84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

85 4runner for the VT woods

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 4runner for the VT woods

Hi, new member on here. I've been eyeing 1st gen 4runners since I started going wheeling with a few locals here in VT and seeing just how capable they are. I love the removable top idea, and the simplicity. I just recently bought this 85 4runner site unseen. It has spent most of its life in California, and it is very clean rust wise. I think it has spent a good amount of time as a DD or mall crawler since it has no real protection to speak of, and very little body damage. I took it out and did a little testing on the ridge behind my house and it actually wheels really well. Has a lot more flex than I was expecting.
I haven't had much chance to play with it because I am knee deep in building my shop and trying to get that done before the snow flies.

As purchased the runner has
-Marlin dual cases with marlin 4.7s in the rear case
-Detroit locker in the rear, lunchbox in the front
-Waggy springs in the front, stockers in the rear with longer shackles and some blocks
- 35" BFG mud terrains
-marlin sliders (why sliders but no bumpers, i have no idea
-some random winch mount plate
-5.29 gears
-stock noisy 22re (seems to have plenty of power)
-no bumpers or protection of any kind

This winter (after the shop is up and running) I plan on getting some basic protection on it. Id like to build some bumpers, and add a decent cross member. Also a winch should be in order as well. I'll also have to look over the front end and maybe do some work to trunnion bearings and such. It feels a bit loose. I'd like to keep this rig as streetable as possible so i can drive to and from trails and just use it as a summer bomber toy. I was thinking I might do something different for rear springs, but it does seem to work OK as it is. I might leave the current setup for next year and see how it does.

Anyways, here are a couple pics.

here is my old straight axle 3/4 ton cheby plow truck/firewood retriever

and my 99 powerstroke with a 6 speed manual

and my 500hp audi that I build a few years ago. It uses the oringal 2.3 liter 5 cylinder engine with my homemade manifolds and a turbo from a 5.9 cummins. It is retarded fast, and easily lights up all 4 tires on the pavement. Its a super fun toy, but just i just dont use it very often. i will probably sell and use the money to make the 4runner a bit more capable.

and here is my shop as it currently sits. This weekend i hope to finish up running the power from my house (about 200 feet away) and start on the siding. It is 24'x32' with a 10'x32' open lean to on the side. It has a 14'x8' main door and 10' ceilings. It will be heated by wood, has 220v 60amp power (which should be enough to run my miller 211 and a 220 compressor) I am trying to make it appear a bit like a rustic barn since i live in a log house and have a very rustic barn already on the property. It sort of fits with the vermont mountain theme of my property.

Last edited by VTPSD; 07-08-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:33 PM

1. That is an absolutely sick audi.
2. I've definitely thought about putting that 5cyl 20v turbo engine in a yota truck, good or bad idea?
3. Where is that shop with the porche in it? I'm also in VT.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:33 PM

4. I'm VERY jealous of that runner you found
Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 AM

hey man,thanks the audi is pretty wicked. I actually just sent it to a guy in california. He thinks its a total monster! It is hard to let go of a car with that much work into it, but i just didnt use it anymore.
As far as puting a 5 cylinder in a toyota truck, it could be done im sure. The biggest advantage of a 5 cylinder (besides how good it sounds) is the fact that you can make stupid horsepower on stock internals, and with a few upgrades (pistons and rods) they can go well north of 1000hp. But to go through all the work to put on in a toyota truck....not sure, unless you want big power and a unique machine. I would say it would be hard to beat the reliability of a stock yota engine.

That shop with the porsche is Rennline up in Milton. They make a bunch of custom porsche parts and a bunch of other custom ˟˟˟˟. That porsche is the owners track car. Its never been driven on the street since new.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 PM

nice looking yota, cant wait to see what you do to it after hearing what you did to the audi.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by VTPSD
hey man,thanks the audi is pretty wicked. I actually just sent it to a guy in california. He thinks its a total monster! It is hard to let go of a car with that much work into it, but i just didnt use it anymore.
As far as puting a 5 cylinder in a toyota truck, it could be done im sure. The biggest advantage of a 5 cylinder (besides how good it sounds) is the fact that you can make stupid horsepower on stock internals, and with a few upgrades (pistons and rods) they can go well north of 1000hp. But to go through all the work to put on in a toyota truck....not sure, unless you want big power and a unique machine. I would say it would be hard to beat the reliability of a stock yota engine.

