Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels
Sponsored by:
Click Here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

steel vs aluminum rims

Just thinking of getting some new 8 inch rims with my new tires, and was wondering how much of a weight/ gas milage difference it would be with steel rims instead of the stock 4runner ones (1998 SR5) Id much rather have steel and not have to worry about them being damaged, and theyre a hell of a lot cheaper.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you off-road a lot, then the steelies make more sense, since you can usually fix minor bends in the rims. With aluminum, not so much...

Retired: 1991 4Runner, 3.4 5VZFE swap, OME suspension, 31" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Pioneer head unit, JL Audio amplifier, Pioneer and Infinity speakers, XM Satellite radio
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Last edited by Gnarly4X; 09-18-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I mostly just do some mudding and trails, nothing hardcore so maybe aluminum would be better?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

There lighter. For awhile I was swapping out street tire and wheeling tires as needed. The street tires were narrower, less aggressive tread, on factory Aluminum rims. I got better gas mileage with them of course but many factor were contributing. If you don't seriously wheel it than stick with the factory rims or if you like the steel better go with the steel.

If you wheel it steel is perferred. I myself and friends have pounded rims back into shape with Aluminum, no not going to happen.

4rnr is in storage.

Love the autobahn and beer/wine/schnapps

Only offloading for me is mountain biking.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Steelies are way heavier. MPG and performance were both hindered on mine...measurably. I'd say it hit me for about 1mpg and about .2 seconds 0-60 (I realize some people could care less about the 2nd one). Pros and cons to both I guess, but I ended up returning my steelies to Discount if that tells you anything and went back to the original alloys. And yes, I wheel(ed) my rig in the AZ desert (at the time).

Now I just encourage people to paint their existing alloys. New look, same performance.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

whichever you go with, make sure you have the correct lug nuts if you change from one the the other.

My Toyota Fleet: 1993 X-Cab 4wd -- 2002 Land Cruiser -- 2001 Corolla S -- 2013 Prius
Old 11-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I didnt even realise there was a difference in lugnuts for steel vs aluminum and I torque up wheels almost every day
Old 11-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
18, alloy, aluminium, aluminum, bicycle, bike, inch, lug, nuts, rims, steel, street, tires, truck, vs