3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Igniter Pinout

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Igniter Pinout

Okay, it's been a few months since I've had my pile running. I can't find the source where I found the pinouts for the install. I'm looking to finish up my new dash install possibly tonight and need to hookup my tach. I remember calling out the wire on my igniter that I need to hook it up to during the swap but now I don't remember exactly which wire it is. Anyone know which one it is to pull to install and aftermarket tach?

Thanks,
Khris
Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 AM

Nevermind, let's make this a verification thread instead... correct me if I'm wrong but I think Pin 8 on the igniter is where I can splice into for tach signal... Correct?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
gonna take a shot in the dark since I have no clue which ignitor your talking about but any black wire on the ignitor should work.
HINT: tach wire comes off the neg coil signal.
HINT2: can also use the diagnostic port on the ignitor.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 AM

Oh, didn't realize there were different igniters... Donor is out of a '95 T100 2wd manual.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 AM

considering this is in the swap section, are you swapping a 22re onto a 22r, a 3.0 into a 22r, a 3.0 into a 22re, a 3.4 into a 22r etc etc. I don't know if they are different or not probably are but with no other info given I used the wire color for a 22r. But the tach signal should come off a neg coil signal.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 AM

I thought this was the 3.4L swap section so I assumed it was just known that I'd be talking about hooking up a tach to the 3.4L platform. My motor has 3 coilpacks. Truck started life as an '89 2wd with a 3.0. I'm not using the factory cluster though. Just need to hook up one wire from my autometer tach to the '95 3.4L I swapped in. The swap is done, I've been driving it. Just haven't had any gauges, I've been using my scanner off OBDii to monitor everything.

I just finished fitting my new carbon fiber dash last night. have it all cut and ready to drop the guages in. Everything is wired and ready to go with exception of the tach wire. When I did the swap I remembered that one of the pins on the igniter could be used to pull the tach signal. That was 5 months ago though and I just don't remember and was looking for verification. I think it's pin 8 but I don't totally remember...

Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 AM

hahah ooops sorry bout that, I guess it was, all I saw in the top was engine swaps, missed the 3.4 but anyway.......
Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Okay, now I'm a bit stumped... I'm leaning towards the tach being bad... See if you can follow this and what your thoughts are.

I wired up the power wire, ground and light wire. The tach clearly powers up. I initially hooked the wire to pin #8 on the igniter. Start it up and nothing. I look at my connection and I'd used one of those box type connectors that clips onto and existing wire and then right beside it clips the new wire down. It's almost like a mini Guillotine for wires you know. Well I noticed the ga. wire on the igniter was small enough that it looks like the connector didn't break the wire coating. So I pulled the connector back off and with a blade just exposed a bit of the bare wire and laid my tach wire across it loosely. started the truck and the needle bounced and twitched but it registered about a 1000 rpm and when i hit the gas it went up so I shut it off. I didn't have the tach set for 6cyl but it registered so I figured it was working and I'd set it for 6cyl after. So I cut the wire for the igniter harness and actually soldered the tach wire into place. Start the truck and NOTHING!!! WTF??? So I unsolder the connection and just solder the igniter harness back together. Then take my tach wire and touch it to it while it's running by hand. This time it's not just laying loosely... I had positioned the tach so I could see it while holding the connection and I'm getting nothing. I did notice though if I scrape the wire along the soldered connection the needle will bounce a bit like it's trying to register. Okay, so I've never had a solder connection not work and I've been doing a lot of soldering lately getting this new dash installed. Anyone have any ideas cause at this point I'm leaning towards a bad tach. The tach is used and I bought it off ebay years ago for this project. I've never verified that it worked so this could be the case. I'm going to hunt around here at work and see if possibly we have another tach laying around I can just use to test to make sure that it reads off that connection. If it does then I guess I would have to assume it is the tach...

Thoughts??? I'm stumped...