That shop with the porsche is Rennline up in Milton. They make a bunch of custom porsche parts and a bunch of other custom ˟˟˟˟. That porsche is the owners track car. Its never been driven on the street since new.

yeah, you're probably right. I just LOVE the way they sound. I think the 5 cylinder engines are wicked because you get the extra power of a 4 cyl turbo without the lag...and I have a soft spot for the old quattro audis. I guess a 5cyl merc diesel would be a better, more well-documented swap. how odd would it be to hear an old yota pickup spool up a bigass turbo though?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by cheez
how odd would it be to hear an old yota pickup spool up a bigass turbo though?
i think it would be hilarious, but probably not very useful. I cant image the motor from my audi slapped into a yota. It hits like a sledge hammer. It goes from about 150hp at 2800rpm to 450hp at 3200....probably would make an old yota 3-wheel and fly off the road or trail when the turbo spools.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by thenewman
nice looking yota, cant wait to see what you do to it after hearing what you did to the audi.
thank man. the 4runner probably wont be as extreme, i built the audi before i owned a house or had any real expenses besides rent....life has changed some in the last 5 years
Once I get my shop done, i hope to get some decent bumpers on it, a winch, and just go through it and refresh basic mechanical stuff it needs and then take it out and play. Currently it acts like it starves for fuel, especially in the cold. Could also be an ignition problem. It cuts out badly after it warms up on a cold day above 1/2 throttle. Got to look into that before I do anything.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Lookin good Dana!

THe cutting out sounds like it could be a coolant temp sensor going bad?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Lookin good Dana!

THe cutting out sounds like it could be a coolant temp sensor going bad?
yea that does seems like it could be it, i should let it warm up and ohm it out.
When wheeling it you dont even notice any issue, its really just the long steep climb in 3rd and 2nd gear up my road to get home (basically wide open throttle for a minute or so). I am quite sure its starving for fuel, but i couldn't find a vac leak anywhere. Is the coolant temp sensor often a prob on these? If it goes way out of spec i could see it making her run way too lean.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM

i just noticed i have to update shop pics, its almost done now, has heat, compressed air run in the walls, all electrical done, compressor mounted under lean-to...ceiling etc.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 AM

little preview of what the outside looks like now.

horses enjoying a little wood stove heat and a break from the -20F weather we had a couple weeks ago.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 AM

That's not a horse! it's a dog.
The shop looks great, I'm very jealous. I wish I had a place like this, just took my truck for its first inspection and it looks like I'm going to be replacing the rear suspension and do a lil' frame patching before I get a sticker.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 AM

tax season=some money for 4runner

just placed a nice TG order. Wanted to make bumpers, but i just dont have the time, and the price is good enough for me to just buy them.

Products on order:
1 x Dual Transfer Case Crossmembers - $249.00
SKU: 120005-1-KIT
Dual Transfer Case Crossmembers: T-Case Crossmember, 4cyl, 1984-1995, 120005-1-KIT

1 x Rock Defense™ Toyota Front Bumpers - $399.00
SKU: 120059-1-KIT
Rock Defense™ Toyota Front Bumpers: Model #1, 120059-1-KIT

1 x Optional Rear Bumper to Frame Support Kit for 84-89 4Runner - $39.00
SKU: 120112-1-KIT

1 x Upper Axle Gusset - $25.00
SKU: 111305-1-KIT

2 x Weld-On Differential Armor - Large - $66.00 ($33.00 each)
SKU: 120006-1-KIT

1 x Rock Defense™ Toyota Rear Bumpers - $299.00
SKU: 120109-1-KIT
Rock Defense™ Toyota Rear Bumpers: Rear Bumper Model #2, 120109-1-KIT

Just need a winch, and extend the TG single case driveshaft that I have and I am ready to wheel! Got a bachelor party in april for a friend, gotta be ready for wheeling by then!

Last edited by VTPSD; 02-04-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Man thats a nice chunk or parts on the way!

Make sure you brace the front of your frame before doing any heavy winching with that bumper.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Man thats a nice chunk or parts on the way!

Make sure you brace the front of your frame before doing any heavy winching with that bumper.
got some more details on that? Will probably be obvious where it needs bracing once I see how that bumper mounts up.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 AM

i also ordered a magnaflow 2.25" muffler and some piping. The exhaust that is one there is stock and full of holes. Rattles and sounds horrible and leaks into the cabin bad. Hoping to be able to tuck it up nice and run it all the way to the back. Might just end up dumping it after the muffler, but I am afraid that might make it stink inside with the rear window down.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 AM

Front range off road makes a frame brace for the front and the back side of the crossmember can be fitted with some 1/4 plate. Imho this is some thing you need to do if your planing adding a winch.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dave the welder
Front range off road makes a frame brace for the front and the back side of the crossmember can be fitted with some 1/4 plate. Imho this is some thing you need to do if your planing adding a winch.
the truck already has a winch plate (pretty ugly) and it might actually have some bracing already behind it. Once I deconstruct it I'll see what I am working with. Planning on adding bracing as needed. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM

Ya i saw that i would start over unless you are sure its strong i can't tell from a pic.
you need this
http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...products_id=63

Quick Reply: 85 4runner for the VT woods