Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Goodyear MT/R's and Mud Terrian Tires in General???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear MT/R's and Mud Terrian Tires in General???

Hey I know alot of guys around here run MT/Rs on their rigs, and I would just like to know how do you think they are hlding up over the mialge you've put on them andabut how many miles wold you expct themto get total? I'm really interested in selling my BFG AT's and getting a set of MT/R's from tirerack while they are still on sale there. The most important thing to me is overall milage and wear, I'm in college and can't be affording to replace tires every 30K.

Is there any other Mud Tire you would suggest that might go the distance for me? Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

The MT/R's are not considered a mud tire, though they share the wide void characteristic. They are a rock tire first and foremost. They will last 45-50,000 miles. Many have stated their displeasures with these tires in the mud on this forum and others. But I have also seen where a few users reported these tires were better in the mud than the BFG KM's. However, if you're looking for a mud tire for that purpose, the general consensus is to look elsewhere as this is the biggest "weakness" of these tires.

The BFG KM's or Bridgestone Dueler MT's will probably give you a bit more life. As for what else is out there for mud tires that will last, I don't know as I don't live in the Mud Belt.

Last edited by Darren; 07-02-2003 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

WEll I know that MT/R's are rock tires, but I always fancy'd them as mud tires too, I try to stay out of the mud the bst I can but to get to the really exciting parts of the trails I run you gota do alot of stream crossing ad mud hole diving. I really just want a tire that doesn't just conform to the rut already provided I want something that can rip a whole new pattern and get out of th sticky situations I always seem to be in. I need an aggresivetire that will be good all around and get me home and back again. Thanks Daren for your quick reply.

Come on I know that everyone has an opinion on tires, lets here um.

EDIT: I do lve in the Mud Belt, but I would really like to get on to some rocky trails, as I know mud envades everything and messes up alot of stuff, would it be smart toplan for the future , and do the best I can w/ the MT/R's not actully being a mud tire?

Last edited by Stump1883; 07-02-2003 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Stump1883
I really just want a tire that doesn't just conform to the rut already provided I want something that can rip a whole new pattern and get out of th sticky situations I always seem to be in. I need an aggresivetire that will be good all around and get me home and back again.
Sounds like a real good tire choice for you then. I have been in the situation you describe, with the muddy, slick deep ruts. They do a very nice job indeed of making their own path and climbing out of them. It's the real thick, gooey, boggey stuff that I've not been in that I can't attest to. That might sound somewhat contradictory, but the limited mud I've used them in, I have been quite pleased to say the least.

From other reports, it sounds like you just need some wheel spin/speed for them to clean well in the real thick stuff.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think my MT/R's are going to last very long. We'll see. If I can't get a good deal again, I'll go back to Bridgestone.

MT/R's hum on the street. Although the crawler gears hum more. I guess I just can't win the quest for a luxury wheeler.

Old 07-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

I've got them. I like em. I have about 10,000 miles on mine so far, and I'll tell ya, I hardly notice any wear. Obviously there is some, but they still look close to how they were new. So I expect to get 40-50k miles on them. I'm almost disappointed in that because I want 33s now, but oh well

As for mud...no complaints. I've been thought some crazy mud pits and thick mud, and I had no problem. A good vid of that is on my website in the trails>>hungrry valley section. I just went though the mud no problem. Granted not all mud is the same, but still I'm happy with them. I really do think these are the best overall tire for on and off road. There's not the greatest in rain, but the offroad strengths outweight that.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the Pro Comp MTs, and they do pretty well in the mud around here. The only complaint I have with them so far is that I gashed the sidewall of one on a rock and had to replace it. I suppose that could happen with most radial mud tires, and maybe it was a freak thing, but I wasn't too happy about it!:cry:

As far as mileage goes, my 3 original tires probably have about 10,000 miles total on them. I don't think they will go much past 30K miles, though. They still have quite a bit of tread left, but when comparing them to the brand new tire, I realize how much tread is already worn off.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:42 AM

I got a set of MT/Rs for my Runner on the advice of Schafer, now he does not like them. Go figure...

I think the MT/Rs work great off road. The really seem to have great traction and from what I have seen I can do thing with less effort then the folks with those swamper things. Overall I am very happy with them off road.

On road is a different story. They are Goodyears and I have never used a Goodyear truck tire that was round enough to give a smooth ride. It just seems they will not make them round for some reason. Even with the road force match mounting they still induce more vibration then I like. I am looking for a place that will shave them round so I can get a smooth ride out of them. If anyone knows of a place to do that please let me know.

When I was at Paragon I saw a Jeep with that new tire from BF Goodrich. This is supposed to be the hot lick tire for off road use and it will still give you good road manners. BFGs are made by Michelin for those of you that do not know. I think my next set of tires will be these. I just wish I knew what they were called.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-03-2003, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was it the new BFG Krawler TA KX?

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...rawlertakx.jsp

I saw those on display at 4 Wheel Parts, and they are wicked looking! They only sizes they come in right now are 35X13.50R15 or 37X12.50R17.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Gadget
I got a set of MT/Rs for my Runner on the advice of Schafer, now he does not like them. Go figure...
BS! I NEVER said I did not like them. I said that they are not going to last that long. That I have wet and wild dreams about the traction and cool lugs but that they wear quickly.

I think the MT/Rs work great off road. The really seem to have great traction and from what I have seen I can do thing with less effort then the folks with those swamper things. Overall I am very happy with them off road.
Every Swamper I have even seen in AZ has blew chunks. If anything they work better back there in the mud.

On road is a different story. They are Goodyears and I have never used a Goodyear truck tire that was round enough to give a smooth ride. It just seems they will not make them round for some reason. Even with the road force match mounting they still induce more vibration then I like. I am looking for a place that will shave them round so I can get a smooth ride out of them. If anyone knows of a place to do that please let me know
Yeah you bet they vibrate. This would be my one and only gripe.

When I was at Paragon I saw a Jeep with that new tire from BF Goodrich. This is supposed to be the hot lick tire for off road use and it will still give you good road manners. BFGs are made by Michelin for those of you that do not know. I think my next set of tires will be these. I just wish I knew what they were called.
They only come in 35" & 37" for 15" wheels and cost twice the retail price of MT/R's. Too rich for my blood. But I don't have time to surf every web site in existance so this data about the BFG's might be wrong.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 07-03-2003 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:52 AM

I did some trail running while I was in Wash. and also had a lot of fun on the Pacific beaches. The MT/R's were very much an improvement over my old Bridgestone AT's. At slow speeds they don't slip so you don't have to gun the gas and tear up the evnironment. Aired down they crawl very nicely.

Gadget I drove 2200 miles both ways on that trip and thought that the handling was great except I-10E from Phoenix to the New Mexico state line. I don't know what surface they were using but it rode terrible and felt like I needed an alignment again. As soon as I hit NM it was all great again. With all that driving I don't have noticable wear yet. Some day I'll go 285's and put in some 4.88's since I am so happy with these tires.