84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

crawler kid's 85' 4x4 pickup build thread (mini resto and trail rig)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking crawler kid's 85' 4x4 pickup build thread (mini resto and trail rig)

This is my first post ever on this site, i'm a long time user of the search button here though So anyway onto my truck.
It's a 1985 standard cab short bed with a carbed 22r with a whole lotta miles on it (with many more to go ). I'm from new england so naturally the frame had some cancer. I am a student at a vocational school so I was lucky enough to have the welding teachers fix up my frame (its rock solid now ). Now for a lack of better words my truck ran like complete crap so it was time for me to start wrenchin on it (I'm an auto student). The truck just wouldn't idle, it was skipping real bad and was only running on 3 cylinders (not a recipe for success at all lol). The first thing I did was a compression test and after doing that I found out my #3 cylinder had low compression . My shop teacher said I had a burnt valve. My other shop teacher said I might have just had a lot of carbon build up on the valves. He suggested pouring atf fluid into the carb to loosen up the carbon in the valves (crazy idea right). Suprisingly it worked great and all my cylinders were 175 pounds of compression. Now that the compression was good the skipping needed to be fixed. I don't how I didn't notice that none of the spark plugs were gapped correctly (one wasn't gapped at all ). That fixed the skipping problem. Last but not least, the carb was junk. Now, instead of rebuilding the carb I bought a very nice used one for 50 dollars ina parts lot (I got lots of great stuff through that deal ). Now all thats left is minor stuff like a tuneup and washing the engine (its all about the little things ). Now onto the body . The cab itself is in very good shape for a new england cab. The floors have no rust at all and all it needed was fenders ($40 for a repro and the other was free ). When I got the truck it lacked a bed (good luck finding a clean or at least repairable bed for a 2nd gen pickup in new england). I feel like I struck gold finding a clean (when I say clean I mean no holes, half of it is made of bondo ) bed for my truck. Well enough of my stupid post , on to the pics

When I first got the truck

After I fitted the 34" super swamper tsl's

And my most curent picture
Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck looks great man,can't wait to see more on it.