Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Best Size 2nd Gen With Or Without Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Size 2nd Gen With Or Without Lift

Okay guys dont be to brutal, but I have read, and read and well ive read, and done some more reading on what is the best size to gear ratio and lift and AGH! its insane I dont want to be bashed to hard but simply what is everyones opinion on 2nd gen 4runners and tire size.

I am running 30x 9.50 now not a bad size, but not beefy at all. My 4runner looks... well squatty. I am working on a budget here, and I dont do any super serious wheeling. More of just some mud, and snow pushin, not a big crawler, mainly for my lack of experience.

Anyways back to subject, I was wondering what would look best, I was thinking maybe a 3 inch body lift and some 33x11.50s or 33x12.50s maybe even 10.50s i just am reading and cant make my mind up.

So price is somewhat of an object here. I just wanted to know what you guys thought. I have stock gears in a 1991 sr5 3.0 manual, im not sure if they are 4.29 or not. Help there would be appreciated too. Anyways So what is everyones opinion maybe a 3 inch body lift and some kind of 33 or am I getting to excessive? I just want something to look a little better.

And if its not to much to ask dont bash me to hard lol, I will accept what is comming to me though

EDIT: If you have pictures Post em all up id really appreciate it!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

you will not need a three inch lift for 33s i say do a 2" body lift which makes it so you do not need to extend your shifter and run 33x11.50s you'll have more clearance than necessary the look of a lifted truck and meatier tires and your gear ratio i think is 4.56 but could be wrong
Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, you've got to find out what gears you have. There's an axle code decoder online. Search here for that, and you'll probably find as much information as you'd ever want for you're gear ratio questions.

I've got 33-12.50's on stock wheels with downey coils in the back (around 2.5" lift) cranked up the torsion bars up front (around 1.5 inch lift) and a 1 inch body lift, and I still have a little rubbing at full lock even with some grinding/hammering the pinch welds. 33-10.50's probably wouldn't rub on my rig though. I have 4.30 gears, and a 5 speed. I get around 14MPG now (I used to get 19 with 31-10.50's), and a significant loss in power.

That's just my rig setup. You are going to have to search this site for more info related to your rig.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:20 AM

Well I believe I do have 4.56 gears, so thats that. I have done countless hours of searching Yotatech for my rig. Its been a 4 month project just trying to find what size tire i should get.

To be honest, everywhere i read it says go with the 10.50 but I am afraid if I go to low that I will blow a bead when airing down, and just daily driving wont I have a pretty good sidewall bulge? I was thinking the 11.50 would be okay, I can go and get down on the pinch weld. Then they should be okay.

Now what am I looking at gas mileage wise? 15 maybe? I am not super worried about it. I do have another car that we drive around, but I also dont want like my old bronco..... 6 mpg. I also am guessing there is going to be quite a bit of acceleration loss, I live in the foothills I dont have any major mountain pass's or anything to that effect so i should be okay right?

What about brands? what would be the best to go with? A/T or some M/T? BFG, Cooper,.... I am at a loss! Should I go 33's? or maybe smaller?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:57 PM

On my '95 4Runner 3.0, I have 4.88 gears with 31's and have just a shade under 3" of lift. I have a 2" spacer in the rear with cranked torsion bars, I have another 3/4-1" I could crank but I'm waiting until I buy a diff drop and replace the passenger adjustment bolt. I like a good combo of space between the fender and tire so I'm going with 32x11.50 next. Never really liked that size cause its an inbetween size but after seeing it on some 4Runners with slightly less lift than mine, I think it will do the trick. I actually like how my 31's look now but would rather have something slightly bigger and don't like how narrow 33x10.50 is.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah, stick or auto?

If it's a stick, and you don't mind a little rubbing near full lock, you could set yours up similar to mine. I've got Dunlop Mud Rover 33-12.50's, and get around 14 MPG highway. I have 4.30 gears, so your 4.56's would probably help soften the blow to performance with 33's at least a little better than 4.30's. I think 4.88's would be best for 33's, and that's what I'm looking for.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM

Okay, im with you on how narrow the 33x10.50's are, not that narrow is bad, narrow tires ROCK in the snow but I dont want something that narrow. Like you I am all for that certain fender to tire ratio, it gives it a bigger look. Or maybe just that look im going for. Do you have any pics of your 4runner sexasomniac I can have an idea of what it looks like.

