Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Skersfans, Ouray Base Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skersfans, Ouray Base Trailer

I am posting this build for Skersfan (Bob) . His trailer is really cool and I thought you all should take a look at it . This is a culmination of the build with progress reports, at different stages

Ouray Base Camp...

Skersfan - Here is the frame for my new trailer. It will be a sleep inside deal. Very aggressive tear drop type, but looks like the space shuttle, fiberglass walls, sleep inside, air conditioning, temperpedic mattress, heat, hot & cold water,stove, fridge, spare tire, generators(2). Hope to have it rolling by Thrill On The Hill

Skersfan - This trailer will set the off road group on its ear I think. Nothing like it. The only problem is the width, so it will most likely become a base camp trailer, capable of any road, but to wide for some trails. Still a slight bit narrower than the FJ Cruiser, but not as trail worthy as my expedition trailers.

Skersfan - I should have walls done today, they are being bent at All Pro. I am stopping at Stellar trailers today to look at the fiberglass panels. If they are what I want I will order them Thursday with a one week turn around.

Skersfan - The water tanks are under the trailer, and will have access from inside the trailer, under a trap door. 22 gallons of water at axle level will help stability of the trailer for sure. I am very excited about this trailer.

Skersfan - Trailer is coming along quite well. Waiting on some parts to put in, stove, water heater, shower. The tanks are in and set under the floor. The back wall is up, but have noticed a correction needed on the roof. Will have to cut the front cross member and move it forward 1/5 inch. The wiring will be the next project, speaker wires for outdoor speaker, upper marker lights, porch light, outside lights, and interrior lights.

[/QUOTE]
Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Picked up plywood for the walls and roof today, picked up hot water heater. Should have the shower, water heater door, stove and sink tomorrow. Hope to have them in by tomorrow nite. I have not heard from the glass guys for the walls, so will give them a call tomorrow.[/I][/B]

More to come...
Old 11-13-2011, 12:47 PM

On with the pictures...

That's his previous trailer build above at the right.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:48 PM

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/switawi/OURAYsecondwallandaccessdoors0041-1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-13-2011, 12:49 PM

From 09/01/11
Skersfan - overall length tip to tail 161 inches. Height is just under 7 foot and width is 80 inches.

It is structurally strong enough to go anywhere. But due to the width, trails like the Rubicon, John Bull and others would be off limits. Towing it up Imogene Pass or Engineer Pass in Ouray would be no problem. I weighed it this morning and it hit the scale at 1400lbs with 20 gallons of water on board. My guess fully loaded it will hit 2000lbs and the axles are set up for 2700lbs.

It seems easier to tow than the box expedition trailers and I am thinking it is because of the nose on the trailer. Less wind drag. I hope to find that out by gas mileage.

I have towed it around and it will stay arrow straight at 90mph. It tows in the narrowest of drive-thru lanes. I have not had it off road yet.

It has a tempurpedic type mattress in it. and the whole front is the bedroom like any tear drop. Memory foam is 8 inches thick.

I will try to get some more pictures of the back to you guys tonight. I built the door and now have to skin it with the fiberglass.

Still a lot of work to do on it. But it is pretty quick to build compared to the box expedition trailers. And more cost affective for the builder as far as time committed.

Sleeping is a 75 inch by 48 inch area. It will have stereo, TV and lights inside. I am putting a Restava memory foam mattress in it. That will make it seem wider due to the fact that you normally do not move around much on that type of mattress.

It is wired for air conditioning with heat strip, but that is out of my budget at the moment. I am waiting on ARB awning to finish it. The top will be rubber like the new motor homes and trailers. Want to be sure to tie it all in together and not have to take the awning off.

I will be able to work on it a little tomorrow I hope, but then I am off to Utah for ten days. I will follow the thread while on vacation when possible, so if there are any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:49 PM

Got back this morning and have worked on it most of the day. The back door is nearly finished, with trim and seal. Still have to do the bottom of it, but will pick us some aluminum angle for the bottom. ARB awning will not get here until after the 25th, so I am starting on the top as we speak. Have a good start, will hopefully finish it tonight and have it at the bed-liner shop in the morning. Screwed up on the tire carrier, as I had the trailer setting sideways in the garage, it has a forward slant for water to run out so I welded the main bar slightly crooked, will fix it tonight also. May have time to work on it tomorrow if possible.

Still have the 120 wiring and some 12 volt to do. Trying to decide if it needs a center license plate holder with light. I am beginning to think the back is to blah for me.

Will check on the graphics for it tomorrow also. They will come as standard feature, and will be color matched to the tow vehicle. Still have some plumbing left, but after tonight I should be able to use it if necessary.

