Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:08 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
i just noticed those rotated too.

very creative and Magyver-ish.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the massive pics, i just copied and posted the link, they are not mine.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Contributing Member

I fixed the pics.

92Toy,

Thanks for the tips and pics.

I definitely want to do something like what you guys posted up - that is awesome.
I'm an audiophile at heart so I dig the speaker setup.

Picking up the Runner on Monday from the frame shop, I'll scan the before and after printouts and include them in here for referencing later.

Fink
Old 08-19-2009, 04:24 PM

hey FINK......

just had a problem today with using undercoating.........was doing some bodywork on my brother-in-law's car and the undercoating came out like crap......total crap.......looked at it for about an hour and the scraped it off........it was the same duplicolor brand but i usually use the "professional" stuff...there are 2 types that i know off and this cheaper stuff he bought came out brown and almost foamy.....thought maybe i didn't shake it enough, so i commenced to shaking the hell out of it and it did the same thing......never had a problem with doing this before but i'm thinking that since this is the cheaper stuff, maybe that maes all the difference.......big mess.

so my recommendation would be to buy the Duplicolor Professional stuff (about $7) since i had nothing but success with it versus this cheaper stuff.

i figured i'd send this your way since i am so much into doing this kind of undercoating then enamel stuff but wanted you to know of my problem. i will be buying the better stuff tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
hey FINK......

just had a problem today with using undercoating.........was doing some bodywork on my brother-in-law's car and the undercoating came out like crap......total crap.......looked at it for about an hour and the scraped it off........it was the same duplicolor brand but i usually use the "professional" stuff...there are 2 types that i know off and this cheaper stuff he bought came out brown and almost foamy.....thought maybe i didn't shake it enough, so i commenced to shaking the hell out of it and it did the same thing......never had a problem with doing this before but i'm thinking that since this is the cheaper stuff, maybe that maes all the difference.......big mess.

so my recommendation would be to buy the Duplicolor Professional stuff (about $7) since i had nothing but success with it versus this cheaper stuff.

i figured i'd send this your way since i am so much into doing this kind of undercoating then enamel stuff but wanted you to know of my problem. i will be buying the better stuff tomorrow.
Hey man I appreciate it.
Still debating on what I want to do with the interior - been looking at aftermarket floor covering, probably vinyl.

Fink
Old 08-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I used the Duplocolor from Advanced Auto it was about $70.00 for the roll on kit and so far it's looking good. Did this to the runner in June I think. It was just truck bed coating.

92 Maybe its a bad can???
Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM

yeah i think that plus like a thousand percent humidity today nothing was gonna go on right.

i redid a garden wagon (yeah, i got problems) these past few days and used duplicolor spray on bedliner and had no problems either.

actually the garden wagon is what we use fr pulling our stuff from the hotel to the beach and the cart gets used hard around the yard so it looked terrible......now it looks pimped.........i'll see if i could post a pic tomorrow...you guys will crack up.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM

oh yeah.......cuz we're goin to the beach in 4 days...............WOOHOO!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:41 PM

Sweet good deal!!! I wanna see how that covers. I have some left maybe I'll roll it on the yard cart I have for the tractor.

What beach you heading to?

Dolt Hijack....
They'll be no more of this.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 PM

ocean city maryland.........maybe i'll find where OLHARLEYMAN is and check his progress.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 PM

Be sure to visit Shenanigan’s while your there...Loved that place.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Hey man I appreciate it.
Still debating on what I want to do with the interior - been looking at aftermarket floor covering, probably vinyl.

Fink
Back on subject...This is what I used and it came out quite well. I'm really happy with it.

I'm going to have to do a build up on this real soon. But here is how she looks now.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
So Fink:
How does it drive after picking it from the frame shop?
~Robb
Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 PM

did you put carpet back down?

i guess it's all the same....trying to waterproof or bulletproof or whatever.....i started using it 1st to cover-up body work i had done.....and i was very happy with the results.......durability??? i will find out about as time goes by.

shenanigans.....i'll tell them you sent me.....see what that gets me.....LOL
Old 08-19-2009, 06:06 PM

Na left the carpet out it was shot...

One of tow things may happen, you may get a beer or you may be tossed out. Depends on the bar tender!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Back on subject...This is what I used and it came out quite well. I'm really happy with it.

I'm going to have to do a build up on this real soon. But here is how she looks now.

Looks awesome! I will definitely think about doing that, I really need to hose out the rear cargo area - it's got mud/dirt all over it after the fenders were trimmed.
I'm so stoked about getting the fenders tubbed - not only will it look awesome but I'll actually be able to have a clean interior and keep it that way.

Thanks for the pic.

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
So Fink:
How does it drive after picking it from the frame shop?
~Robb
Honestly, not a whole lot different.
The 24 year old suspension is more noticeable now though, when I stop it kind of teeters on the two leafs that are still in tact (front left and rear right).
I can't wait to get it all torn off, cleaned up and replaced.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
did you put carpet back down?

i guess it's all the same....trying to waterproof or bulletproof or whatever.....i started using it 1st to cover-up body work i had done.....and i was very happy with the results.......durability??? i will find out about as time goes by.

shenanigans.....i'll tell them you sent me.....see what that gets me.....LOL
You sir, are the king of hijacking threads.

Fink
Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 PM

TANX.

but seriously.......i saw a show once on the discovery channel and they were showing how using rhino liner could "bomb proof" a vehicle and a building........of course besides the waterproofing aspect of these coatings there is the ease of cleaning, sound deadening and so forth.....so i guess you can't really go wrong.

KING??? REALLY????

just want ya to have all the info i have, and if i can get a free beer courtesy of LUMPY then so be it. LOL!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Here's my next dilemma...

2,250lb Uhaul car hauler
3,500lb 4Runner
Total of 5,750lbs

Being hauled wiith a 1998 K1500 Silverado 4x4 5.7L Ext Cab Long Bed.
Manual says that with the small axle ratio (I want to say around 3.4 something) the max is 5,500lbs...!
With the larger axle ratio of 3.73 the max two rating is 6,500lbs.

How is that right?

My little Tacoma is rated at 6,500lbs...

The GVWR for the Chevy is 6,200lbs.

I'll load the Runner so it's just a little bit forward of the trailer axle's so ~80% of the weight will be on the trailer but I'm still a little concerned about it.
The trailer has automatic surge brakes so that will be a huge help.

'Course if you look at this site it looks like I'll be fine...who knows?

You guys think it will be alright for the 9hr or so trip to Bama?

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 08-21-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I towed my 85 4Runner with my Dad's Silverado all the time...back and forth to Tellico, River Rock, Gray Rock, etc. Just drive defensively and don't get out of control with the speed limit. Check the tires and your truck and make sure to check the tires/inflation on the U-haul as they are notorious for being slackasses with their stuff.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I towed my 85 4Runner with my Dad's Silverado all the time...back and forth to Tellico, River Rock, Gray Rock, etc. Just drive defensively and don't get out of control with the speed limit. Check the tires and your truck and make sure to check the tires/inflation on the U-haul as they are notorious for being slackasses with their stuff.

Yeah, I've had some good and bad experiences with Uhaul - we'll see how this one goes.

His truck only has 78k on it and it's a '98 - it's in great shape.

Wabbit, did you get my email about the shock hardware?

Fink

Quick Reply: Fink's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread "Ratchet"