It is a stick. I dont mind rub that much, not that I enjoy it but if its only on full lock that I am gonna get it, then its not that big of a deal. So then around town you are only getting like what, 10? How does it ride? What about you stormin? Any pics of your rig? So I can get an idea of the dunlops? I just want to make the best decision ya know? So 33x12.50? Are you on a stock wheel or what?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yota530
It is a stick. I dont mind rub that much, not that I enjoy it but if its only on full lock that I am gonna get it, then its not that big of a deal. So then around town you are only getting like what, 10? How does it ride? What about you stormin? Any pics of your rig? So I can get an idea of the dunlops? I just want to make the best decision ya know? So 33x12.50? Are you on a stock wheel or what?
Around town it's always been bad, like 11-13 with 31's even as bad as 9 sometimes, but with 33's it's around 10-11 around town. On the highway, I have been pleasantly surprised with the gas mileage a few times..... it was over 17 a couple times. I usually adjust my mileage with a calculator, since my speedometer is off by around 10% over stock 225-75 R15 tires. But the 17 I've got a few times was NOT adjusted for to compensate the larger tires. I like the ride of the 33's better than 31's because the larger tire soaks up the bumps in the road a little better, and gravel roads are a little smoother. There is a howl on the highway, though. But you'll get used to that. I'll go out and take a picture of the Dunlops tomorrow. I don't have any current pic of my rig. I am on a stock wheel. If you've got any other questions, just ask. I know I asked a lot of questions before I got mine, but eventually, I just dove in and got them.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Oh, you have no idea how many questions I have haha. Well like where would you get them put on? Should I keep a stock wheel, I really like the black steelies. Whats the stock wheel with? I think I am going to go with the 33x11.50 is that a good choice? Any other brands that you guys favor.

I expected a howl on the highway thats what the radio is for tho ! so you are getting better mpg with 33's? Well should I go get some used ones first? Would that make sense? or should I get all the advice I can and carefully get a pair? I mean what about like Dick Cepecks? Dont the M/T wear kind of fast though?

Last edited by yota530; 01-04-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, you have no idea how many questions I have haha. Well like where would you get them put on? Should I keep a stock wheel, I really like the black steelies. Whats the stock wheel with? I think I am going to go with the 33x11.50 is that a good choice? Any other brands that you guys favor.

I expected a howl on the highway thats what the radio is for tho ! so you are getting better mpg with 33's? Well should I go get some used ones first? Would that make sense? or should I get all the advice I can and carefully get a pair? I mean what about like Dick Cepecks? Dont the M/T wear kind of fast though?
I got mine put on at OK Tire & Automotive in Sacramento. You could paint the stockers black, if you wanted to. lol. Otherwise, I'd make sure to get a factory offset black steelie set if that's the way you wanna go. I believe the stock wheel is 7 inches wide, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd go with 33-12.50's, but that's just me. It might just make the difference between getting stuck, and making it through.

I noticed the best MPG with 31-10.50's. The best I got with those was 20.5MPG average on one tank of gas. The best I've got with the 33's is around 17 (I think it was 17.1 MPG), which if adjusted is about 18.7 MPG...... so not quite better, but sometimes, the MPG will just get 1-3 better, and I have no idea why, but it's a nice surprise. If I was you, and you DO end up getting steelies, or even just another set of stockers, I'd keep the tires you have now (if they still have decent tread), and get a set of new 33's. Then over the summer, you can have your smaller tires get ground into the pavement, and get better MPG, and have more power, etc. If you have the 33's on a different set of wheels, you can just swap them over real quick if you want to go wheeling, or wintertime comes, or something. Dick Cepeks are good, but pretty expensive, and I don't know that they are that much better than my Dunlops, or a set of BFG M/T's. Yes, Mud Terrains all wear faster than All Terrains, but if you keep a set of summer A/T's (which I think are better in gravel/ loose soil) you could have the best of both worlds.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:40 PM

I never thought of it that way. How much did your Dunlops cost you if you dont mind me askin you? I was thinking of going with the new BFG A/T they are pretty aggressive. They tend to look pretty good and I have heard good things. I dont mind the poor gas mileage there are other things that I can drive if it is horrible. I am not particular to any brand, just I like to have something that looks good as well as functions well too!

