All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1JZ GTE VVT-i into 22R 84 Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 06:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
with that fuel pump my only concern is to whether or not its going to have to much fuel pressure the stock injectors and fuel regulator. Its hard to find what they can handle,but hopefully I will not need anther regulator o drop the pressure befoe it even its the motor.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:45 AM

Name:  20131005_101240.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  120.7 KBName:  20131005_101254.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  114.0 KB
I pulled the motor out cause I still had some work to do up front. If you'll notice on the firewall I pulled the clutch line off and the 2nd brake line that went to the rear brakes. The bracket that holds the Tee for the rear I did cut that off and weld the 90 in place of it. Very carefully I cut them both off with a cutoff wheel and with my heat way down I welded it back to the bracket. The front braes are tied in ready to go. For the rear I half to tie in a summit brake proportioning valve for the rear disc now and I will be plumbing in a line lock into my center consoule. Brake line will go down the frame then ill have 2 stainless flex lines going to and coming from the line lock. Once I get a double flare tool to do the line it'll in petty quick.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 AM

Name:  20130909_191450.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  82.9 KB
This is the Tee and 90 that use to feed the rear braes that I modiied
Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 AM

Name:  20131005_104847.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  108.3 KB
his is the Bracket I ordered from Low range offroad. I could of made the same identical thing. But the $50 or$60 was no where near worth me measuring it then laying it out in the program for the bends. Then having to run out to get the hardware for the shocks. All I half to do is cut it to length and weld it in between the frame rails above the rear axle
Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its looking good, especially the fuel setup is very nice. Is that the only pump it looks like its pulling it from the tank, so you shouldn't have a huge amount of extra pressure to deal with. the stock regulator should be able to do the job it keeps it around 40 psi. If your pump is moving too much you can use a fuel pump resistor to lower it some or go aftermarket regulator with a larger line. most likely you would see it rich at idle if the return is too small.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Damn, looking good!
I have a question that I haven't seen addressed yet and wondered if you (or somone else on here) had the answer.

I see that the 1UZ swap guys swap out the trac control throttle bodies for non trac ones for the same engine (or get the engine without trac). I'm looking to do a vvti 2jzgte but have concerns about dealing with the trac control and noticed your 1jz has it. Your plas for dealing with it? Is it a non issue and I'm worried for nothing? I plan on keeping the auto trans and keeping the engine managment stock ecu with maybe some bpu upgrades to the engine and don't want to run into a huge issue where no trac control signal is messing with the throttle or always throwing a code or something. Sorry for the jack. Thanks for all the info, makes me MORE anxious to get to my project.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 AM

shouldn't be a huge problem, the throttle plate for the trac is normally open and gets closed when its activated, so if its not working or you pull the relay for it, it will stay in the open position.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Sounds easy enough to me. I didn't want to commit to this engine only to find that I was screwed by the trac. I just wonder why the 1UZ guys seem to usually swap for non trac TB's if it's pretty much a non issue?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 AM

cause if the non-trac bolts up then that is the cleanest way to delete the trac completely.
you know now I am not even sure if the gte vvti ones have a seperate throttle plate for the trac since it is a Drive by wire system, meaning its electronically controlled, so it all may just be one throttle plate.
you should be able to get it to work or delete it by using another throttle body, even if it is a little bit more custom but the drive by wire on the vvti's do complicate things.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:32 PM

8784 runner
I know you said you are getting your clutch flywheel slave and whatnot from clutchmasters...

what clutch exactly?
I'm been scouring the supra forums and it looks like even for the 2jz guys like me you have to use a 1jz flywheel clutch slave when you use the 1jz r154 bellhousing. which makes sense..
any specific flywheel or just the basic 8bolt 1jz one...

i'm starting my swap in 2.5 weeks... and I'll have 3 weeks to do it ha.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:34 PM

also have you figured out any of your intercooler stuff?
Old 11-26-2013, 12:46 AM

Ha! I wish you luck in completing your swap in the timeline you stated. Mine would of been possible if I hadn't let spiral out of control.
As far as the clutch since I have a bunch of small misc items to order from Driftmotion I was just gonna get everything from them. I'm just gonna use the stock 1j flywheel, could use the lightweight but I'd rather start off stock with the motor and then from their worry about what I think I what for it. The clutch I booked I believe was a stage 3 clutch for a 86-92 non turbo supra. The Tacoma I mentioned earlier in the build I believe I posted a link to his photobucket album. He put a 2j in his Tacoma using the r154 bell housing and stock tranny which is what I based my build off of. Lol so I actually called the shop that was modifying his motor and asked them what clutch was being used in it. As for the inter cooler I'm goon be so tight on room no sence in even worrying about it till it comes time. I really do not think I'll have enough room up front and will end up having to build a hood scoop to try and make one work on top of the motor.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 8784 runner
Ha! I wish you luck in completing your swap in the timeline you stated. Mine would of been possible if I hadn't let spiral out of control.
Yeah, mine was going to look like yours, but lack of funds dictated that I'm only getting the 2jzgte in the car, get it running, and STOP!

