3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Ca. ECU Regulations

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ca. ECU Regulations

Doing a swap in nor cal. 95 4x4 5 spd, donor is an 01 4runner 4x4 auto. I learned after I bought the donor that they didn't make an 01 5 spd 4runner to snag the ecu out of. I was told an 03 or 04 Tacoma 5spd ecu will work but I don't know if the ref will fail it. I've looked everywhere for this info and haven't found any thing. If anyone knows if I can or cannot run that ecu and be smog legal or knows a link with the info I need, please help me out. I don't have a smog ref that is easy to get a hold of in town I've try calling him. Basically that hardest to get a hold of. Thank you in advance.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyVB
Doing a swap in nor cal. 95 4x4 5 spd, donor is an 01 4runner 4x4 auto. I learned after I bought the donor that they didn't make an 01 5 spd 4runner to snag the ecu out of. I was told an 03 or 04 Tacoma 5spd ecu will work but I don't know if the ref will fail it. I've looked everywhere for this info and haven't found any thing. If anyone knows if I can or cannot run that ecu and be smog legal or knows a link with the info I need, please help me out. I don't have a smog ref that is easy to get a hold of in town I've try calling him. Basically that hardest to get a hold of. Thank you in advance.
I highly doubt a Tacoma ECU will work with a 4Runner harness.

I'd suggest using the ECU that came with your donor. There is info all over the web on how to trick the auto ECU to not throw codes when running a 5speed.

Also, I don't believe a smog ref will actually look at exactly which ECU you have. I believe as long as the ECU will communicate with an OBD2 reader, and show that there aren't any faults, you will be fine.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use a Tacoma ECU for your swap, but then your swap will be smogged and inspected as the Tacoma the ECU came from.

For example, a 97 4Runner did not have any EGR equipment but a 97 Tacoma did, so if I were to use a 97 Tacoma ECU on my swap (which has a 97 4Runner motor) I would have to add the whole EGR system to my motor so that it matches a 97 Tacoma.

And, yes, the ref will in fact look at the part number on your ECU; that was the first thing he did on mine before starting it up and driving it around back for the closed door inspection.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by SacRunner
You can use a Tacoma ECU for your swap, but then your swap will be smogged and inspected as the Tacoma the ECU came from.

For example, a 97 4Runner did not have any EGR equipment but a 97 Tacoma did, so if I were to use a 97 Tacoma ECU on my swap (which has a 97 4Runner motor) I would have to add the whole EGR system to my motor so that it matches a 97 Tacoma.

And, yes, the ref will in fact look at the part number on your ECU; that was the first thing he did on mine before starting it up and driving it around back for the closed door inspection.
That's what my understanding was that if I use a tacoma ecu the emissions equipment must match the tacomas. I looked into that and neither the 01 4runner or the 03 and 04 tacomas had anything different with their emissions. Correct me if I'm wrong. No egr.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SacRunner

This is correct. Essentially, you are not smogging a motor and having that inspected. You are smogging an ECM. The ECM is what dictates what should be under the hood. Not the other way around. The motor isn't the brain, the ECM is. Smog ref will pull the part number off the ECM and check that and via the obd2, the ECM will report that it should have this and that. Then he goes and looks for this and that. He won't pull a number off the motor. I'm not even sure there are numbers on the motor. I'd assume there is but I've never seen one. Never looked though either.

I can't speak the motor and ECM you listed as I don't know enough about their particulars to be helpful.

Can't you go down a year rather than up?

Search eG-003-02 revised toyota readiness monitor drive patterns. I can't post it from my ipad but I know it's in my thread or search google. That will tell you want came with what but not particular ECM part numbers. From that you should be able to know what systems you had to run. Egr, evap,etc.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad

This is correct. Essentially, you are not smogging a motor and having that inspected. You are smogging an ECM. The ECM is what dictates what should be under the hood. Not the other way around. The motor isn't the brain, the ECM is. Smog ref will pull the part number off the ECM and check that and via the obd2, the ECM will report that it should have this and that. Then he goes and looks for this and that. He won't pull a number off the motor. I'm not even sure there are numbers on the motor. I'd assume there is but I've never seen one. Never looked though either.

I can't speak the motor and ECM you listed as I don't know enough about their particulars to be helpful.

Can't you go down a year rather than up?

Search eG-003-02 revised toyota readiness monitor drive patterns. I can't post it from my ipad but I know it's in my thread or search google. That will tell you want came with what but not particular ECM part numbers. From that you should be able to know what systems you had to run. Egr, evap,etc.
Talked to me local ref today. Not too much of a nice guy, anyways he said I can use my 03 or 04 Tacoma Ecu but everything that's in my donor 4runner must match what is in the 03 and 04 tacomas. Anyone know where I could find this info? The readiness codes only go to 02 not sure if that's a good or bad sign.