3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Lysmachia's CAB/Engine Swap for Tippy

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Isaac...y ou are probably the biggest reason we are getting into this mess aside from needing Tippy to run. LOL It's all about your learning expereince.
Well, I'm certainly happy for you. Sorry if I came off like I only wanted you to do it for my experience.

What I meant is that I was excited to come up and help. It'll be my first engine swap, and I think you'll have an awesome truck when its done.

Anyway, sorry if it sounded super selfish.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Well, I'm certainly happy for you. Sorry if I came off like I only wanted you to do it for my experience.

What I meant is that I was excited to come up and help. It'll be my first engine swap, and I think you'll have an awesome truck when its done.

Anyway, sorry if it sounded super selfish.
Man I gotta usde more smiley's LOL I WAS KIDDING!!! Goof Ball. Seriously we are very happy to have you help. It is just so much more fun to pin the size of this project on you!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

The 3Slow gome out of Tippy - The surgery starts!

So today out came the 3.0. I was shocked actually. All we had to do was have Tippy on a level surface and let the air out of her tires and we got it out!

A friend of Jacob (The Guy I initially bought Tippy from) needed a 3.0 for his dad's runner that just blew up. Since they knew I diagnosed my HG failure fast and didn't drive her (No milkshake engine oil) They felt good about pulling it and buying it. ( can hardly believe I spent $800 on my 3.4 and sold my 3.0 for $400. Essentially my 3.4 (With Harness and ecu cost me $400!)

Anyhow Jacob (A Toyota tech) and his buddy Did the hard part of undoing everything on the 3.0. Then we slid tippy down the driveway onto the flat pavement for the actual engine hoist part. I thought for sure we'd have to take the tires off and put the axle on block, (Like Elvota did) but letting the air out of the tires worked!!!

Of course we picked the right day! Yesterday was 70 degrees... today it is 20 and blowing with snow!

Hmm.... need a little more room!

With the air out it'll work!

Tippy feels all empty inside!

I always wondered what it felt like to be a Toyota engine! (I had to cover up the open ports)

And here is my new engine! Oye Veih. We have a lot of work to do!.

We figured out we can move tippy back up into the garage by putting a tire on Redrunner's bumper and pushing her up. (We could reconnect the battery for her winch but we're afraid with the way track homes are made we'd pull the kitchen into the garage with any kind of anchor we set).

So we'll do that in a bit when we are ready to begin the prep work. Meanwhile We will start on the wiring harness (Prolly gonna go with the ORS harness - I don't have the time - and time is money) and then hopefully have her up and running in a month or two. Thankfully we have a lot of resources like Brian another Toyota Tech who has done 4 of these swaps and is best friends with Mike at ORS. Brian is also going to maybe help me with my exhaust (I'll pay him of course if he'll take it.. LOL)

SO there you go! Step 2 complete! (Step 1 was to find a 3.4 and get it here).
Old 03-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cant wait to see tippy finished miss molly
Old 03-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Hey guys, do I have to get a new fan/clutch/pully or can I use the one from my 3.0? The reason I ask is cuz I had that replaced like 1.5 years ago and that assembly can be kind fo expensive if I remember....
Old 03-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The fan clutch is interchangeable. I have heard the 3.4 fan blades are preferred over the 3.0. They don't have that ring and tend to stay balanced better.

My 3.4 fan was broken, but my 3.0 clutch was old. So I have the 3.4 clutch with a 3.0 fan.

I think you are going to want your "new" 3.0 clutch with a 3.4 fan.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah that ring is a peice... I imagine I ccan get a 3.4 fan pretty cheap too...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

I take it you have to relocate the battery to the driver's side of the vehicle with the 3.4 switch. If this is the case "you don't need no stinkin' fabbed battery tray" everything from the 3.0 [right side] will relocate directly to the left side since that is where the 2nd battery for the diesel dual battery went on diesel powered Hilux/Surfs. If you look you will see that all the welded nut holes are there all you will have to do is re-wire the positive cable across front of the truck, the negative will just be connected on the drivers side or you can extend it back to the original location as well.
This is a good opportunity to up grade the cables as well if you have'nt already. I'd step up to at least a 2/0 this will give less resistance and much more available current for high draw items like winches and sound systems.

Last edited by aviator; 03-03-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Though I was told I needed a new battery and I have a brand new NAPA/Optima fakie... But it has side terminals. I think it will work!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used every piece from the 3.4 that I could. I used the fan and clutch, plus all the hoses that it came with. All I ended up doing was trimming some (lower and heater hoses). I'm not happy with my lower rad hose and will replace it soon.

Not sure if you've ever looked at Andy's 3.4 swap site. This is where I got most of my info. I also avoided buying anything from ORS. Not because they're not good. Because I'm cheap.

http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/48/
Old 03-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

OOOh thanks for the link RobD!!!

Last night we had a huge wrench-a-thon and while kidding around we stuffed 3 of us ladies in my engine bay

Since we have SO much stuff in our garage for the other projects that we did at the HOW (House of Wrenching) All my 3.4 parts are sitting in the back seat of tippy. Hey she isn't going anywhere anyway! LOL

I am hoping to have everything I need to do a H.O.W. - TEAM SWAP in April!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Ok back on the research. Do I really need a 2wd T100 oil pan? I wish I had taken a pick when the 3.0 was still in there so I could gauge clearance with my high steer better...

Elvota, I think you used your original oil pan - is that right? How's that working out for you?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ok back on the research. Do I really need a 2wd T100 oil pan? I wish I had taken a pick when the 3.0 was still in there so I could gauge clearance with my high steer better...

Elvota, I think you used your original oil pan - is that right? How's that working out for you?
The original will work just fine although the 2wd is definitely a recommended choice IMO It has great clearance were I could see the 3.0 lacking.

Sky sells the best kit

Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Molly, if you had acceptable clearance with your 3.0, then you can use the 3.0 oil pan and pick up tube - the bottom of the engine will have the exact same dimensions as the 3.0 did. So, if your 3.0 cleared the hi steer, then the 3.4 will, too (with the 3.0 oil pan).
Old 05-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by breknraj
Molly, if you had acceptable clearance with your 3.0, then you can use the 3.0 oil pan and pick up tube - the bottom of the engine will have the exact same dimensions as the 3.0 did. So, if your 3.0 cleared the hi steer, then the 3.4 will, too (with the 3.0 oil pan).
What he said.

I am having no issues with the 3.0 pan and the SAS. I'd just swap 'em and save some money.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elvota
What he said.

I am having no issues with the 3.0 pan and the SAS. I'd just swap 'em and save some money.
Yeah cuz Tippy is bleeding me dry! So any money saved is a good thing.... Though I must say, I hit my front bump stops often....

Thanks for the 411 guys!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Though I must say, I hit my front bump stops often....
I do as well... the basic answer is that if your current setup works fine with the 3.0, nothing will change with the 3.4.

This may be my imagination, but I feel like the front end got "heavier" after the 3.4 went in. I can bottom more easily on bumps, but that may just be the springs getting softer.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Well that and the 3.4 is heaver.....
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 AM

Hey Molly, look up TheFatKid for sorting the motor and performance. When you get to that point.

I used the T100 2WD pan but, whatever works! The blocks are externally the same 3.4 vs. 3.0. My swap was a little tougher and I had ORS do it. Superb work too. I was busy with building a house.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well that and the 3.4 is heaver.....
I always thought the 3.4 was lighter and put out more horses? Hmmm...

Quick Reply: Lysmachia's CAB/Engine Swap for Tippy