3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Lysmachia's CAB/Engine Swap for Tippy

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My expirience was the 3.0 alternator will not fit. Soon after my swap I had an unfortunate incident with a poorly installed battery tray (my bad!) and my battery killed my alternator. Having the 3.0 one laying around I did all I could to make it fit - - but with the tension side tab slightly different I could not get it to tension on the belt....

YMMV.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Post #42 in my thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...85/index2.html

The alternators will swap with some minor modifications. I also wanted to keep my upgraded 3.0 alt after I put in the 3.4.

I have had zero alternator problems since the swap.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey mol, progress looks like its comin along huh? sweet.
and elvota, didnt you used to be a mod? what happened?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
and elvota, didnt you used to be a mod? what happened?
Other priorities... but no hard feelings.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:34 AM

ha, you were demoted... lol.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

No it was more like a request for a temporary leave of absence... a sabbatical if you will...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
ha, you were demoted... lol.
Puhlease. He had to BEG to be demoted. SERIOUSLY! He was too busy to mod. We get that. But we'd like him back!

Originally Posted by aviator
No it was more like a request for a temporary leave of absence... a sabbatical if you will...
That's what I keep telling myself *wink*

OK for the record. My engine is a 2007 Auto from a 4runner. So I don't have to re-drill the oil dip-stick. But I do still have to tap the oil pan:

1) I have an oilpan for the swap. It is correct and from ORS

2) I do have to tap the last part. I have checked with buddies. I guess I need the 1/4" x 1/8th npt. Anyone in c-rado with that. If so great! If not We'll get if for all the c-rado swapp gang (MrDoug etc). Besides. We all know ~tc~ will have to do a swap next year. Yikes I hate saying that. Why you all think we are doing Tippy's now!

I was told to redo the waterpump and timing belt. OK. Waterpump on an engine at 137K? Timing belt I will do for sure

Gaskets. I was told to redo gaskets. But that is kinda vague...

Last edited by Lysmachia; 02-23-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

With regards to the oil dip stick tap: I do have to tap the last part. I have checked with buddies. I guess I need the 1/4" x 1/8th npt. Anyone in c-rado with that. (Brian TheFatKid???) Because none of us up north have it. If so great! If not We'll get if for all the c-rado swapp gang (MrDoug etc). Besides. We all know ~tc~ will have to do a swap next year. Yikes I hate saying that. Why you all think we are doing Tippy's now!

Once we tap that... I am gonna re-do timing belt. I guess I should to water-pump but at 87K I am not too worried. Thoughts/

Oh and Brian. I was told by Jacob (BoulderToyota) I gotta do ALL Gaskets. I feel like an idiot. ALL????
Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 PM

My engine is a 2007 Auto from a 4runner.
Do you mean 1997 auto?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neoworm0
Do you mean 1997 auto?
UM Yeah Cuz WHO THE HECK gets something as good as a 2007 auto? (with 87K to boot?)

My bad. Thanks BTW!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 PM

So uh.......................

You wanna help me with mine?

How is tippy doing?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
I guess I need the 1/4" x 1/8th npt.
that's 1/4" by 18 npt according to one of the docs on ORS site, but I'm wondering if that specific size/thread pitch is needed now. I see in Elvota's thread that he used a 10x1.5 mm tap. I'm thinking that if the end goal is to simply plug the hole, how you go about doing it (ie. which thread pitch) doesn't really matter as long as it plugs the hole and stays sealed. Anybody else have some input here?

And I think you meant 87k in the above post, not 187k...

Last edited by mrdoug; 02-24-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdoug
that's 1/4" by 18 npt according to one of the docs on ORS site, but I'm wondering if that specific size/thread pitch is needed now. I see in Elvota's thread that he used a 10x1.5 mm tap. I'm thinking that if the end goal is to simply plug the hole, how you go about doing it (ie. which thread pitch) doesn't really matter as long as it plugs the hole and stays sealed. Anybody else have some input here?
I agree, but that 1/4" NPT size did work good for me. I also like Mike's idea of plugging it from the top or on the outside of the oil pan so if it ever did back out and start leaking you could tighten it up without dropping the oil pan. I have a tap I'd loan you, but the shipping might be more that the cost of a new tap LOL.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Dale, what did you use to plug that hole after the dipstick is moved? Just a random bolt with some RTV and/or locktight? I'm trying to help Molly (and prep for my own swap). She ahs a pre 2000 block, so it already has a plug to be knocked out, I was trying to figure out if that plug is already threaded and get's put back in the other hole? or if it get's tossed and some other random bolt get's put back in it's place.

Taping and plugging it from the outside the block is kind of a given as that makes the most sense for re-sealing it in the future if there's a problem.

Last edited by mrdoug; 02-24-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 PM

Dale, what did you use to plug that hole after the dipstick is moved? Just a random bolt with some RTV and/or locktight? I'm trying to help Molly (and prep for my own swap). She ahs a pre 2000 block, so it already has a plug to be knocked out, I was trying to figure out if that plug is already threaded and get's put back in the other hole? or if it get's tossed and some other random bolt get's put back in it's place.

Taping and plugging it from the outside the block is kind of a given as that makes the most sense for re-sealing it in the future if there's a problem.
I used a random bolt and some FPG. I think it was a 12mmx20mm bolt. Might have been 10mm though. It worked really well and is sort of stock looking. Haven't had any problems with it yet.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike @ ORS sent me a plug with the tap in the swap kit. IIRC I did use some RTV.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-24-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info guys. MrDoug is helping me with my swap here and then Troy and I will be helping him with his swap maybe late summer? Mt_Goat and Elvota's write-ups have been invaluable for us!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I kept the original dipstick tube in, cut the length of the dipstick down and just left it installed. No tapping and using bolts that might back out, and it cost me $0.00.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 AM

Thats what i did too ukrunner.

Molly get this swap done you will love it!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Due to low $$ and no need for an extra rig (Tippy) this has taken forever. Sorry guys...

So I am working on the 3.4 on the engine stand that MrDoug so generously let us borrow.

I drained the oil and took off the oil pan. Then after talking to MrDoug, I threw the oil pan I had just removed back on, sealed extra hoses and degreased. Not that it did much. But hey I wanted to have it be better than it was.

Everything looks damned good on this engine. I am letting it dry then I will get the oil pan back off, and finish taking off the fan and the crank shaft pulley.

Troy got me the timing belt - gonna look at the idler and other pulleys when I get them off. At 77K I doubt they need replacement but we'll see.

Again the plan is to drop this into tippy Saturday so at least it is out of the way.

Quick Reply: Lysmachia's CAB/Engine Swap for Tippy