Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

PWRstroke_smoke 1982 4x4 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PWRstroke_smoke 1982 4x4 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Hello everyone, new to toyota's and the forum, but have always been in love with the old body style and solid axle yotas. I have been on the search for a long time up her in Northern california for the right rig to restore, and I finally found one! I am mainly into diesels but wanted a small run around Toyota truck.

1982 4x4 pickup 5 speed 22r (strong runner no blowby no leaks) 140k original miles, converted to power steering, everything is stock.
What surprises me the most is that the AC is ice cold!
new plugs, new wires, new carburetor.
The body is incredible straight no dents and ZERO rust!
Does have a lift prev. owner said chevy springs but it rides very smooth?! maybe someone knows about the lift
interior is complete, only tears in door panels, radio is not stock and a few cracks in the top of the dash.
there are no leaks underneath and seems like it is going to be a great restore candidate.

FENDER WELL

A lot of trucks i looked at were pretty badly rusted in the area directly below the gap between the bed and cab, where the front of the back spring attaches to the frame. This one is perfect on both sides

engine and interior pics tomorrow, it was too dark to take pics tonight.

Last edited by PWRstroke_smoke; 08-24-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Congrats on your new Toy, your search really paid off. Looks like a great base for a restore or upgrade mods. I wish my 81 had A/C in it down here in Texas.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x2 6 wish my 82 had a/c down here in flordia, how much did you pay for her? very clean truck indeed!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:09 PM

I paid 2000 for her. I think is was a good deal we have such a high resale on these up here in northern california because everyone turns them into crawlers. It took me a while to get it from the previous owner, Lol. The day he sold it to me he was driving it around and almost decided to keep it.

engine and interior: Mainly what i need right now are new door panels(probably just make them) and maybe a better tailgate, its missing the top lip i think? The bench seat and carpet are not worn or torn just dusty and dirty. Nothing a little elbow grease cant make look new again. Also would like to get a stock steering wheel back in, not too fond of the aftermarket grant.

Sorted out some phasing issues with the rear driveline today, no more vibrations! Rear drive line looks to be custom or new its pretty good quality whatever it is, it has spicer ujoints.
Previous owner had the front driveshaft bolted up wrong and could only get two bolts through the flange lol. So I unbolted it all and lined it up correctly so all four bolts would go through. i have to get some of the OEM grade 11 toyota driveline bolts for the front though the previous owner had some standard all thread grade 2 stuff holding the front drivelines to the flanges At least I know it wasnt wheeled much!
Going to rebuild the front axle hubs and joints next weekend

The front driveline is a double cardan style. Was that stock on these??

Last edited by PWRstroke_smoke; 08-25-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:15 PM

Picked up a new tailgate today for only 40 bucks, no rust no dents and it has the top lip!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 PM

Wink

[quote=PWRstroke_smoke;51964869]Picked up a new tailgate today for only 40 bucks, no rust no dents and it has the top lip!

PWRstroke: "Honey, I'm going out to get gas." Honey: "Please get a tailgate for the Toyota while your out." PWRstroke: "Jeeze, which corner store do I go to get it?" "Oh wait someone's knocking at the door."
You west coast guys so lucky, the stuff falls off the trees out there. Mipitas, San Jose?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Smoking deal on the tailgate
and yes double cardan front drive shaft is stock..
Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 PM

[quote=Thelast83inNJ;51965734]
Originally Posted by PWRstroke_smoke
Picked up a new tailgate today for only 40 bucks, no rust no dents and it has the top lip!

PWRstroke: "Honey, I'm going out to get gas." Honey: "Please get a tailgate for the Toyota while your out." PWRstroke: "Jeeze, which corner store do I go to get it?" "Oh wait someone's knocking at the door."
You west coast guys so lucky, the stuff falls off the trees out there. Mipitas, San Jose?
Yep lol we have yota parts up the a$$ everywhere, constant bargaining and trading too and lots of top notch shops. Chico/Paradise area

I had school most of the day today, but ran by o'reily and got some new pedal covers, and stopped by a driveline shop to get some good used drive line bolts for the front shaft
Got the front shaft all bolted up and tight.
Drove it around all day with the ac going lol and it runs nicely. I had a horrible clanking rattle from the back it was the hinges on the tailgate rattling. One of the rubber bumpers that sandwiches the shackle hinge into the other rubber bumper on the bed was missing on the new tailgate. So i pulled the rubber bumpers off the old tailgate and no more rattles while cruising.
Now other than the clunking front shocks that are incredibly worn out and over extended with the lift, its a really rattle free truck!

