Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Super Swamper LTB's or Kumho Venture MT's

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Swamper LTB's or Kumho Venture MT's

Im getting them in 31x11.50R15's and they are the same price (actually a 3 dollar diff. ). Im leaning towards the swampers because I think they are much stronger and may be better in extreme situations.

What are your thoughts when it comes to these tires. Strength, reliabilty, weight, etc. tread wear is not a big deal for me since it is pretty much just a hunting/offroad rig, but I still want them to last a while.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Swampers:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/produ...TIRES&man=INTE

Kumho's:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Venture+MT
Old 06-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Seeing your from Bakersfield (my neck of the woods) I think the Kumho's would be a better chioce. They should last longer and theres really no need for all that extra "bite" the Swampers have in the Mojave desert.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Banned

Kumhos...... ltbs wont last for crap on the street..... i know you said you arent too concerned about treadwear life... but you will be driving to and from the hunting grounds on roadways correct?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:32 PM

This is a similar question I asked myself before I ended up buying the Kumhos. I went with the Kumhos for several reasons. The first being the longevity of them versus the swaper ltb in your case. The second reason is that a lot of the reviews rated the kumhos on par with the BFG MT or better. The biggest thing was the price can't be beaten. I have only 2,000 miles on mine so far, so I can't give you a long term analysis yet, but I would definitly go for the Kumhos. The have done great on road, rain, and off road (mild mud, sand, and mild rocks). Hope this helps
Old 06-17-2005, 06:34 PM

Yea thats what I was thinking, thanks guys. I do drive it around town a bit, so tires that can hold up to the pavement better is a good choice. I just want to make sure I get the best bang for the buck and have tires that can hold up to some decentnly hard wheeling.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:44 PM

Thanks masterwacker, I totaly agree with you on the price and ratings, especially in comparison to the BFG's. I dont see why more people have these tires, Im not saying the BFG's are not as good, they are just as good or possibly better but cost a HELL of alot more.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

I've got LTBS, had em for just over 1k miles and they still have some of the nubbin things on the tread along with the mold lines. They're not that loud, and actually sound really cool. Haven't noticed much of any diff from my street tires to these in reg driving but in rain braking there is a bit less bite with the swampers...so far I'm happy with them and glad I chose these

Last edited by Silver_Truck; 06-18-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:22 PM

I ended up with the Kumhos. a HELL of a lot quieter and smoother ride than my friend's swampers. Great grip so far, esp in loose dirt on hills where i used to slide around with my dueler a/ts. I also got them siped, just the center lugs.

Here's a photo of mine with the 32x11.50s from tirerack:

Old 06-17-2005, 10:36 PM

viperdan, have you measured the tread width of your 32x11.5's? they don't list tread width on tirerack for those..
Old 06-18-2005, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the pic Viperdan, I think from more research and all of your coments Im going with the kumhos, Thanks guys.

Viperdan what is your set up with your 32's. My buddy has a 2000 taco and has the 32x11.50's in BFG's. I put his on my 93 runner (all stock susp.) and the back will have to be lifted atleast 2-3 inches to be able to wheel at all and the front was great but rubbed bad at full crank of the steering wheel. Just wanted to know what u got to fit, how it's doing and if there is much variation from the BFG's and kumhos. Thanks

Last edited by Magreger; 06-18-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

I like "Hoes"

Running 35's on the 71 FJ40. It's been nearly a year now. I am completely happy with them. They perform well in mud, sand and asphalt.

Doug
Old 06-19-2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Magreger
Thanks for the pic Viperdan, I think from more research and all of your coments Im going with the kumhos, Thanks guys.

Viperdan what is your set up with your 32's. My buddy has a 2000 taco and has the 32x11.50's in BFG's. I put his on my 93 runner (all stock susp.) and the back will have to be lifted atleast 2-3 inches to be able to wheel at all and the front was great but rubbed bad at full crank of the steering wheel. Just wanted to know what u got to fit, how it's doing and if there is much variation from the BFG's and kumhos. Thanks
Check out my sig for what im running. Basically a 1.5" suspension lift all around. My rims are 15x7 (love the look of the thinner rims with wide tires)with stock backspacing. I get minor rubbing with the wheel cranked all the way hard. Steering stops will cure this. I haven't really tried to flex much, but I think I may have to trim my valance. There's no issues in the back...yet.

I'll have to measure my tread width tonight....

My only complaint is probably more related to the increase in tire size than the tires themself, but it seems like it takes more pressure on the brakes and distance to stop now. Siping probably helps a bit (which mine are) but the truck is heavier now, therefore there is more momentum.

Last edited by viperdan; 06-19-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by viperdan
Check out my sig for what im running. Basically a 1.5" suspension lift all around. My rims are 15x7 (love the look of the thinner rims with wide tires)with stock backspacing. I get minor rubbing with the wheel cranked all the way hard. Steering stops will cure this. I haven't really tried to flex much, but I think I may have to trim my valance. There's no issues in the back...yet.

I'll have to measure my tread width tonight....

My only complaint is probably more related to the increase in tire size than the tires themself, but it seems like it takes more pressure on the brakes and distance to stop now. Siping probably helps a bit (which mine are) but the truck is heavier now, therefore there is more momentum.
they look great on your truck though.. yeah I've read that they run narrow, but they look like most other 11.5's judging by your pic.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:21 PM

Well, I'm not exactly sure what constitutes where the tread begins (the outermost lugs alternate between 2 heights and widths). When measuring the wider part, the tread extends 9-3/4" wide across the tire on mine.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:17 PM

here are some pics.

this is my 93 runner all stock susp. with BFG MT's 32x11.50 (backspace?) on 15x10 wheels. The second pick is me flexing my stock susp. (with sag). the front was ok but totally dug into the front inner corner of the fender and the back was ok but would rub bad if I hit a decent bump or hill. They stick out a little bit from the fenders, they look alot more fatter than viperdans.

Sorry these are off a camera phone.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Magreger; 06-22-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Magreger
here are some pics.

this is my 93 runner all stock susp. with BFG MT's 32x11.50 (backspace?) on 15x10 wheels. The second pick is me flexing my stock susp. (with sag). the front was ok but totally dug into the front inner corner of the fender and the back was ok but would rub bad if I hit a decent bump or hill. They stick out a little bit from the fenders, they look alot more fatter than viperdans.

Sorry these are off a camera phone.
so you went with bfg's, the 32's are around 145 a tire arent' they? man with 15x10's I'm sure they'd rub a whole lot..

anybody get their kumho's at a store instead of ordering off tirerack? seems like by the time you pay for shipping and then mounting/balancing at a shop and having to pay for balancing every time after that if they need it, that tirerack might not be too gooda deal..
Old 06-27-2005, 02:27 PM

I got my 33x12.5 Kumho MT for a 15" rim (total of 4) mounted and balanced and the 50k mile warranty for $550 out the door at Tire Discounters
Old 07-03-2005, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by viperdan
Well, I'm not exactly sure what constitutes where the tread begins (the outermost lugs alternate between 2 heights and widths). When measuring the wider part, the tread extends 9-3/4" wide across the tire on mine.
they must go by another way, cause on this site they say the 33x12.5's have 9.7" tread width,.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by masterwacker
I got my 33x12.5 Kumho MT for a 15" rim (total of 4) mounted and balanced and the 50k mile warranty for $550 out the door at Tire Discounters
that's a good price, I did a search and it looks like there aren't any of those stores in va though..
Old 07-03-2005, 02:54 PM

if you think about it 9.7 and 9 3/4 are relativlely the same.

Quick Reply: Super Swamper LTB's or Kumho Venture MT's