I have one really big advantage though, my wifes family owns a big multi-lift auto business that I get to use, and I get help from the father in law who builds top alcohol dragsters. I'll post a link from here to my thread when I eventually start it. It sort of feels like I'm cheating, but I'll be posting all my info so other people can build off of it.
I'm just stuck not wanting to spend $1000 on flywheel and clutch parts. There has to be a cheaper way but no one seems to have a wrecked car I can piece out.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:24 PM

Haha I wish ther was a cheaper way but that's what it is. If I had done just the motor and tranny swap I def would of already been slinging mud at 7, 000rpm. But ill have it done for this riund of spring in a couple months...
You said car, what are you putting it in?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:51 PM

You said car, what are you putting it in?
Ah.

90 4runner 4x4 5speed.
I just about have everything I need, minus the belhousing, clutch, flywheel, etc. Found people who sell them online, some claim to be genuine toyota, and some from Thailand. Funny how they have the same picture for both ebay listings...
I'm holding out another week before buying to see if one pops up somewhere on the west coast.

Its more or less a surf/snowboard trip vehicle. It goes to Baja a lot to surf, and Oregon to snowboard. I just want to get there FASTER ha
Old 11-27-2013, 12:30 AM

Just making sure your aware. But you tranny won't be a direct bolt up. Well I take that back it will bolt up but the input shaft is to short on the stock that in your runner......lol yeah 2j should make light work on getting up the mountains compared to the 3.0
Old 11-27-2013, 02:57 PM

Just making sure your aware. But you tranny won't be a direct bolt up. Well I take that back it will bolt up but the input shaft is to short on the stock that in your runner......lol yeah 2j should make light work on getting up the mountains compared to the 3.0
Well it will be a direct bolt up with the r154 bell housing. I just need 1jz components. I guess they share pieces.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Yes the r154 bell housing will bolt to your tranny and motor. But the R 150f behind the 3.0 v6 that is in your runner has a shorter input shaft which will unable it from having a decent spline into the flywheel. The tranny that came behind the 3.4 5vz v6 has a longer input shaft. Theirs forums just on guys talking about tearing the two different transmission apart and swapping parts just to give it the longer input shaft. Not trying to be an ass but I'd hate to see your build come to a screeching halt over a unexpected mechanical glitch. Lol especially one that potentially could keep you from putting the motor in
Old 12-01-2013, 11:27 AM

Yes the r154 bell housing will bolt to your tranny and motor. But the R 150f behind the 3.0 v6 that is in your runner has a shorter input shaft which will unable it from having a decent spline into the flywheel. The tranny that came behind the 3.4 5vz v6 has a longer input shaft. Theirs forums just on guys talking about tearing the two different transmission apart and swapping parts just to give it the longer input shaft. Not trying to be an ass but I'd hate to see your build come to a screeching halt over a unexpected mechanical glitch. Lol especially one that potentially could keep you from putting the motor in
I think we covered this a few pages ago?
Yeah it will be about an inch short. I found that an AX15 input shaft is a direct fit (except for changing the pilot bearing) and the correct length, but then you have to use an ax15 disc which I do not want to use.
currently I am trying to source one of the newer r150 or a r154 input so I can still use a decent disc.

I'm sure this is already in this thread somewhere but....

With the motor fitment, did you set the motor and trans in and make new motor/trans mounts where it sat?
I was thinking about leaving the transmission where it is, and just moving the radiator forward to compensate for the extra length

EDIT: I'm using an AX15 shaft, with the r154 bell housing. 1jz flywheel and clutch components minus the ax15 disc.

Last edited by captainslow; 12-02-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: new info
Old 12-03-2013, 12:26 PM

swapping the inputs and all that stuff is very involved and not necessary unless its already done. The 1jz bellhousing is too long for the shorter r150f shaft.

that thailand bellhousing you are referring to is actually not a bad piece, its seems to be a well built custom piece they make specifically for your swap, to use a shorter R150 input shaft transmission and bolt it up to a 2jz. because they make it shorter, there is no swapping shafts, no cutting bellhousings. sure its not a 100% toyota part, but its cast exactly like one with more cooling fins, I would just order one of these and bolt it up.

That is why they have 2 listings, one for the R150, and one for the R154.
The R154 is the longer version which is essentially just a normal 1jz bellhousing.
Notice also they have different slave cylinder arrangements, the one for the R150 is probably the same style as on the trucks whereas the 1jz r154 one is set up like the supra's.
Confirm with them about the R150 bell being shorter but from the pictures and separate listings it appears it is, they are 2 completely different bellhousings and the custom R150 one is what could make your stock v6 5 spd trans a bolt on affair similar to the stock bell setup.

R150 http://www.ebay.com/itm/1jz-gte-2jz-gte-toyota-Supra-Bellhousing-r150-FREE-SHIP-/281201945323?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4178f12aeb&vxp=mtr
R154 http://www.ebay.com/itm/1jz-gte-2jz-gte-toyota-Supra-Bellhousing-r154-FREE-SHIP-/271330776450?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2c931582&vxp=mtr
you could start combining parts from various transmissions, but when they make a bellhousing the right length already... doesn't make that much sense to do that anymore not all DIYers can tear it down and put back together a working trans.
you can also use a later version r150 with the longer shaft and 1jz bell, but the transfer case is drivers drop so you will need an adapter at the least.

Last edited by 85Hilux; 12-03-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 1JZ GTE VVT-i into 22R 84 Runner