Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

**SOLD**JDM 3rd Gen Field Monitor Altimeter Compass Barometer

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**SOLD**JDM 3rd Gen Field Monitor Altimeter Compass Barometer

**SOLD**

If my records are correct, the last time I was able to make one of these available was 1 year and 9 months ago..these are quite difficult to come by with the outside temp sensor included. It is in perfect working condition. The housing on this particular unit is light gray in color. This particular unit was removed from a Surf with a sunroof so the contours of the housing are made to fit that type of head liner.

The outside temperature sensor along with the mirror mount (I'm not sure if the mirror mount is special for this item so it is being included):

The mounting nut and spring nut for the monitor unit are also included:

Here is a rough pic of where the outside temp sensor is located on the JDM Surf (bottom center above my finger...behind the bumper under the left headlight):

There are a total of 7 wires coming from the field monitor unit which are used to connect the electrical aspects of the monitor. Two wires (the blue wire and the yellow/black wire) need to be extended to the outside temperature sensor which should be mounted behind the front bumper (not in a place where wind can hit it directly). The sensor sends a signal to the monitor for the temperature reading. The temperature read-out is in Celsiuis.

The remaining 5 wires for the field unit are connected as follows:
white/black--ground
green--ground for dimming backlight--when this wire is NOT grounded, the backlight on the unit is dim...when it IS grounded the backlight is brighter. This should be spliced into a wire that only receives a ground when the dash lights are turned off.
blue/yellow--constant 12V+
white/red--IGN ON 12V+
green/orange--Speed Sensor (example: DIFF LOCK ECU, pin 10, green/orange)
The extra 2 wires are 'unknowns' (they are not needed to operate the monitor as far as I can see...I'm not sure what they're for).

This next pic shows this unit powered up. The compass readings on the top right move with the direction of the vehicle. The green bars on either side of the vehicle symbol move when the vehicle is in motion. The movement of those green bars speed up with the speed of the vehicle. For this reason, the green/orange wire is ran to the vehicle speed sensor. Without that wire connected, neither the compass nor the green bars would work. When the 'mode' button is pushed, the barometer readings become altimeter readings which can be either 'real-time' or a sort of altitude 'trip meter'. You set the meter to zero at a specific point and it will tell you your altitude relative to that initial setting point (plus or minus).

To install this unit into a Surf/4Runner without a sunroof would require modifications to be made to the contour of the housing but even then I cannot say whether or not it would fit exactly flush with the roof liner. It would also require finding a way to use the mounting screw and clip.

The dimensions of the housing are 245mm from front to back and 214mm from left to right.

There is some very useful information concerning installation procedures and other details about this unit being installed into a USDM 4Runner which can be found here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...3rd-gen-83908/

and here, also:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...up-pics-94277/

Just so there is no confusion, this is the type of vehicle this unit was removed from:

I and this item are in Japan. The cost is $176 shipped to anywhere in the U.S, $189 shipped to Canada, New Zealand or Australia and $195 shipped to locations Europe.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here in the thread, contact me at jdmisme@newageenglish.com, or send me a PM.

Last edited by theREALjdmSURF; 12-15-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 AM

Do you think you could do $150 shipped to a 27513 business zip? Wish it was oak in color!!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by terminator
Do you think you could do $150 shipped to a 27513 business zip? Wish it was oak in color!!!!
PM sent
Old 12-15-2011, 12:52 PM

Still available??
Old 12-15-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 442Limited
Still available??
Yes, it's still available.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:04 PM

PM sent, if its still available I'll take it!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:42 PM

This has been sold. Thanks for looking.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 PM