3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

98 T4R JDM Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 T4R JDM Swap

Hello everybody!

This is my first post on this site and my 1st Runner and I'm looking for a few answers on this swap.

What I have here is a 98 Limited that I picked up cheap due to an overheated engine - HG blew on oil passage and filled radiator. After the heads were pulled and inspecting the block, I decided against rebuilding it and purchased a JDM engine out of Cali.

The motor came in the other day and I'm wanting to know what people are reusing off their old engine. I searched for quite some time and made a post on T4R w/ no luck...

This is what I've done so far...

- pulled the plenum and harness off the JDM.
- pulled old oil pan/pick up from old motor and buying a new oil pump.
- buying a timing belt kit w/ WP, (seals, VC Gaskets, tensioner, etc)

Basically just waiting on the above parts now...

My questions are.......

Oil filter relocation. Are people moving front to back or getting a relocating kit? If moving front to back, do I need any special gaskets/parts?

Also, I've read (internet) these engines are tuned down for emissions and then heard they have different injectors... Any 1st hand experience instead of hear say?

Is there anything else I'm missing or forgetting?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 06-24-2015, 05:50 PM

Since nobody wants to chime in, I'll add to what I've done so far for other people searching for similar answers... I hope this helps.

Reused:
old oil pan/pickup
old harness
old alternator (3 grooves vs 5 on new)
old ac bracket and compressor (new one had thinner shoulder)
old ps pump (new one looked like motor rolled on it)
old harmonic balancer (new was 5 groove vs old 3)
old flexplate just to be safe
old motor mounts
old exhaust manifolds (new were way different)
old plenum/intake
relocated oil filter and cooler

Don't know what this motor came out of, but it sure was a pita! Was it worth $1200 for a long block? We shall see in another day when I fire this 3.4 slug up.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're in the wrong sub-forum (which might be why you're not getting the responses you're expecting), this is for swapping a 3.4 into a vehicle that didn't originally come with one.

Now, as for your project, I'd swap over all the various sensors, the oil pan/pickup, dipstick and dipstick tube.

Do yourself a favor, get some new rubber isolaters for the motor mounts from Toyota (I think they were $50), as your old ones are probably starting to dry out and crack.

Carefully inspect your flexplate for cracks, that seems to be a more common problem than anyone would like; I can't imagine a new one would be that expensive.

While it's out, I'd go through and replace the timing belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump and as many seals/gaskets/freeze plugs as you feel comfortable doing, since it'll be much, much easier with the engine on a stand than in the truck.

And of course, welcome, and good luck.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:49 AM

Thanks Sacrunner for your input. I forgot to add, i did replace the timing component's while mota was on the stand. I bought a factory kit off of ebay that had all belts, pulleys, tension, water pump, tstat, etc...

I have to hang the ps pump, install radiator, ac coil, and find where this one sensor is.. im having trouble locating where it is. Its the one that comes across top front of mota and runs down to ac compressor. The compressor is hooked up with its sensor, but there is another one that splits off of it with a bracket. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I only get to work on it a couple hours after work, so thats why its been taking forever... hopefully, itll be ready to fire by the weekend. After that, the body is getting monstalined zombie sunset. I will post pics soon.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 06-30-2015, 01:44 PM

I just swapped a JDM 5vzfe into my 1st gen. So I have a question for you. Are the oil pumps the same on the new motor as the old one? I ask because I never converted my engine to US spec.... and I want to.

As for the sensor you are missing... Is it the ps level sensor? (I didnt use it cuz my rig didnt have one) Just so you know I didnt use that connector either but can double check it after work.

Thanks,
Old 06-30-2015, 02:56 PM

Hey Exporunner.

Yes, I figured out that dang old sensor. It clipped right into the PS...

Another update for parts being used............

The one part that I did use was the clutch fan/pulley mount or whatever you call it from the new engine. Got everything buttoned up and my belts were out of alignment. I had to reuse that part off my old engine and now the belts are in perfect alignment.

The oil pump is the same on the old 3.4 and new 3.4. I did use the JDM one. That motor had different pickup/pans - thats all. Should of saved it for if and when I SAS it if I keep this little truck.

I did get it fired up the other night and it purs like a kitten. I do have a flat spot in the moto when punching the throttle, b/c the gas is 4 years old. :/ I need to drain it or burn it out but haven't had time. Other than that, no CEL and it idles and runs through the rpm band smoothly.

Currently, I have all the doors off and the entire rig sanded. I plan on attempting to monstaline it come this weekend.

Thanks,

Jeff