84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

fullwidthyotaon40s 1985 4runner Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fullwidthyotaon40s 1985 4runner Restoration

A little background is in order:
I made the trek to Santa Cruz to pick up this 4runner a few months ago. Got a good deal on it because the PO had never smogged it or registered it the entire time he had it and it had just been sitting for some time (years). After actually being able to test drive it (drove great!) and making it home, I replaced the cat and it passed smog to my surprise! Registration, plates and that fun DMV stuff and it received a lift and some 36" swamper TSL SX's off the old '83. After driving it and going over it, it seemed like a fairly decent project to start a restoration on because after I actually looked it over I noticed it was fully loaded! It had factory tinted sunroof (missing and I'm still looking for one), tinted hard top, rear heater, power antenna, power windows all around, altimiter, SR5 package, nice SR5 seats under the covers I discovered, ... everything one would ever want in a 1985 4runner.

My plans are to restore it to as close to showroom condition as time allows so this part time project doesn't linger for years like they can (will be posting the '83 4x4 SR5 restoration up to date once this one is completed). I am working on uploading the pics to an image hosting site right now and will try to get this thread up to date as it is almost ready for paint and reassembly once I finish tracking down some hard to find parts!

Last edited by fullwidthyotaon40s; 02-02-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Sounds cool.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I was 2nd in line for an 85 SR5 fully loaded. I was a day late. Really wish I could of got that truck and being into retorations myself I am really looking forward to your build.

Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:14 AM

Since I am quite a ways along in the project, I got some time to try and figure this whole free image hosting thing out for the pics I have waiting!

Last edited by fullwidthyotaon40s; 02-05-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 AM

Success! I hope everyone can see these. I started with the engine. Although running very strong with good even compression and all maintenance up to date, I decided to have at it to make everything on the truck match. The engine has a new head, rocker assembly, painted oil pan and valve cover, timing set, new timing cover, water pump, oil pump... you get the idea. Along with that came a new air filter, oil filter/change, spark plug wires, plugs, dist cap/rotor (All Toyota OEM parts from my local dealer or cheaper wherever I could find them). Runs like a top! Next will be removing the intake again and painting it along with an entire silicone vacuum hose kit just to make sure there are no leaks in this large system after the paint goes on. DA sander took the crispy decals off nicely and it looks like it had been painted previously so rust wasn't a very big deal. Pans (NICE) and wheel wells had minor rust and only required some welding. Because of a few big dents on some important lines in the tailgate and pass fender, I decided to replace them with OEM parts I somehow found at a somewhat local scrap yard (couple hours). After the dents were completely removed from the tailgate (so I can either keep it as a spare or sell it to cover some costs) I primered it and set it aside. The one I found was in remarkably good shape