3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4L swap on a automatic 4wd 2ndgen 4Runner possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UKrunner
Yes they are in one of my threads about the solenoids.

Have you looked at any wiring diagrams yet?
Why do you ask? Are you offering some?

No, i havent even started swapping because I have yet to find a 3.4L engine!! Apparently, the 4cyl engine became more popular here than anywhere else!

Where can I find all the diagrams I'll need? Techinfo? Even for the transmission (and the whole 4wd/ADD stravaganza)?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Ok, I think I found an engine. Price is around $1k and it was imported from New Jersey...

The engine doesnt has it's ECU, and its a 99 engine. Which T100 ECU should I get? Same year? Also, someone told me that there could be an injector compatibility problem between the engine and the t100 engine. Any info on this?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Okay. I read this thread from the top. I am wondering if I am going to have an issue using a 3.4/a340f/Ecuador combination all from a 97 4runner into a 1995 3.0 4runner. I guess I'm gonna have to go into the harness schematics a bit more...unless somebody can give me a hint.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:54 PM

Ecuador should be ecu in the above post.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:20 PM

Also I'm swapping out the stock t-case for geared duals.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
NO you shouldnt. That is essentially the same setup I have but 92 pickup....basically the same for what we are doing. In fact, I used a 95 Runner EWD for all my wiring for the 92.

Marlin makes an adapter for the 340F to geared cases. Its $350
Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by thefatkid
My T100 ECU was from a 97. The wiring plugged right into my 98 4runner auto harness. There were some wires that needed to change pin locations but it wasn't really that bad.

I did notice a fuel mileage increase from the 15s to the 17s. The vehicle didn't run any better but the engine was in the correct rpm range more often. I don't get that good of mileage due to my right foot is 2-3 sizes larger then my left.
What year did your 3.4 engine came from? Did you had to match it to a specific T100 ECU, or will any T100 ecu work?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 PM

The T100 ECU from 96-98 use the same pin locations and the part numbers from the 96 and 97 change to the newer 98ecu. I don't remember the part numbers but your local toyota store should be able to tell you. My engine was out of a 98, I don't really remember if it was Taco or 4runner.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Ok I just got back from the junker and food a good-looking snake (yes, lol) and a nice 3.4L engine. There is also a Tacoma without its engine, but with all the wiring spaghetti. Do these need to be from the same year to be compatible, or can I cross-match? Finding conplete donor trucks in Puerto Rico are extremely hard. Every car that checks in at a Junkyard gets stripped out instantly into parts.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:44 AM

Update: Just bought a complete totaled 4Runner 97-98 (not sure) with an auto tranny, 40k miles, for $2.2k. Engine bay wasnt even dented, and transmission works too. Here are the question for all you pros:

According to the previous owner, transmission works perfectly but I plan on keeping the stock tranny because it was rebuilt recently (barely 6k miles). Will the T100 ECU trick work on these early models? From what year does the T100 ECU shoukd come out to fit my 4Runner harness? Please? Any of the guys who've done this can easily answer these....
Old 10-17-2010, 07:30 AM

Why not just run the 97-98 ECM, motor and tranny and forget about the T100 stuff. It seems like more of a headache then anything and less expertise out there to help.

I realize your T100 tranny was rebuilt recently but a Toyota tranny with 40k would be a no brainer for me.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Why not just run the 97-98 ECM, motor and tranny and forget about the T100 stuff. It seems like more of a headache then anything and less expertise out there to help.

I realize your T100 tranny was rebuilt recently but a Toyota tranny with 40k would be a no brainer for me.
Ok, you got a few things wrong... but maybe its its because I wasnt clearly enough.

I have a 93 4x4 auto 4Runner, and a 97 auto 4Runner donor for the 3.4 swap. The 93's tranny was rebuilt just this last month previous to my headgasket blowing off. Keeping the original transmission seems as simple as putting a T100 ECU of a certain year (not sure which!!!!) would solve the problem of incorrect transmission shifting (which is what would occur if i used the 97's ECU with the 93's tranny).

Installing the newer tranny (97) could be a solution, but 2 things stop me:

1) My old tranny cost me $1.2 to have it rebuilt... and I dont wanna loss them.
2) Fitting the 97's tranny requires some modification, which inclides buying a $350 adapter from Marlin, and changing the shift levers (which would be complete custom work)... all requiring extra money and time, which I do not have. Also, again, I would be loosing my oerfectly good just-rebuilt tranny... and my long-term goal is to swap in a manual, and investing in adapters and custom jobs is just wasting money.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:41 AM

Ok i get it but personally I wouldnt care about a rebuilt transmission with a perfectly good 340f with only 40k miles is sitting there. Just cause its rebuilt doesnt make it better.

