Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

4.3 in a 90 with trans and t-case from an 80

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.3 in a 90 with trans and t-case from an 80

ive got a 90 ext cab with the 22re that is gutless.im debating on throwing a older 4.3 vortec i motor in it.the trans and t-case i will be using are out of a 80 4x4 pickup.my biggest thing will be $ and ease of installation being how im broke and not a mechanic.i know theres alot of threads on this but i figured id ask instead of reading for hours to find half an answer.thanks guys!!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brino1
ive got a 90 ext cab with the 22re that is gutless.im debating on throwing a older 4.3 vortec i motor in it.the trans and t-case i will be using are out of a 80 4x4 pickup.my biggest thing will be $ and ease of installation being how im broke and not a mechanic.i know theres alot of threads on this but i figured id ask instead of reading for hours to find half an answer.thanks guys!!
This swap done on the tightest budget you can think of, doing all the work yourself (A good, not cutting corners) is still going to cost you at least $1500 and that's if you get amazing deals on parts etc.

Having someone else do it, you might be looking at $3000+.

My advice to you is this...

You say your not a mechanic, but none of us were until we started turning a wrench. The day that I considered myself a good mechanic was the day that I finished my first SR20DET rebuild and swap into my 1989 240sx. In retrospect, it was ridiculously easy, but back then it was daunting since the most I had ever done previous to the rebuild and install was change a starter and oil change / tune ups....

If this is your daily, I advise against it all together unless you don't need to be anywhere for at least a week. From what I am experiencing it will be more like 2 weeks for me (and I'm not a novice).

I honestly think everyone should do their own swap, it allows you to not only have something invested in it (other than money) but increases your awareness of the truck and the work that has been done to it.

As for the comment about reading for hours...

No offense, but that's the worst thing you could have said. Not only does it make you look lazy, but it makes you look ungrateful in the fact that all of the other pioneering swappers took the time to type and share the information with everyone.

Be part of the community, not a burden to it.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:01 PM

i dont mean any disrespect by that comment.i spent 30 mins reading up on it and found out a little about it.but im looking for someone who has done the same mods with the same parts.i dont know what trans the 80 has in it.all i know is its a 5 speed.im not even sure if it can be done.for any one in here that has done this,a posted link will be greatly appreciated.ive got a shop i can do the work at with all the tools ill need.and $1500 over a 3 month time frame isnt bad and i plan on doing all of the work,minus the welding myself
Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 PM

i dont mean any disrespect by that comment.i spent 30 mins reading up on it and found out a little about it.but im looking for someone who has done the same mods with the same parts.i dont know what trans the 80 has in it.all i know is its a 5 speed.im not even sure if it can be done.for any one in here that has done this,a posted link will be greatly appreciated.ive got a shop i can do the work at with all the tools ill need.and $1500 over a 3 month time frame isnt bad and i plan on doing all of the work,minus the welding myself
$1500 was doing it yourself. Unless the shop is doing it for free, I doubt that's what it's going to cost you. If your saying they (the shop) will allow you to use their shop, that's dope, jump on that and learn as much as you can!

As for the 5speed swap, it can be done but if I'm not mistaken the only GM manual that Advance adapters makes for the swap is for the NV4500 (Manual trans out of a full size GM truck). I'm not aware of any NV3500 manual trans adapters (S10 Blazers, S10's Sonoma's, Isuzu Hombre's). The issue has something to do with splines to the Yota T-Case according to Warren @ Advance Adpaters (Someone I have spent extensive time on the phone with in the last few weeks).

My personal opinion, go with the Toyota R150F or R151F transmission and get this adapter (It's the cheapest route and from what I'm told it's a stout enough trans to hold up to the 4.3) probably already in your truck, which cuts down on costs as well. If you have the G52,G54,G85 or W56 trans use this adapter...

Last edited by Vudujoose; 05-13-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:39 AM

its gm motor to toyota 5 speed trans and t-case.and its my dads shops
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 AM

its gm motor to toyota 5 speed trans and t-case.and its my dads shops

Depends on the tranny, 1980 seems like the only adapters are made for the H41 / H41F and H42 / H42F transmissions out of the landcruiser.

Good luck man.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM

changing plans.friend of mine has a 5 speed yota trans with dual cases,he throwin in all the hydraulics,clutch and flywheel AND the special bellhousing for the 4.3.he wants $800 for it.and i found a 4.3 vortec out of a 95 blazer with 40,000 miles on it for $550.the sas conversion is gonna have to wait.will this motor work with the ifs??
Old 05-15-2012, 05:41 PM

changing plans.friend of mine has a 5 speed yota trans with dual cases,he throwin in all the hydraulics,clutch and flywheel AND the special bellhousing for the 4.3.he wants $800 for it.and i found a 4.3 vortec out of a 95 blazer with 40,000 miles on it for $550.the sas conversion is gonna have to wait.will this motor work with the ifs??

Click here....
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM

i know how to search...its a simple question,if you dont have an answer for it dont put anything
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 PM

i know how to search...its a simple question,if you dont have an answer for it dont put anything

Your lucky anyone has responded at all (Only me and I was trying to be nice about it until now...)

Your lazy, so Im going to be too. There are many threads that cover this information, but you won't find it. If your not willing to find the information yourself, you are likely not motivated enough nor skilled enough to do the swap, so answering a question from you is like trying to solve a math problem by chewing bubble gum (useless)...

Good luck with the swap...
Old 05-15-2012, 06:58 PM

i read through a whole ˟˟˟˟ing page of posts and didnt find my answer.i actually found it on another site.id rather ask questions and get answers then look through hours of other posts and not find out what i need to know.measure twice cut once,right?the only way ill know 100% is by asking questions.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:50 PM

i read through a whole ˟˟˟˟ing page of posts and didnt find my answer.i actually found it on another site.id rather ask questions and get answers then look through hours of other posts and not find out what i need to know.measure twice cut once,right?the only way ill know 100% is by asking questions.
You should work on your reading comprehension, I found the answer to your question in the first page of results searching "IFS" in this forum. And for what it's worth, YES you can put a 4.3 in an IFS truck, friend of mine just sold one set up that way.

People like to help those who want to help themselves, not those who wish to be spoonfed. Your attitude isn't going to make anyone want to answer your questions.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Thanks guy.but not really...