3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

MaK92-4RnR's 3.4 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:58 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Lol not at all. I thought the 3vz would be alot more friendlier to me by doing headers... I love how the truck sounds, but sound isn't everything if it doesn't run right. the 3.4 will do me alot better. Better numbers ( torque, ponies, and MPGs ) I'm not gonna go all out with the 5vz. gonna run the TOS Crossover, into my stock downpipe and then into a cat. I'll use the same muffler thats on my truck now for the cat back.
just so you know... the exhuast will sound louder and meaner. its the same system, but know your 3.4 wil be pushing more through it. Same thing happened to me when i did my swap.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Whats your plan for the 4.88's?

5vz, 33's and 4.88's might rev a little high for you on the freeway.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by vital22re
just so you know... the exhuast will sound louder and meaner. its the same system, but know your 3.4 wil be pushing more through it. Same thing happened to me when i did my swap.
Yeah, I know whatcha mean. But i'm gonna completely redo the exhaust for the 3.4. I'm gonna use the stock crossover ( modified to the driver side ) with a 3.4 down pipe, into a stock catalytic converter, and then into my stock 1992 toyota 4runner exhaust. I want it to have low emissions for the inspection. I know i might be over doing it, but i want to be sure, and it never hurts to plan ahead.

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Whats your plan for the 4.88's?

5vz, 33's and 4.88's might rev a little high for you on the freeway.
I've been considering going to a 34" tire. but who knows. I think I might keep the 33's and 4.88s package.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:39 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
[QUOTE=MaK92-4RnR;51568347]Yeah, I know whatcha mean. But i'm gonna completely redo the exhaust for the 3.4. I'm gonna use the stock crossover ( modified to the driver side ) with a 3.4 down pipe, into a stock catalytic converter, and then into my stock 1992 toyota 4runner exhaust. I want it to have low emissions for the inspection. I know i might be over doing it, but i want to be sure, and it never hurts to plan ahead.

It should remain "factory" all the way to the cat. after that as long as your muffler is there it won't matter what kind of muffler
Old 10-08-2010, 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=vital22re;51568476]
Yeah, I know whatcha mean. But i'm gonna completely redo the exhaust for the 3.4. I'm gonna use the stock crossover ( modified to the driver side ) with a 3.4 down pipe, into a stock catalytic converter, and then into my stock 1992 toyota 4runner exhaust. I want it to have low emissions for the inspection. I know i might be over doing it, but i want to be sure, and it never hurts to plan ahead.

It should remain "factory" all the way to the cat. after that as long as your muffler is there it won't matter what kind of muffler
yeah i know, but I still have my factory cat back, so no harm in throwing it on. I dont want them to have any excuse to not pass it.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:59 PM

Updated
Old 10-10-2010, 05:21 PM

So, I decided that I'm backing out of the body lift... Just a small update, i'll be returning it tomorrow, and putting the money towards my clutch
Old 10-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hood scoop?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
Hood scoop?
I'm honestly considering it, but for now, I'm gonna cut the hood supports and run it that way. I might consider the hood scoop when it comes around to getting it painted. but for now, my focus is getting the motor in.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 PM

I'm honestly considering it, but for now, I'm gonna cut the hood supports and run it that way. I might consider the hood scoop when it comes around to getting it painted. but for now, my focus is getting the motor in.
I don't think I've ever come across anyone that was able to run the 5VZ without a body lift or hood scoop (hole in hood). Just cutting the supports most likely isn't going to do it. Mine would have worked with a 1", but I'm not a fan of them and decided to go the hood scoop way.

Here are the results.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theMonch
I don't think I've ever come across anyone that was able to run the 5VZ without a body lift or hood scoop (hole in hood). Just cutting the supports most likely isn't going to do it. Mine would have worked with a 1", but I'm not a fan of them and decided to go the hood scoop way.

Here are the results.

x2

Also, if your exhaust dumps on the driver side you wont pass. Like said before it must be stock to the cat. you will need the cat from your donor vehicle or youre not going to pass w/ the ref. just a heads up!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 AM

tons of people have done drops to the driver side and passed? not sure where you got your information from, but its physically impossible to do it correctly to the driver side since the gas tank is in the way.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM

tons of people have done drops to the driver side and passed? not sure where you got your information from, but its physically impossible to do it correctly to the driver side since the gas tank is in the way.

