All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

New 3VZE Going in...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 3VZE Going in...

Well tomorrow I start the process of installing a reman long block in my 'new' 1990 4Runner SR5

The previous owner was kind enough to remove the previous motor so I have nothing to go by other than pictures I find on here... And I'm a converted chevy guy...

I've got the long block next to the pulled motor so i know what i need to swap and where it goes.
I picked up a new clutch and flywheel...
I picked up a new set of plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil, filter, fuel filter, oil filter (2), timing belt idler set, complete gasket set, timing belt, and some other stuff...

I'll do my best to take pictures along the way, and I'm sure i will be on here several times asking you guy's where the heck 'this' part plugs into...

I got the FSM manual all printed out (WOW)...
Touque wrench is ready, tools are poliched, compressor is compressing, lights are bright, and the beer is cold...

Here we go!!!

1 - Anyone know where to get a "shifter bushing" to re-firm up the shifter?

2 - Should I swap in a new front seal on the 5-speed? Anyone got a part number? I figure I'm doing the clutch so... It's not leaking that i can see... but I havent driven it either...
Old 11-25-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Marlin Crawler has the shifter bushings and probably the trans seal. I'd put a new one in. The dealer will have the seal too. Here is a site that has the part numbers: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_198...MDEA_3302.html
Old 11-26-2009, 12:51 AM

So i have a few questions...

1st -
The CAM Gears were a BITCH to get off...
I test fit the cam gears onto the new long block... Pulled the little pin out of the old motors camshaft, and stuck it into the end of the camshaft, put the cam gear on, tightened it up (snug, not tourqued) and it seems loose... I dont mean loose cause i havent tightened it to spec, i mean it has a 1/2 tooth slop, like the dowel isnt big enough... both sides seem this way...

2nd -
When i took my power steering pump of the bad motor, it fell to the floor and some spring popped out the side, along with a machined downel with discs on it... probably another part that has shot acrost the garage into the pile of crap in the corner... Anyone know what this part is, or what I'm missing/broke?

3rd -
What is this part?
It is on pass side, rear of the motor, it 'had' a small metal tube comignout of it, and somethign was broken off... itr was all bent up... and, well... destroyed now...

4th -
What Sensor is this, the broken one?

It's 1:50... I'm off to bed, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Tomorrow i get to figure out the crank bolt...

And how to I get the Cam gears back to their tourque specs? is there a proper way to lock them in place so they dont move?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by bugs1961
Marlin Crawler has the shifter bushings and probably the trans seal. I'd put a new one in. The dealer will have the seal too. Here is a site that has the part numbers: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_198...MDEA_3302.html

Great site, thanks!
Old 11-26-2009, 12:54 AM

What bolts should I be putting lock-tite on when re-assembling (Blue lock-tite)??

Any bolts that need RTV on them?

Do i need to put RTV on the water pump gasket, or just use the gasket?
edit - found a solution - https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cement-183312/

Last edited by RetchedOne; 11-26-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:01 AM

One more -

On the old motor, the cam gears were installed differently, or opposite... The pass side had the cam gear facing with the 'lip' inward (towards motor) and the drivers side cam had the lip on the cam gear facing forwards (towards radiator)...

Is that corect?
Old 11-26-2009, 01:11 AM

Figured out my PS Pump question...

Looks like i need to look around the garage a little for the missing part...

I'm missing the pressure port union...
There's no way it fell out... unless a part i took off was holding the spring and flow Control Vavle in...?