Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

How many are getting in the camping mood now that winter is over?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
How many are getting in the camping mood now that winter is over?

All this past winter and early spring I have been getting a few more items for camping this coming season.
The down season is a good time to assess old gear and order new gear you want to try out.

Washed the winter dirt off the rig at the coin-op today, (first rig wash since September or so) and got all the tree scum off of my roof top tent too.

If the weather holds next weekend, I am going to pop the tent open and wash the flannel sheets and fluff the down comforter up, and do a few other maintenance items to the tent.

Might start packing a few items in the rig too that stay in there for the season.
Hoping to make it out by Memorial Day weekend for the first camping trip this year.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im hoping to go out on memorial day weekend as well, the snow was a real killer for camping this year. time to dust off the camping equipment!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 AM

Can't wait. My wife and I have been talking about it for the past month. We will be going out hopefully the weekend of May 7th, open up the trailer, drain all the lines from the winter anti-freeze, stock the fridge, stock the rum and will probably be camping the next weekend. My father-in-law gave me a kayak in the fall so I can't wait to check that out. Never been kayaking before!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by michael1963
Can't wait. My wife and I have been talking about it for the past month. We will be going out hopefully the weekend of May 7th, open up the trailer, drain all the lines from the winter anti-freeze, stock the fridge, stock the rum and will probably be camping the next weekend. My father-in-law gave me a kayak in the fall so I can't wait to check that out. Never been kayaking before!
dont forget that kayak, they are amazingly fun, and very easy to learn. be prepared to get soaked while on it, so if you bring snacks or something of the like, strap it to the kayak in a waterproof bag. no one likes a soggy lunch
Old 04-17-2011, 11:14 AM

Would love to go camping this summer... but the wif's schedule and my schedule... probably not going to happen!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:18 AM

Hopefully headed up to Leadville, Co. for the July 4th. Definitely need to clean out the pickup bed. Living in an apartment the bed of my pick up is the closest thing to a garage I have.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
winters over?! lol
Old 04-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
camping ? i think i remember doing that when i was a kid
Old 04-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by NCalDyer
dont forget that kayak, they are amazingly fun, and very easy to learn. be prepared to get soaked while on it, so if you bring snacks or something of the like, strap it to the kayak in a waterproof bag. no one likes a soggy lunch
Costco has a nice, reasonably priced ($340'ish) kayak I am considering getting.
about the same price as you find on craigslist and will be great for the few times a year I would get time to use it...
Old 04-17-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Elton
camping ? i think i remember doing that when i was a kid
Yeah! I can relate to that feeling! Every time I think this is going to be the year, something in my schedule changes. I need to get my kids out while they are still little.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by NCalDyer
Yep, it's one of those all plastic ones. The guy that camps right beside me has one but didn't go out very often last year because he didn't like going alone. Man, I just realized that I have to buy a life jacket (I can't swim!) It has a small compartment right behind where I sit, perhaps that's where all the food will go...lol...that's where I was going to put my bailing bucket, but I don't think I could actually sink this thing. And your right, I hate soggy food, had enough of that in the Army!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Costco has a nice, reasonably priced ($340'ish) kayak I am considering getting.
about the same price as you find on craigslist and will be great for the few times a year I would get time to use it...
I've seen the one's in Costco, they are a pretty nice looking piece of kit, I just never took a real interest in them until one was given to me. It's hard to say no to free kit!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:36 PM

I think i might camp out in the 4runner this weekend well.. in the shop that is, might as well since there's still 2ft of snow out here and im gonna be tinkering anyways
Old 04-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 89 Frunner
I think i might camp out in the 4runner this weekend well.. in the shop that is, might as well since there's still 2ft of snow out here and im gonna be tinkering anyways
You guys still have snow? We haven't had snow done here since the last week of March. But I remember living in North Bay and still getting snow into the first week of June.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by michael1963
You guys still have snow? We haven't had snow done here since the last week of March. But I remember living in North Bay and still getting snow into the first week of June.
Yeah unfortunately we just got another foot of snow last night just as I was getting into the wrenching in the outdoors mood, we dont even usually go camping till may long.. and even then its %$#ing cold out. lol! Good ol'Canada
Old 04-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 89 Frunner
Yeah unfortunately we just got another foot of snow last night just as I was getting into the wrenching in the outdoors mood, we dont even usually go camping till may long.. and even then its %$#ing cold out. lol! Good ol'Canada
I hear that. We went camping when our youngest was about 9 months old (oh man, that was like 22 years ago, I just realized just how old I am getting). Friday night was beautiful, woke up Sat morning underneath 6 inches of snow. We just cleaned off the cooking area, made breakfast and finished camping for the weekend in the snow. Got to love northern Alberta!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh most definitely in the mood for camping now that it's started to warm up. Took all my camping gear out of the box last month and did a quick inventory. Still need to pick up a few things and get some mods done to the rig but other than that its a go. Hoping to take my new lady out this weekend to a remote spot for some fishing and camping. She's an out door nut so I shouldn't have a hard time convincing her. If I can get her to keep her clothes on for some of the time I'll take some pictures and post up a "first camping trip" report and let ya'll know how my new goodies worked out.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM

definatly time for spring cleaning and gettin gear together.
thinking about one more trip to the mountain first.
then spring/summer can commence
Old 06-06-2011, 03:27 AM

When the snow finished, the rain started. This past weekend was the nicest weekend we have had, and we still managed severe thunderstorms overnight.

Yes, I am looking forward to getting out and going camping.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I've been camping through all of "winter."
Seasons mean nothing to me.

Bigbear/ Johnson valley in early october
Moab over thanksgiving.
KOH in early February.
AZ in late march.

Quick Reply: How many are getting in the camping mood now that winter is over?