CSR's 1985 4runner Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 AM
CSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CSR's 1985 4runner Build-up

I traded this '81 Toyota truck....
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f197...thread-227354/

For this '85 4runner Limited Edition. ~175K 22RE, 5-speed. New head, timing set, waterpump.

This is going to start out as more of a restoration instead of a build-up. The rig already has a 3" lift (I think it's Rancho) springs front/blocks rear. 32" BFG's, Kayline top.... everything else is original.

Immediate plans:
-rear leaf springs... lose the blocks
-find a hardtop
-repair the rusty spots and paint it solid white
-redo the exhaust

Later plans:
-4.88's or 5.29's, depending on the tire size I go with
-Spartan lockers F/R
-Crossover steering
-dual cases

Last edited by CSR; 04-03-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks like it will be a sweet project , I can't wait for some sun to work on mine.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 AM
CSR

Originally Posted by se7enine
Looks like it will be a sweet project , I can't wait for some sun to work on mine.
Thanks. I'm excited about the new project! I've wanted a solid axle 4runner since I got into crawling/trail riding back in the 1990's.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:06 AM

Nice runner Not sure why you don't like the awesome paint job (joke)? can't wait to see what you do with it.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Sick paint job! Looks like it will be a kool project
Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 AM
CSR

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Sick paint job! Looks like it will be a kool project
More like sickening paint job! Plan to work on that once the weather gets better.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey man, i like that paintjob. very retro. can you tell me a little bit about the limited edition? ive got a granville edition and didnt know if they were similar.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 PM
CSR

My 4runner was built in August '84, shipped to the USA, then went to Red-E-Kamp in Mira Loma California for the paint and brown shag carpet conversion (completed October '84). I've only seen one other '85 with the same paint. Assuming it was a big SoCal Toyota dealership that sent a few plain-jane white 4runners out to get "pimped". Mine has the tach cluster, tilt wheel, a/c.... some of the SR5 stuff, but not a SR5.

I found one of the previous owners on the TTORA message board, thru a google image search. I searched "white 85 4runner" to my wife what it could look like. Six pages down, I saw a picture of my 4runner! Contacted him, and got several years history on my new rig! It went from southern Cali to southern Texas, then to Tyler Texas. I traded for it. Now it's in Northwest TN.

The salty ocean air started to get to it. The frame is spotless. Has a few cancerous spots on the body. Gonna try my luck with rust repair..... cut/weld/generous application of POR-15...
Old 02-26-2011, 05:43 AM

cool man! mine was built nov of 84. it has red crush velvet interior, and came fully loaded, no tach or tilt though but has ac and cruise. built in cb and deluxe pioneer tape deck. as far as i know my truck was sold as a tow behind for toyota rv's. it has granville badges (reads GranVille Elkheart Ind.) ive tried doing research on it but can really find anything out. ive seen "elk vans" out of elkheart ind. conversion vans that were customized. i bought it from some crazy old guy for 1600. 0 rust!!! i really dig your paint job. keep us updated with you progress
Old 02-26-2011, 07:41 AM

That's awesome that you got all that history on your 4runner! All I got with my mine was a greasy stack of receipts for previous work.
So this "shag" carpet idea intrigues me, any chance you guys have any pictures? Man, you got to love the 80's!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:45 AM

yeah i can go take some later. cleaning my truck out is on my list of things to do today...
Old 02-26-2011, 05:31 PM
CSR

The carpet in my 4runner is a brown deep cut pile, like you would have seen in someones house in the mid 80's. A large chunk of it has gone away since I picked the truck up last week. The rest will dissappear as soon as we get a warm, sunny day. My interior is getting the roll-on bedliner treatment.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 PM

I've been thinking or herculine'n the back of my 4runner, it looks like the best bang for the buck as far as bed-liners go... Keep us up to date, and I still want to see this stock shag carpet thing...
Old 02-28-2011, 04:18 PM
CSR

Only picture I have of the carpet is while it was being yanked out today.

Surprised to not find any rust underneath.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
looks like plain old house carpet? is it molded?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:12 PM
CSR

Originally Posted by Outsane
looks like plain old house carpet? is it molded?
It wasn't molded. Dirty, with lots of pet hair trapped in it. The dark spots in the rear passenger floorboard is dirty water from last nights thunderstorms. The old Kayline top isn't very resistant to the elements. Now to find something to remove the glue that was spead on to keep the house carpet in place....
Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Re your old Kayline top. I got one new from J.C.Whitney in 1989 and had it on 'til 1995. The only reason I took it off was I was moving and needed to move the hardtop. It never leaked. I'm thinking maybe some of your sewn seams need weatherproofer meant for tents. Get it in a roll-on from the camping section of Walmart or an outdoor store. You put it on the seams from the underside when the top is dry. If you need new windows or repairs check with a boat canvas maker. If you have lots of $$ and are going to replace it I'll buy it from you!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:29 AM
CSR

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Re your old Kayline top. I got one new from J.C.Whitney in 1989 and had it on 'til 1995. The only reason I took it off was I was moving and needed to move the hardtop. It never leaked. I'm thinking maybe some of your sewn seams need weatherproofer meant for tents. Get it in a roll-on from the camping section of Walmart or an outdoor store. You put it on the seams from the underside when the top is dry. If you need new windows or repairs check with a boat canvas maker. If you have lots of $$ and are going to replace it I'll buy it from you!
Thanks for the tips!

I think most of the water is coming in around the tailgate. All of the snaps across the tailgate are broken. Found a Bestop snap repair set for $17. Hopefully the scratched windows can be polished out.

I don't have lots of money! I've put my hardtop search on hold for a while.... winter utility bills have left us with too much month at the end of the money.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
$17.00 seems reasonable to repair the snaps. You can polish out the windows with a metal polish such as Flitz. There are some videos on YouTube showing how. I don't know where you live but the back tailgate window on the Kayline gets really hard to open and close when it's cold. I see the hardtops on Craigslist pretty often for $100 or so. It's strange because there sure aren't many 1st gens around here anymore. Spring is coming so maybe the $$$ situation will get better!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 PM
CSR

The Kayline came off today for a while. Then I put it back on. Went to pick my kids up from school. My daughter wanted the top off.. so it came off again. Halfway home, I got worried about her recently getting over an ear infection. Pulled over and put the top back on. Takes 2-3 minutes to pull off or put back on. I like that! Definitely keeping the Kayline! I'll be fixing the snaps and shining the windows.

Edit: The nerf bars went away right after I took that picture. Anybody near Paris, TN with a SWB 84-85 truck or 4runner want 'em? Come get 'em!

Last edited by CSR; 03-01-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: CSR's 1985 4runner Build-up