Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Looking to purchase stock tires. Will I be banned for this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to purchase stock tires. Will I be banned for this?

I'm probably the only person on this site that simply wants their 4runner to stay pretty much stock looking.

The tires I have on it now are pretty worn. 235 75 15's . What tire would you recommend, for a decent price, I should take a look at.

Keep in mind, I use the thing like a car. It will never see a snow flake (or a salty Michigan road for that matter), will be up on blocks from November to April, will probably never see a mud bog, etc.

To come right out and say it, I guess I'm looking for glorified all season (car tires???!!) radials.

Thanks for any input. And yes, I will be turning in my man card.

vmax84

Old 06-14-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
michelin are good tires or even bfg all terrains and they look cool too... you can get the same size you got or go to 29,30 or 31s no problem...

if you like the look of your current tires get the same kind.. or cheap go for some hankook or off brands
Old 06-14-2008, 04:50 PM

Wow, that is an awesome 4runner, beauty. I think you should sell it to me for a bargain price, and get a subaru outback. lol jk. Don't really have a suggestion as far as all season car type tires, about the least aggressive i've ever looked at was a BFG A/T. I really just wanted to compliment your 4runner.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:01 PM

It's been a long road with this vehicle. Bought in 3 years ago down in Texas and when the dust finally settled, I pretty much have gone thru everything on it. Engine tore out and bored 20 over, crank turned, brand new cylinder head, new clutch, and on and on and on and on it goes!!!!!!

The last thing I want to do is take it down a Michigan salty road in the winter. I won't be doing this since I've got so much effort, sweat, knuckle busting, and MONEY into it now. If you haven't seen what salt will do to a vehicle, come on up here to Michigan. It's awful.

Where was I going with this? Oh, simply just want to keep it stock looking!!

vmax84
Old 06-14-2008, 05:11 PM

So what was the point of all the money and time if you don't drive it? It is a beautiful truck though. Good job.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:11 PM

Old 06-14-2008, 05:12 PM

yeah i have 2 runners and i find oil spraying and weekly care washes in the winter is the only way to slow rust...i know the feeling about putting so much time and sweat into these trucks... i feel like i almost know every square inch of both trucks.. but atleast it keeps you out of trouble
but its a losing battle with rust here..
wot year is yur runner??

how about some nice michelin ltx mns or one of there all seasons you can get the most miles out of them and there stock looking... id just go to your local shop and see what they got the best price on..
HE DRIVES IN IN THE SUMMER
I DONT DRIVE MY 64 AUSTIN HEALY in the winter either man
Old 06-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Ah I see, it looks mint and you want to keep it that way. I don't blame you wanting to keep it out of the salt. Once again very nice rig.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by gte718p
So what was the point of all the money and time if you don't drive it? It is a beautiful truck though. Good job.
I have taken my Corolla off the road and am now using the 4runner for my daily driver. Get groceries, take the kids to softball and soccer.......I know, pitiful.

That's the reason I sold my dirt bike. Rather than go thru the mud pile I would go around it since I didn't want dirt and crap getting up into the bearings, etc.

It took a lot of effort to get it to Michigan and a lot of work for a guy who has never tore into a machine as far as I did to get it where it is now. I just can't see tearing it up now.

vmax84
Old 06-14-2008, 05:19 PM

I had always wanted a two door 4runner. One of my sisters had an extended cab Toyota 4x4 pickup years ago. I was hooked on Toyota's after driving her truck.

vmax84
Old 06-14-2008, 05:21 PM

Stock tires, running boards, big a$$ mud flaps.............

vmax84
Old 06-14-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by vmax84
I have taken my Corolla off the road and am now using the 4runner for my daily driver. Get groceries, take the kids to softball and soccer.......I know, pitiful.

vmax84
See there is your problem. Your supposed to keep the corolla on the road. Its not 4wd and doesn't like the mud. Really bad articulation too. Thats what the 4runner is for.

Just kidding, I know what you meam. I will gladly relieve you of your 4runner, and your garage if you want to recoup some of that money. Working in my driveway sucks. Even here in beautiful sunny Cali.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:23 PM

nice choise my parts had a 87 same grey color .. its the reason why i love 4runners... i never tore into a car before.. my father used to do most of it and i was the tool helper and brake guy... when he passed away and i got my own 4runner i could find no better thing to do with his dd 4runner than to turn it into a trail rig.. it was taught me everything i know about 22re 4runners... which is quite a lot..

im def a toyota 4x4 dude 4 life
now i just want a diesel cruiser so i can dd it and tow the trail rig properly.. towing a 22re with a 22re sucks.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:38 PM

Michelin makes excellent all round street tires. For dedicated street use, Michelin Cross-Terrain SUV is a decent choice. I run them on my wife's Highlander. We put them on all of our customer's city SUV's. Toyota and Lexus specs them on a lot of their SUVs and trucks.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:39 PM

One of my mistakes here. When I installed this amp (the other one is on the left side of the vehicle!!), I forgot the air vents for the door panel jutted into the cavity. So, the panel won't fit because the amp is too close.

I'm thinking about cutting on my stock panel, to see if I can get it to fit, but I hate to wreck a perfetly good panel. Ideas?

vmax84

Old 06-14-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you should be able to go as big as 255/75r-15's without interference problems. most tire shops will test fit a tire to be sure.
bfg, uniroyal, firestone and bridgestone all have very good light truck tires at somewhat reasonable cost. at least get an MT rated tire. you don't need any special speed rating. pathfinder is also a decent off-brand tire.
I've had good luck with bridgestone's tires on a few company trucks I've owned with regards to tread life- over 50,000 miles on a set with regular rotations and balancing.
whichever way, check into road hazard / replacement warrantees also.
I'd expect to pay at least 75 per tire + mount and balancing, up to 120 per tire + M & B.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vmax84
One of my mistakes here. When I installed this amp (the other one is on the left side of the vehicle!!), I forgot the air vents for the door panel jutted into the cavity. So, the panel won't fit because the amp is too close.

I'm thinking about cutting on my stock panel, to see if I can get it to fit, but I hate to wreck a perfetly good panel. Ideas?

vmax84

Maybe a nice clear plexiglass cover with some vent holes drilled to the side of the amp?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:43 PM

Looks nice, I would run some BFG'S A/T, but if your only going to drive it summer time, I would buy some cheap tires.

BTW, you hate salt, try fighting it when you live on a Island....
Old 06-14-2008, 05:53 PM

31 10.50.15 bfg a/ts made my runner look so much better than the stock tires... its like those tires are made 4 4runners
Old 06-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a set of 31/10.50/15s MT/Rs on my last 87 and they fit with no rubbing.

Nice looking 4Runner.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase stock tires. Will I be banned for this?