Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Snow Chains...Front or Rear in 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Chains...Front or Rear in 4wd?

Where do you install your chains? Ever have one break?

• Front axle --> good acceleration, good steering, good braking. However, since the rear wheels have no lateral guidance, the rear end might come around - fast. Not good. Feather your brakes. Go slow.

• Rear axle --> good acceleration, lousy steering (no lateral guidance), marginal braking (remember, 80% of brake force is created at front wheels and without chains that ain't happening). No fishtailing. Best compromise for 4WD with only one pair of chains. Go slow.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
You shouldn't need chains at all for 4wd. Mostly because hopefully you are not going to drive around like an idjit trying to do 60 mph in the snow just cause you have 4wd.

And you live in seattle. Cmon.

But if you must have chains, use them in the rear. Then the back end is less likely to come around on you, and you wont be "dragging" the truck, you will be pushing it.

btw I see you got your info from here: http://www.4x4abc.com/jeep101/chains.html

Just follow that advice.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:51 PM

I was told this summer by a friend of my father in law the way to do it is one in front, the other in back opposite side. Rin it in 4wd good steering and rear end won't come around in breaking. I'm gonna try it this way this year.

I run V bar chains for extra grip, and if things get really bad I have 2 sets so I can get all chained up.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sdstud212001
I was told this summer by a friend of my father in law the way to do it is one in front, the other in back opposite side. Rin it in 4wd good steering and rear end won't come around in breaking. I'm gonna try it this way this year.

I run V bar chains for extra grip, and if things get really bad I have 2 sets so I can get all chained up.
That would only be useful if it has dual lockers. The engine will always supply power to the wheel with the least traction. So if the wheels without the chains are spinning, the chains are useless.

Obvoiusly a different story with lockers.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rear, on the front the chains will like likely rub.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by sdstud212001

Lots of snow in Arizona, eh?
Old 12-06-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Rear, on the front the chains will like likely rub.
Depends on the tire size, Dale.

If one only had one set of chains, put them in the rear. If you can't steer, you should've stayed home.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny story about having only one set of chains...

So this ICE storm hits VT and Im up to Ski at Mad River Glen.
Its a really tight narrow road to access the ski area.

Im thinking... front or rear?
Well Im going up hill and so - I need steering so FRONTS it is.

I get up to the U bend / parking lot and no doh - it early, the plows havent gotten there and there's nto enough staff to run the mountain yet.

Not sure what I was thinking (or NOT) and decided to go back DOWN the road. With front chains.

I get to the firs minor bend in the road and the road is off camber to the RIGHT (the bend is to the left) and Im near the guide rail when...

No doh

The rear end swings to the right - straight for the guide rail. I floor it and turn the 4Runner into the left lane (no one is getting up that hill until the sand truck gets there anyway)...
I make it - barely. My (then) wooden bumper (bolted to a Class III trailer hitch) gets swiped off. Oh well..

I drive back UP the hill and wait for the sand truck

The Sand Truck btw only makes it up there by BACKING up the hill...

When I got home I ordered a second set of chains.

Later on (after spinning the truck in 4WD on a rain storm on top of an ice storm (6" standing water on 6" of frozen ice)) I switch to studded Nokia Pizza Cutters... havent used the chains since

Last edited by ewong; 12-06-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
Lots of snow in Arizona, eh?
in Flagstaff there is snow http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...=19&begDay=340 but not what some would call alot.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Denk
Where do you install your chains? Ever have one break?
I've had two chains break on me, both on my 97 civic.

The first time I was driving back from big bear following some friends, all of which had chains on. The slow cleared out and we started going 40MPH. My friends who I was following kept passing turn offs, two of my friends and I tried calling them to tell them to pull over an pull off the chains but we didn't get reception. Just my luck that my chains snapped first. Moral of the story, follow the directions and don't drive over 30MPH.

One month later after I replaced and repainted the fender I was up at Big Bear again. After the snow chains failed on me the first time I decided to buy cables this time. Half an hour after I put them on while trying to drive over a ditch into a driveway one of the links on the cables broke on me. Man was I pissed off. I probably pushed the cables too hard, but I didn't want to park on the street just in case someone was driving down the street, hit their brakes and skidded into the back of my car.

