All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

V8 engine swap for CA smog and referee?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V8 engine swap for CA smog and referee?

passed

Last edited by tyes; 04-30-2020 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
RMA has completed several swaps and lives around where your at. Look his builds up and see what he has done. I remember him saying he has had his rig smoged and passed just fine.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2011, 11:29 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
heres one , this ones legal here in California..
good luck !!
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f161...0-3vze-185324/
Old 05-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

sorry to revive an old thread

I don't know how true this is but, I spoke with the DMV today and was told by the rep who had just performed an engine swap that california doesn't require you to register the swap with them, all you need to do is pass smog....
Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM

nope not true you have to go through a reffing station to have your motor swap inspected and than they update your vin with the current motor your running and it has to pass ca smog
Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another question on engine swaps in California .. I have a 1990 Toyota Pickup and according to the DMV, the guidelines are that

#1 "the engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle."

#2 "Also, the engine must be from the same type of vehicle based on the vehicle's gross weight. For example, you can't put an engine for a heavy duty truck in a passenger car, or vice versa"

For #2, Now, if I want to swap a 1990 Supra 7MGTE engine or Lexus v8 in my truck .. isnt it violating the fact that im swapping a car engine in a truck. and the class of vehicle isnt the same?

For #1, how does the referee know the engine year? ECU or some other way. If I buy the engine from a shop ... for example 7MGTE which was offered from 86 to 92. Based on the rule, I need engine from 90-92 only.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by hgill
Another question on engine swaps in California .. I have a 1990 Toyota Pickup and according to the DMV, the guidelines are that

#1 "the engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle."
That is correct, the engine MUST be the same, or newer

#2 "Also, the engine must be from the same type of vehicle based on the vehicle's gross weight. For example, you can't put an engine for a heavy duty truck in a passenger car, or vice versa"
Not true. you can put ANY engine in a california vehicle as long as it runs at factory specs. It obviously needs to be a normal passenger vehicle though. ( as in, you cant have the engine popping out of the hood excessively )

For #2, Now, if I want to swap a 1990 Supra 7MGTE engine or Lexus v8 in my truck .. isnt it violating the fact that im swapping a car engine in a truck. and the class of vehicle isnt the same?
Like i said above, you can swap any engine into a california vehicle. people do 7m, lexus v8, 2jz, 289, 302, chevy 4.3, chevy 5.3 swaps all the time

For #1, how does the referee know the engine year? ECU or some other way. If I buy the engine from a shop ... for example 7MGTE which was offered from 86 to 92. Based on the rule, I need engine from 90-92 only.
Very good question, I asked a ref the same question. Every engine, and ECU has a code on it that gives the year. if you're going to try and be sly about using an earlier motor than 90. you're going to be wasting your time. do it right, get a 90, 91, or 92.

Thanks.
Read the red above ^^
Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 PM

Thanks MaK92-4RnR. So, I cant just buy an engine off a website or craigslist and swap it in ... ugggh.... Anyways, Im planning a swap few years from now .. hopefully 1990+ supra's get cheap by then ... right now on craigslist... they are a lil expensive.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Also, with California swaps; we aren't allowed to use bell housing adapters. So if you have a 1uz and want to use a R150 manual trans from the 2nd gens. It won't pass. Plus the 1uz only came in automatic, so you have to use an auto trans.. Basically, if you have a 94 4Runner with a 1uz swap and smog it. The smog station needs to see the truck as a 95 SC400 or whatever.. ECU and all.

Yay for California. Another pointless law that our politicians put into place. As long as a vehicles emissions fall under a specified limit, who gives a crap about what you do to the engine/powertrain?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM

Are you absolutely positive about the bell housing adapter thing? Or is it more because the transmission is run off the ECU and will throw codes? I would think that if the latter is the reason, then just tricking the ECU would be all that is required. I know OBDII cars have an automatic fail if the ECU is throwing a transmission code. The SC400s have stand alone engine ECUs in the first 3 years of manufacture.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:08 AM

I spoke with a referee a few weeks ago, curious about doing the 1UZ swap into my 2nd gen... I specifically asked about the bell housing adapters and he told me it was a no go... Anything that isn't California approved/CARB legal/ or an original part, is not allowed. It could be a ECU thing, but I don't know.. Maybe it depends on the referee too. But, if the referee knows what he/she is looking at, then there's still a chance they could fail it. If you do an OBDII swap, it's even more of a pain in the butt...