So yeah how much did you spend? That kind of stuff. So you think the 12.50 is the way to go? Now you only get rub on full lock, not like when you take corners or anything right? how much do they stick out of the fenders? Wait, where are the pics!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

I never thought of it that way. How much did your Dunlops cost you if you dont mind me askin you? I was thinking of going with the new BFG A/T they are pretty aggressive. They tend to look pretty good and I have heard good things. I dont mind the poor gas mileage there are other things that I can drive if it is horrible. I am not particular to any brand, just I like to have something that looks good as well as functions well too!

So yeah how much did you spend? That kind of stuff. So you think the 12.50 is the way to go? Now you only get rub on full lock, not like when you take corners or anything right? how much do they stick out of the fenders? Wait, where are the pics!
Damn, I forgot to take pics today. I'm going to go out right now and see if I can snap a few pics in the dark, but they'd be better than nothing, I guess. I spent $800 on the set of 4 new Dunlops. The A/T's would've been a little cheaper, though. I like the 12.50's better than the 10.50's, since you get a little more contact area on the tire, and I can air down(within reason), and not have to worry a whole lot about losing a bead on the tires. I on'y get rubbing at full lock, or near full lock if the suspension is flexing. The back rubs a little too if it's flexed out. I have got it to rub around a corner before, but that was partly my fault, since I took the corner too fast, and there was a nice big bump in the middle of the corner, which I hit dead on. All it did was rub for a half second, and I didn't feel it pull to either side. My tires stick out around 2 inches, I think. I'm going outside to go look right now.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I believe I do have 4.56 gears, so thats that. I have done countless hours of searching Yotatech for my rig. Its been a 4 month project just trying to find what size tire i should get.

To be honest, everywhere i read it says go with the 10.50 but I am afraid if I go to low that I will blow a bead when airing down, and just daily driving wont I have a pretty good sidewall bulge? I was thinking the 11.50 would be okay, I can go and get down on the pinch weld. Then they should be okay.

Now what am I looking at gas mileage wise? 15 maybe? I am not super worried about it. I do have another car that we drive around, but I also dont want like my old bronco..... 6 mpg. I also am guessing there is going to be quite a bit of acceleration loss, I live in the foothills I dont have any major mountain pass's or anything to that effect so i should be okay right?

What about brands? what would be the best to go with? A/T or some M/T? BFG, Cooper,.... I am at a loss! Should I go 33's? or maybe smaller?

I've been down to 15 psi on the trail on 31x10.5s and never had trouble with the bead breaking.

If I were you, I'd get Moog replacement coils, 33x10.5r15 All Terrains (ie: BFGs).
Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Alright. Got some pics taken today. It looks like with the stock offset on the wheels, the tires stick out around 1.5 inches, maybe two.

These are the best I could do without moving cars around in the driveway, but you get the idea.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:10 AM

i have a 89 xtra cab not sure what gears but if you are looking to save money check out treadwhright.com. they make retreads i have a set of 31 10.50 mts and i like them alot. i do not have a lift so these tires fit nice. they also make all terrain treads as well. got the tires shipped to my house for $475. for some reason right now the 31s are the biggest they sell but i think they are planning larger sizes in the future.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 PM

Hey Stormin sorry for the leave haha but your rig looks great! I really like it so then you are a about 3 and a half inches up from stock. I have been looking around and i can't decide what I want, its kind of a big decision, now if I went with a one inch body lift would I still have to remount the Radiator or would I be okay, Or should I do BJ spacers and LC coils, I just have no idea what do go with. Or should i save the money and do a SAS? What am i lookin at if I do that? OH MAN THE POSSIBILITIES!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:20 PM

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but my stock gears are 4.10- And IMO the way to go is 33/10.50 and a slight lift if any. Look up TC's rig.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
you can fit 31x10.50s, 32x11.50s, 32x9.50s, 33x10.50s, 33x12.50s... etc etc etc... stock. as long as you have the right backspacing, and trimmed body.