I got the info from Dntsdad and its not impossible... the exhaust would be routed just like your thorley header kit does. drops under the front driveline and back to the driver side.
I havnt read anyones thread from CA that has passed at the ref with a custom crossover... maybe you can correct me w a link.?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by calipatient
I got the info from Dntsdad and its not impossible... the exhaust would be routed just like your thorley header kit does. drops under the front driveline and back to the driver side.
I havnt read anyones thread from CA that has passed at the ref with a custom crossover... maybe you can correct me w a link.?
This is my plan for the exhaust. Custom crossover from ToS ( Toyota Only Swaps, They are a certified business located in oregon that has done thousands of swaps ) Which allows the stock down pipe to be used from the 3.4 that bolts directly into a 3.4 cat. ( using the downpipe allows for both of the O2s to be used as well ) which at that point, its completely stock. ( The crossover is a modified original cross over )

here is their website.

http://www.toyonlyswaps.com/

They have also done swaps without using a body lift, and without cutting a hole in the hood. ( see pictures. )
Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
not sure on what changed as i dont know what the rules were before but when i talked to the ref yesterday he said said that NOTHING can be changed to the rear O2 sensor. That really leaves me screwed with trying to stay manual.

Also, he did mention the Downey headers by name and even though they are EO approved, they will fail an inspection because they alter the OBD2 system. Every ref will be different I think from site to site and I am sure that some guys have passed with the Downeys. All I am saying is what he told me.

This guy knew his stuff as most of them have that I have talked regarding this swap. WHen I told him 3.4 into 92 10 seconds into our conversation he interuppted me and said "exhaust is going to kill you". He knew ORS, he knew the crossover flop, etc.

Maybe every ref is different... TOS like you said is located in Oregon. I hope it does work out for you, just think you should double check everything before you find yourself doing it over or end up w a trail rig only.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Yeah. I'll be very cautious with the exhaust system ( i'm even using the stock air intake ) nothing on this motor will have any modifications ( i will even be using a stock cat back from the 3.4 that has the tail pipe flipped to the passenger ) just to be 100%
Old 10-25-2010, 10:21 AM

This doesnt really apply to the ref thing but explains a way to route the exhaust, I found this on 4x4wire...

Exhaust
I decided to go with the Toyota factory exhaust from a 2002 3.4 vehicle. In year 2001 and later Toyota put factory tubular exhaust manifolds with matching tubular crossover on the 3.4 engine. The crossover actually has tubes in it that bring the exhaust over and dump it into the down pipe and not into the other manifold. So basically both sides of the engine exhaust remain separated until they dump into the exhaust down pipe. I kept the exhaust down pipe location the same as the stock 3.4. This meant it dropped down on the passenger side rather than on the driver side as the 3.0 does. Then I routed the pipe back to the driver side using 2.25” i.d. tubing to pick up the exhaust pipe just forward of the stock 3.0 cat O2 sensor location. I routed it under the drive shaft. It clears well and does not stick below the transmission mount/frame support. I stayed with the remaining exhaust system of 2.25” i.d. pipe, hi flow cat, and open Borla muffler as described below.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1
Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM

Something to keep in mind as well is that the Manual trans has a slave cylinder in the way on the passenger side. I can see a passenger side drop on the exhaust with an auto, but with a manual it's going to be tight. I have my 3.4 headers which are 2.5" dumping down both sides and I can tell you it is pretty tight on the passenger side.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by theMonch
Something to keep in mind as well is that the Manual trans has a slave cylinder in the way on the passenger side. I can see a passenger side drop on the exhaust with an auto, but with a manual it's going to be tight. I have my 3.4 headers which are 2.5" dumping down both sides and I can tell you it is pretty tight on the passenger side.
Yes, theres a thread on here somewhere, the lady just notched out a part of the flange to clear the slave cylinder arm, after that the rest cleared fine. (ill try and find the link) I tried doing my swap w/ 3.4 JBA headers and unfortunately they did not clear the fuel/brake lines on the passenger side, even if i had bent them out of the way on the driver side the flange rubbed on the steering column, had to go back to the stock crossover/manifolds in order to clear these things.