What do you mean exactly by the first three years having a stand alone ECU?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Motorheadno13
I spoke with a referee a few weeks ago, curious about doing the 1UZ swap into my 2nd gen... I specifically asked about the bell housing adapters and he told me it was a no go... Anything that isn't California approved/CARB legal/ or an original part, is not allowed. It could be a ECU thing, but I don't know.. Maybe it depends on the referee too. But, if the referee knows what he/she is looking at, then there's still a chance they could fail it. If you do an OBDII swap, it's even more of a pain in the butt...

What do you mean exactly by the first three years having a stand alone ECU?

Interesting that an adapter would be a red flag. Would dual cases be a red flag?

I think the SC400's first few years had an ECU that was not tied to the transmission and a separate TCU was used.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe spiyard will chime in with his experience on his 3.4 swap:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...eferee-251831/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...d-help-250129/
Old 04-14-2012, 03:04 PM

What I was told by the referee, Was that you had to use the transmission that came with your new engine.They don't care about the transfer case.Also any and all smog devices must be installed and the check engine light had to work with the new computer.I just finished installing a 20003 astro van 4.3 in my truck the trans was a 4l60ewith a dual case behind it. It passed the smog and the referee and now smogs as 2003 astro van
Old 07-07-2012, 10:36 AM

Can anyone explain why CA law states the transmission has to be the same as what came with the engine? I'm having a tough time trying to justify it. Truthfully, it sounds as stupid as that lady who tried to ban barrel shrouds in CA, while not knowing what a barrel shroud was. The best land in the country with the worst people in charge IMO.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Motorheadno13
Can anyone explain why CA law states the transmission has to be the same as what came with the engine? I'm having a tough time trying to justify it. Truthfully, it sounds as stupid as that lady who tried to ban barrel shrouds in CA, while not knowing what a barrel shroud was. The best land in the country with the worst people in charge IMO.
I don't know for sure but I believe it is because the transmission that came with the engine was thoroughly tested by the manufacturer to get the best possible fuel economy.

I had a buddy with a 2006 Cadillac STS that would throw a code saying that the lock up torque converter in the transmission was malfunctioning and it wouldn't pass emissions due to this, because they said it hurt the vehicles fuel economy, even though the car ran and drove fine. Cost him a couple grand to fix.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:17 PM

what the ref means is that if the donor vehicle offered an auto as the only trans option than you have to run the auto but if its offered with both than you can run either mine passed the ref and i have a 92 4.3 mated to my stock r150 toyota trans mated to duals
Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by bigarms23
what the ref means is that if the donor vehicle offered an auto as the only trans option than you have to run the auto but if its offered with both than you can run either mine passed the ref and i have a 92 4.3 mated to my stock r150 toyota trans mated to duals
There is no justification behind that since the California Code of Regulations and the Bureau of Automotive regulations state nothing about the power-train. They strictly talk about emission systems. I don't see how a transmission swap effects "emissions."
Old 08-22-2012, 09:23 PM

I think we are over thinking all of this.

I know my truck is a 97 and OBD II. So that means I should have to use an engine from a 97 or higher vehicle if I am going to do the swap. However, if I want a 1uzfe, then I have one vehicle I can choose from if I want to do things the most simple way possible. I don't want to mess with VVTI so the 97+ SC400 is out. That leaves only the LS400 from a 97, of which half of the year was the non-VVTI motor. So I have an incredibly limited selection to choose from.

So that has me thinking: All I have read is that you must have the same year engine or newer in the vehicle at the time of going to the ref. No mention about transmission, but no transmission codes. Fair enough. Manual guys can just build a resistor block of some variety to trick the computer into thinking the auto is there.

But, if there is phsyically no difference between the 96 & 97 LS400 & 96 SC400, I think I can stick one of those motors in my 97 4Runner and pass the ref's test. I did hear that OBDII transmits the vehicle's year to the ref/scanner so it would be wise in my position to use a 97 computer.

All over my 97 are indicators that it was made in 96 and has 96 parts in it. What if my 97 used a 96 engine as it sits in my driveway? Is California going to send me to prison and fine my ass? No, not at all. The computer is the thing telling the OBDII port that I have a 97.

My guess is that if the computer shows 97 and the rest of my truck is 96 but with all smog equipment on it...I will pass with flying colors.

If it is going to be super difficult, I am just going to get a Chevy 4.8 and be done with it. I hate this place sometimes.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick question : I have a 90' 4runner that started life with the 3.0 V6 , it now has the 22re in it .

I have been reading that I need to take it to a BAR ref because of the engine swap . But if I just take it to get smogged , how does the smog tech know that it has a different engine in it ?

Quick Reply: V8 engine swap for CA smog and referee?