This is one reason why I picked up my 4runner this year, 4WD for the snow. So just take it easy on them and follow the directions and you should be alright.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ewong
Funny story about having only one set of chains...
........ I switch to studded Nokia Pizza Cutters... havent used the chains since
Well, that's a testament if I've heard one.

(Got any info on the Nokia's you're running? Size, etc.?)

Redneck studs...
Machine screws and cordless driver.

Last edited by thook; 12-06-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Well, that's a testament if I've heard one.

(Got any info on the Nokia's you're running? Size, etc.?)
Nokia Hakka 1's
235/85R16 on "Chevy" 16x7 rims (might be 16x6 - I ferget) but they have a 3.5 backspacing - so they are "pushed out" but no further than my 31x10.5 R15s are.

Dual tru tracs
4.56 gears
Gen1 4Runner - 22RE - w56 trans

SAW "pre runner" torsions, AOR super stiff (for load carrying) rear pack - no overload (not do I need em) about 1-2" of "lift"

Truck is set up for camping and winter driving up north... tho I havent been in a while since kids arrived...

Last edited by ewong; 12-06-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 PM

IMO...

if there is lots of snow on the ground (over 5") i'd put them on the back.

but if it rains and then snows, i'd put them on the front for steering traction on the ice.

If most of your icy/snowy driving is downhill, then front.

If most is going up hill, then rear.

just my 2¢

background: lived in frazier park, ca for 18 years where is snows every winter.

PRAY FOR SNOW!!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You know what's really sweet?

two ARB's, 4 tire chains, and 14" of snow on the road.

Ever drive on a COMPLETELY deserted freeway through the middle of the city?

Yeah, sweet.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Snow in Seattle consists of 3 days of slush. 4WD not even necessary. When I go winter camping in Idaho, the chains are definitely packed. One thing I did learn is to put the chains on before you go down the FS road. Snow gets deep real quick. Spent about an hour digging out the wheels to put the chains on. Sure was nice sunny weather though.

Last edited by Denk; 12-06-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ewong
Nokia Hakka 1's
235/85R16 on "Chevy" 16x7 rims (might be 16x6 - I ferget) but they have a 3.5 backspacing - so they are "pushed out" but no further than my 31x10.5 R15s are.

Dual tru tracs
4.56 gears
Gen1 4Runner - 22RE - w56 trans

SAW "pre runner" torsions, AOR super stiff (for load carrying) rear pack - no overload (not do I need em) about 1-2" of "lift"

Truck is set up for camping and winter driving up north... tho I havent been in a while since kids arrived...
I did some quick searching. Those sound like a great winter tire. Some were remarking about the cost and availability. What'd you pay and where? Also, would you mind terribly translating that metric tire size for me into inches? If I got some, they'd be going on 15's, though.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
You know what's really sweet?

two ARB's, 4 tire chains, and 14" of snow on the road.

Ever drive on a COMPLETELY deserted freeway through the middle of the city?

Yeah, sweet.
That's it.....gloat. ARB's....ha! Fancy man.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 PM

Never really gave this thought because I will always have a full set of chains. But if I was only running one set I'd put them in the back or in any case on the lighter end of the vehicle.

Especially if you are a running a locker or LSD in the rear. You'll find you can steer but your butt end will slide to whatever angle the road is going =)

But, GET A FULL SET OF CHAINS, dont be cheap if you actually go into conditions that you will NEED chains. I've never encountered a ice/snow situation that only made me want to use one set of chains. It's either you dont need them or you need all 4. And I've been in late/winter early spring snow conditions that I wasnt even able to get anywhere with all 4 chains and new siped mud rovers.

deep old snow = might wanna invest in a snowmobile becuase your truck aint goin no where!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM

chains are illegal in canada i think
Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get 4!
Lots of dealers won't sell just one pair anymore. To scared of getting sued because other people are idiots.

Quick Reply: Snow Chains...Front or Rear in 4wd?