3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Megasquirt on a 3.4 conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megasquirt on a 3.4 conversion?

Any tired using the mega squirt ecm on one of these swaps? I really want to find another 95 4runner with a blown 3slow and swap in a 3.4. I am also planning on doing a megasquirt conversion on my wife's 66 mustang. I found this and am interested. I kind of like the idea of being able to tune the ecm myself. Would be really cool to do a supercharger and really get the most out of it. Thoughts?

-Dave
Old 11-29-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked into using megasquirt for when I turbo my truck but I don't think I will use it, after talking with the guys at turbotechnologies who tunes for a living, he encouraged something already set up and ready to go. If you are SC'ing, I don't think you need much more than what URD has to offer with their FTC piggyback unit, everyone including myself have great results and full power with it on the 3.4 supercharger

to caveat that however, it is pretty cool to truly build a fully custom tuneable unit and there are tons of people on their (megasquirt) online forums who have lots of experience, sounds like you already know a bunch about them, I say go for it! it will be much more work than the FTC unit but if you're willing to do it, would be interesting to see how she stacks up against it in terms of power/results.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:50 PM

I have a standalone F.A.S.T. EFI on my 86 turbo truck/money pit, and we have some 22RTE/MegaSquirt owners on our 22rte-trucks.com forums. So while I don't have any direct personal experience with MegaSquirt, I do have some related experience.

The bottom line is that standalone EFI systems are fantastic if a) the stock EFI is horrible (such as is the case with the 22RTE), b) you are attempting to make > 50% more power than stock, and c) you don't have any smog laws to deal with, or your local smog laws permit standalone EFI.

For the 5VZE, the stock EFI is actually pretty good, and with the URD pieces it is very capable for adding 70+ rwhp to the stock EFI via a supercharger (I think the 7th injector kit managed by the MAPECU2 is the better option, but the 6 bigger injectors + FTC also works fine). If you were looking to double the stock power output, well, then you'd be in territory the stock ECU could not manage effectively. Unless you are adding a custom turbo setup or centrifugal supercharger, this seems unlikely.

Finally, just to state the obvious, the learning curve for setting up and tuning a standalone EFI is steep and has plenty of sharp edges. Don't go down this path if your rig is a daily driver and your only means of getting to work, as it may leave you stranded at the worst possible time.

My 2 cents,

Jeff

Last edited by mosk; 11-29-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 AM

agreed on all those points^^ I will be doing some major homework for when I start my turbo project on the taco, looking to go for about 350 rwhp which is over 2x stock hp.

The 7th injector/FTC usually works better for most folks, the 6 injectors has lots of potential also with the methanol especially. URD's kits are great for the TRD SC along with the stock ECU... haven't seen anyone put a procharger on a 5vz yet, thought about that but lots of good results with turbochargers.

I have enough trouble tuning with my setup now, I'm not ready to tackle anything more complex right now!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:24 PM

how are you planning on running a turbo? like the S.T.S turbo kits? or dual turbo? You have me thinking about a turbo now... ugh..
Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by hamish_18
how are you planning on running a turbo? like the S.T.S turbo kits? or dual turbo? You have me thinking about a turbo now... ugh..
nooooo! I despise the STS turbos, they are dumb and only produce maybe what I have already with the SC at best. I'm looking at the shop that did my tune to make me a set of custom exhaust manifolds and have a single turbo (probably the usual T3/T4 or similar) blown by all 6 cyl... probably make my own intercooler also... then the SC and headers are going in my 4runner after the 3.4 swap!

This may take some time (I mean, $$$$.....) but the 4runner will be getting a new engine and drivetrain this summer. the turbo is for probably next winter at the earliest unless I suddenly get rich.

I'm actually still considering building an 800hp monster dual turbo but I don't feel like spending $75k in drivetrain and components so probably will stick with a single blower on this build up. I still have LOTS of homework and research to do before I start buying any components... I want to keep my stock transmission, it is SMOOOOOOTH as can be...