its now in a scrap yard. It was supposed to be m wife's trail truck but it never made it that far. haha
Old 05-17-2011, 04:41 PM

Didn't get as much done as I wanted to but thats ok, I'm in no rush to get this back together.

Here's the pile of parts I started out with

And here's what I ended up with

And here's the block down as bare as it's gonna get

If its raining again tomorrow I'm gonna head back over and try to clean the block up so I can paint it.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats in store for the rig?

That sucks the city told you to get rid of your vehicle, ive never heard of that before i dont think they can do that where i'm at.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM

Right now it's just gonna stay the way it is. Its gonna be my DD when I get it back together. I honestly might try and sell it when its back together but I haven't made up my mind on that yet.

I'm sure that if I keep it, it will get a mild lift with some 33's on it.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 AM

I guess it's time for an update. I've been putting off updating this thread because I've been having trouble getting the truck started after I put it back together.

I had a friend that is a BMW tech that went to UTI come and help me take a look at it. After messing with it for a couple hours we finally got it to start but it wouldn't idle. We got it up to operating temp and ran a compression test on it and I have under 50 p.s.i. in the 1st and 4th cylinder. I guess I put the head on out of turn with the block and bent the valves. I'm gonna take the head back off this afternoon and verify our findings.

I've done the head gasket on my 4runner and my brother in laws 94 pick up and never had a problem with putting the head on out of turn. (I didn't even know it was possible) I guess I got lucky the first couple of times. Learn something new every day! I just had to learn this the hard way.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 PM

This now runs!!! I got another 22RE locally and swapped it in. Now i have some work to do on the flatbed and a the rear bumper