There are things on it that will be changed on the production/sale model. Just things that I do not like, but wanted to get the basic idea out to try and see how it all works.

I am putting foam rubber on the roof for insulation. It is high quality and supposed to last 30 years, I will have rolled it several times by then would be my guess.

Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I had planned on outside water access, but the wife nixed that idea. May put a single faucet for draining the tanks quickly. I have not figured out the plumbing for the sink yet. May use a small holding tank in the bottom or try to figure one out under the trailer.

Still have stereo to wire and install, TV cable to run and access from outside to it. Will pick up CB for it and a flag holder.[/I][/B]
Old 11-13-2011, 12:50 PM

By this point the bedliner had been applied and all the protective plastic had been peeled off the outer skin so this thing's really looking sharp. I'm really digging the serious BASE-CAMP nature of the build. Water, twin generators, recessed lighting, outdoor speakers, CB Radio, and an 8-inch thick memory foam mattress?.. My apartment should be so well appointed (I just have track lighting).

Old 11-13-2011, 12:51 PM

Interior work...

The stereo, electrical outlets, and tempurpedic mattress...

Drip rails...

Checking the light footprint...

Old 11-13-2011, 12:52 PM

Interior is finished with the shagadelic carpet installed. Stereo is in and working, mirror ball, will be installed, just teasing.

Two 750 inverters will be installed tomorrow.

Have been working on the trim for three days now. By far the hardest part of the trailer so far.

Graphics still not ready, and neither are the awning, fridge and slider.

3 12 volt accss sites have been installed, on board dual battery charger installed, cords made for solar and 110. Having a box built for the driver side fender to carry attachment/set up parts. Day/night shades are being made, supposed to be done by next weekend. Will not make the Johnson valley run this weekend. Supposed to rain and I want to get sales type photos before it hits the dirt.

Currently on the trailer.

Frame built with 2x2 120 wall box. I have used this type(not size) of frame for over 25 years on tag trailers, car haulers and 30 foot enclosed car carriers.

Upper frame built and outer wood attached. this will be done differently on the next trailer, will build the complete wall and attach as a single unit, rather than build stick by stick. Gave me the opportunity to make changes as I was going.

Walls and roof manufactured by Eclipse RV Manufacturing installed, with glue and screws and bolts. All trim has been attached with caulking tape and silicone for water tight unit.

All electrical, 12 volt and 110 are complete.

Solar inlet in and working with Morningstar 15 amp voltage/charge controller. Two Concord 120 amp hour batteries installed, charge provided by on board charger, solar and from the vehicle when running.

Waiting on rotopax for driver side.

Still need to finish the sink and drain system. The rest of the plumbing is done other than outside water access. Have not decided to do that yet. On demand water pump is in on a 12 volt switch, hot water heater in and propane lines ran to stove and heater.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Here are some updated pics

Great job on the trailer. I personally like the style of this trailer. Knowing Bob , this thing is built for action. He has lots of experience with what works and why. This would look great behind my truck :-)

He wants opinions about the placement of the Rotopaks
I gave him mine already, but other opinions would be good

blurry but you get the idea

Old 11-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Here's a few more pics of the new items, including placement of the Rotopaks

Painted tank and new storage box on fender

I'm liking the storage box

Old 11-13-2011, 12:57 PM

Pictures from Bob's voyage and the link to the rest

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/...0first%20trip/[/QUOTE]
Old 11-13-2011, 12:58 PM

You are now caught up to the trailer build. Since I condensed the thread content, some discussion may seem a little disjointed. Bob will be joining Yotatech , if not a member already and can answer any question you have for him

thanks
for looking
Old 11-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
This one of the nicer off road teardrop trailers out there.
I have been following the build of it over at Expo.

Bob does great work, and thanks for posting this up.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:42 PM

Trailer

Thanks Corey for the kind comments.

I will be applying to be a vendor soon, trying to get all ducks in line.

The trailer has proven to be quite trail worthy so far. Not on anything to difficult, but has been off road near my home. Took it to Surf and Turf and was warm and dry there. Most likely the only one. lol

Any questions just let me know

Glad to be a member of the forum.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Looks great
Old 11-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NIICE trailer. Always wanted to build something like that. Looks totally pro.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 AM

Thanks guys for your comments. Any suggestions for the production line I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Now, that trailor is beautiful!! Great work and let me know when you start taking orders!! God's blessed you with a great gift , so start your business!! Go Husker!!!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Thank you for your kind words. I may start a new trailer next week, a little wider in the cabin area, but the same width overall. I have knee surgery scheduled for March 19th so can not take too much on, will be down a month I think, but who knows.

Quick Reply: Skersfans, Ouray Base Trailer