Where is the best place to get bilsteins that bolt into stock locations? looks like i have a three inch spring lift. I have bilsteins on my f350 and love them!

$9 bucks for the pedals, $12 for the 8mm shaft bolts

Last edited by PWRstroke_smoke; 08-28-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM

its funny how me and yours trucks are exactly the same, mine was the same color as youre orginally then painted the same flat black... shortbed also..... still have your old tailgate? id pay for shipping if you like to get rid of it... cant find one down here
Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 PM

and 2000 for that was a steal in the shape!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You got a nice truck there. That was an awesome steal on that tailgate I need one myself. Keep wrenching on it!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 PM

Picked up front and rear marker light covers, and a steering column housing in trade today.

The aluminum cover that sits over the exhaust was rattling pretty loud on the way to school this morning. The two bottom nuts were missing, got some new ones, and no more rattle.

Also fixed another clanging noise from right under the cab. It turned out to be a bracket on the exhaust thats clamped to the exhaust downpipe.

Putting an order in this weekend on marlin crawler for the front axle service kit, shift lever ball seat, shift lever socket, and MAYBE 4 new Bilsteins, MAYBE!

Couple questions for anyone:
Type of fluid and capacities for: front end, rear end, 4 speed manual, tranfer case, and engine. Still need to go get a chiltons manual!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
and 2000 for that was a steal in the shape!
Originally Posted by 83Toyota88
You got a nice truck there. That was an awesome steal on that tailgate I need one myself. Keep wrenching on it!
Thanks gents, i really love this little truck!
I usually buy rigs to fix up and then re-sell, to fund my f350 powerstroke build, but i am gonna keep this yota for sure.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:09 PM

If you keep it....it will serve you well for a long time to come. Just keep an eye on the cancer
Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 PM

So I got most of the old tar tub coating chiseled off today and what a pain in the ass!!!!
went and picked up some por 15
Im gonna chisel the last off tomorrow and do a final wipe down with automotive lacquer thinner, rough up the smooth areas, then good vacum with the shop vac, wipe down again, and then lay the por 15.

Overall there was no rust just one surface spot under the gas pedal, i suspect it was the leaky windsield, not sure how long it has been leaking but Im glad i caught it in time!
Gonna have our local mobile window guy come and do the windshield sometime next week.
Mom stopped by to visit today and I talked her into sewing a new shift boot too, i gave her the old tattered original as a pattern!!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:45 PM

So i finished up the floor and its all ready for the por 15 to go on sometime this week, then im going to top coat it with bedliner, I have used rustoleum rattle can alot and it works very well if the surface is prepped correctly. Too dark for pics tonight.

Fixed the drivers side door lock tonight it was a bad pin so i just removed it from the lock barrel.

Also scored an original set of 15x7 1983 toyota steel wheels from craigslist today. A lady in her 70's had them listed for $25!!
No rust just dirty no bends and no curb rash!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PWRstroke_smoke
Also scored an original set of 15x7 1983 toyota steel wheels from craigslist today. A lady in her 70's had them listed for $25!!
No rust just dirty no bends and no curb rash!
That is funny, yesterday I sold the original wheels off my 83 for $75 and mine were rusty
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 AM

Finished the last coat of por 15 last night and it turned out great!
It was a long job prepping the floor took me almost three days, to chisel the tar off, and clean the surface. I had one spot about the size of a nickel that bubbled, it must have been a spot i missed when wiping down, im guessing oil contaminant.
Other than that it stuck perfectly and dried rock hard!

Last edited by PWRstroke_smoke; 09-05-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Looks great. I'm going to with the same process, but with a sound damper and insulation from Lizard Skin. Plan is not going with carpet or headliner and spray the interior of cab, since plan on doing some custom stuff overhead and back corners

Keep up the good work
Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 PM

So i couldnt save the carpeting it was just too rotten. But the seat was in perfect condition just dirty. It had been sitting in a garage for years because the previous owner had some really uncomfortable aftermarket seat, so when he sold it he gave me the original bench!

I got out of class today and took the bench to the car wash, and sprayed it with high pressure soapy water, then pressed all the water out of the foam, it was really BROWN!!
Then I sprayed it one more time with high pressure soapy water, then pressed all the water out of the foam still a little brown.
Did a high pressure regular water rinse, pressed water out of foam, water was getting cleaner!!
Another high pressure regular water rinse, pressed water out of foam, water was clear!
Did a final rinse and water press with the high pressure water/Wax and the seat looked brand new!

I have it sitting up on a 2x6 in the bed of my truck drying in the sun right now.

Last edited by PWRstroke_smoke; 09-06-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: PWRstroke_smoke 1982 4x4 Pickup Build-Up Thread