If your goal is manual then I would go that route from the start if there are no smog concerns, which in PR I would assume there isnt, but I dont know.

A R150 is cheap and there are used adapters floating around on various forums for $200-250......probably about what you could get for your 340H.

I have no idea what parts cost, or the availability of them are, in PR but around here a R150 is about $150. Your 340H would bring about $250 and I just sold a 340F with the case for $350.

You would need a new adapter for about $250 used or buy a new trail gear one for $300 and gear driven case for $100 (I paid $50 for mine that will become my front box). Then you would have to find and buy a T100 ECM and hope to hell its the right one(about $100 I would think) Even after having your drivelines altered, you'd still be about even and not have the hassle of trying to match ECMs and chasing all those issues. I bought a manual Runner ECM for $50 to convert my 340f to manual and used the auto harness by repinning it.

You have enough money sitting the totaled Runner to fund your efforts. Start posting parts for sale. Try here, ttora.com, customtacos, marlin, etc. I made over $3000 selling parts of my totaled Runner.

Again, no brainer either the auto route, or changing to manual, if it was me but I am not in your shoes. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:43 PM

Unhappy

Ok i get it but personally I wouldnt care about a rebuilt transmission with a perfectly good 340f with only 40k miles is sitting there. Just cause its rebuilt doesnt make it better.

If your goal is manual then I would go that route from the start if there are no smog concerns, which in PR I would assume there isnt, but I dont know.

A R150 is cheap and there are used adapters floating around on various forums for $200-250......probably about what you could get for your 340H.

I have no idea what parts cost, or the availability of them are, in PR but around here a R150 is about $150. Your 340H would bring about $250 and I just sold a 340F with the case for $350.

You would need a new adapter for about $250 used or buy a new trail gear one for $300 and gear driven case for $100 (I paid $50 for mine that will become my front box). Then you would have to find and buy a T100 ECM and hope to hell its the right one(about $100 I would think) Even after having your drivelines altered, you'd still be about even and not have the hassle of trying to match ECMs and chasing all those issues. I bought a manual Runner ECM for $50 to convert my 340f to manual and used the auto harness by repinning it.

You have enough money sitting the totaled Runner to fund your efforts. Start posting parts for sale. Try here, ttora.com, customtacos, marlin, etc. I made over $3000 selling parts of my totaled Runner.

Again, no brainer either the auto route, or changing to manual, if it was me but I am not in your shoes. Good luck.
I appreciate your opinion and advice, but there are a few things worth mentioning besides too.

First, anything that has to be shipped to PR is an almost-sure No No, mainly because everything has to be shipped via air, and that costs. USPS is the most affordable, because any other carrier costs just as much as a one-way trip. But USPS has a weight limit... god-forsaken island...

Also, the 93's tranny has an electrical problem. It is still under warranty, but it needs a vehicle for it to be diagnosed... so that puts a condition if I were to sell it. Also, if I only need a T100 ECU in order to fit the tranny, that sure sounds a lot more inviting than buying a crapload of adapters.

Last but not least: everything in here cost at much as three times what costs in the US. Anything, from body parts, to engines and transmission part... mainly because we have overinflated import taxes. To give you an example, the lowest I could find a used 3.4 engine was at $2000... alone. No starter, no wires, no nothing. Finding a donor vehicle completly totaled at $2.2k was a complete bargain.

So it brings me to my annoying initial question: what are the compatibility requirements for using the T100 ECU? This should be the most inexpensive solution, and should work just as good.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:27 AM

Kcorpetti,

I am doing something similar to what you’re doing. My swap will be into a 1989 Toyota 2WD motorhome. I have a 3.4L for a 97 4runner auto and ECU/ wire harness. I also have a T-100 ECU but no harness… The best thing for me would be to use the original auto trans in my truck now, with the 97 engine and harness using the T-100 ECU.

This is what I’m researching now.

Do you know of this site for FSM for both your runners? http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/

Andrew
Old 02-12-2011, 05:15 AM

And also, I forgot to say, the 97 Transmission is 4x2. Mine is 4x4. That's a VERY important reason! Just found out I didn't made it clear.