Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Toyo Open Country M/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyo Open Country M/T

A while back there was a thread here I think by Brantik I believe speaking about the Toyo Open Country M/T tires. I have looked for and searched for it and I can not find it.

Anyway, if someone can point me to the original thread I would appreciate it.

I am wondering if Brantik or anyone else got these tires and tried them out yet. I am so sick and tire of these JUNK Goodyear MT/R tires I can't stand it. The constant shaking going down the road has plucked my last nerve. I need to look for something else before I push the whole truck off a cliff.

Gadget

Last edited by Gadget; 10-20-2004 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Banned

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...highlight=toyo is the link to the page... however eading it, it seems no one actually tried them.... well i havent persoanlly tried them, but have mounted many sets on customers cars, and when they come back in for their warranty rotations, they always say that they rock
Old 10-20-2004, 09:25 AM
AUJWE

You may want to look at the BFG Mud Terrain and/or Bridgestone Dueler MT. I've heard a lot of good things about those tires from the weekend warrior type of off-roaders.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Check with Yoter (formerly Big Bad Blue) I think he was running these on his 2nd gen...
You might also consider the Firestone Destination MTs, jacksonpt had a thread or two going about them.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by loosehead
Firestone Destination MTs, jacksonpt had a thread or two going about them.
Yup... love them on the trail, good on the road. Undecided about tread wear at this point. But this all has nothing to do with your initial question, so I'll shut up now...
Old 10-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Gadget, what don't you like about the Goodyear MT/Rs? I've heard nothing but good stuff about them - until now.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kickaha
Gadget, what don't you like about the Goodyear MT/Rs? I've heard nothing but good stuff about them - until now.
I've had the same bad experience with the MT/R's. That's why I sold them.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Banned

Gadget -- I don't have ANY shaking with my MTRs, but if you're having that much trouble with them, definitely get rid of them and get some Toyo MTs ... Anthony is running 37" Toyo MTs and keeps trying to get me to buy some too! I've heard nothing but wonderful things about those tires and if they had come in a workable size for me when I was looking, I'd have bought them in a heartbeat.

PM fourunnabilly if you want to know more about them ...
Old 10-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Banned

i work in the tire industry and mts just suck.... they are hard to balance, dont last for crap, ride like crap, noisy, and pretty much dont work in any terrain like they should... they are a lot of hype for a mediocre and overpriced tire
Old 10-20-2004, 02:53 PM

Why are you riding MT's then Jimabena?

I had problems with balance but it was the wheels. The MTR's have been no problem.
Gadget, check with Brad (red tacoma) he runs a few different tires and worked for a tire company.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Banned

oops refering to the goodyear mtrs :they are hard to balance, dont last for crap, ride like crap, noisy, and pretty much dont work in any terrain like they should... they are a lot of hype for a mediocre and overpriced tire

i am personally running bfg mts on my truck now... and they rock offroad, however wet weather traction on them quite frankly sucks...
Old 10-20-2004, 03:13 PM

Gadget, are running 35's? I didn't think the TOYO Open Country MT's came any smaller than a 35" tire. If they do - and you find them - please post it.

thanks,
John
Old 10-20-2004, 03:16 PM

I was checking on these yesterday. It seems that the 267/75/16 and the 285/75/16 sizes will be out next month. The guy behind the counter has nothing but good things to say about them. He said their manager has a set on his full size super duty ans has 50,000 miles on them and their at half tread.

Now I am in the middle of redoing suspension and waiting for the 285/75/16's to hit the sales floor. I already have new wheels sitting in the garage waiting for the tires.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimabena74
oops refering to the goodyear mtrs :they are hard to balance, dont last for crap, ride like crap, noisy, and pretty much dont work in any terrain like they should... they are a lot of hype for a mediocre and overpriced tire
I've been running mine for a few months now and have nothing but good things to say about them. With all the crap people have said about them, I was expecting to experience all those things but have been absolutely impressed with mine. They perform better on my truck than the stock Michelin X-Terrains. Everyone has different experiences with the tires. If everyone experienced the issues you've mentioned, no one would have any positive comments to make about them, but they are one of the highest rated MTs on tirerack.com and other places where customers have written reviews. Maybe they suck for some people and in some cases/applications, but it is unfair to imply that everyone has a poor experience with them.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Banned

i have personally dealt with about 10 sets that had problems @ work and have talked to several people that i have wheeled with who have ran them and had problems.... they are also very overpriced.....

i would personally look into tires that are much better than the MTR..... there are a lot out there....
Old 10-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
i would personally look into tires that are much better than the MTR..... there are a lot out there....
Unfortunately, for some of us 17"ers, there aren't a lot out there. In 285/70/17, there are Goodyear, and BFG, and ???. If Toyo made them, I'd jump on them.

I've read a few posts from former BFG owners who went to Goodyears, were very happy and would never go back. And now the opposite. I suppose there are probably even a few people who don't like their Toyos for whatever reason.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Banned

a lot of people HERE ON YOTATECH even recommended the MTRs ... so some people have found some good in them.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Banned

im not saying they are all bad, forget who said it, but they are good in the rocks, its jsut with the amount of tires i have seen and used, and worked on, it seems to be that 90% of people who buy the mtrs are not happy with them......
Old 10-20-2004, 05:51 PM

I am having the same problem I have always had with the Goodyear MT/R tires.

THEY ARE NOT ROUND. It is really just that simple.

I had the tire shop go through 8 different tires and the lowest of the bunch was still over 40 lbs of road force variation. Anything over 15 will shake the truck on a 3rd gen.

Later I found a shop that would shave them round. That helped a lot, and I then had them match mounted again and again that helped, but the truck still shook like crazy on the highway.

All the people I wheel with has the same thing to say about them, LOTS OF ROAD VIBRATION.

Now the tires are super off road and I have no complaints there. They do have a lot of traction off road. Much better then I thought they would.

I did have BFG A/T tires on another pickup and I had no complaints at all with those and if something else does not come up that is what I will get again.

The sad thing is that every single vehicle I have ever had that had Goodyear tires on it had a vibration problem. My F-150 had GY Wranglers on it, shook like crazy, put them in the trash and got Michelins. My new Murano has Goodyears and it shakes a little bit. The government cars I drove for years had Goodyears and they all shook all the time. I guess Goodyear can not make a round tire. Maybe they should stick with blimps.

Gadget
Old 10-20-2004, 06:53 PM

I'm still running the Toyo OC MT's

These tires are sweet. I have owned them since earlier this year and they have lost hardly any tread. I have found they do not hold up to sharp rock though. These tires are supposed to be good to go even without wheel weights. I purchased the 35x13.5x15's and put them on my ProComp black rockcrawlers. I would recomend them to anyone that asks.

Quick Reply: Toyo Open Country M/T