3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap in the style of Breknraj

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's in! Sitting on the motor mounts and the tranny's hooked up!
It started hailing and I'm in no real hurry to make progress until the headers make their way to my doorstep, so I gave up for the day.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 PM

So a bit of advice, it's easier to get the heater hoses installed without the upper plenum in the way.

The real lesson is to remember to re-route the fuel supply line BEFORE installing the engine.
That's really why I had to remove the upper plenum.
Also, found the bracket ORS provided for the clutch kit, I'll get a pic of it when I install it.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Well, I'm screwed. Downey doesn't have any of the headers in stock, and from what I can tell about the Doug Thorley's, TRD, and JBA is that they all go over the tranny like the original crossover. Does anybody know of any other headers for the 3.4? I gotta have this done by the end of Feb. so I may have to use the original crossover and find a shop that'll do modify it for me.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump for an answer.

I do not know unfortunally.

I can't wait to do this swap.
Hope it goes smoothly from now on.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:30 AM

What I've found out so far, calling around:
Downey is out, needs at least 10 customers waiting before they'll make a production run...no ETA.
LC Engineering is working an a prototype that'll work, drops on both sides like the Downey's instead of going over the tranny...at least 2 months out.
NWOR, the guy I talked to has never had anyone call him and ask about headers for this swap...seriously?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check around, there maybe a Downey dealer (reseller) that has a set in stock. Also check the different forums "for sale" sections, sometimes I see them in there.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

don't know if these will be useful but here' a used ceramic set on craigslist I found while searching for 'ya
(not mine, just a craigslist post) good luck w/ the swap can't wait to see how it turns out!
http://worcester.craigslist.org/pts/1019794702.html
[IMG]
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM

Yeah, the JBA's are CARB certified, so they follow the same routing as the stock 3.4 crossover.

I thank you very, very much for lookin though. Sadly, no luck so far but I do have the stock crossover, so plan B is still possible and probably cheaper. Just not what I planned!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 PM

So, anybody who's done this and retained the ADD system, which vacuum port off the intake did you use? I s'pose I could just defeat the ADD, I have manual hubs already...

Next one, which port/hose didja tap the cruise control into? I looked through some of the pics of Mt Goat and Breknraj's, but I think I just missed it. I might leave this off for now, but it'd be nice to have for my trip back to Cali.

Thanks again to everyone helping and cheering,
Jonny
Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 PM

Ok, back to my own comp, so pictures of my progress today:

Got the evap stuff finished

and the most revealing find of the day:

notice the sweet burned wires in my fuse box? Always fun to have a side project or 2.

Tomorrow I hope to have the starter to battery wires done, the alternator wired, and the fuse box wired to the battery harness again.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Contributing Member

you are making great progress. an inspiration and a dream.
re: the headers. it would be so cool if you could find some ceramic downeys in time for this swap.
the coolest guys i dealt with whenever i would buy downey stuff were at baja racing concepts.
Justin is the contact there, they often have lots of Downey stuff discounted and they have their own stock on hand it seems. His email is
justin@bajaconcepts.com
now it looks like they have the crossover in stock but they don't list the 3.4 header. doesn't mean they don't have it, and he might be able to tell you who in the chain has one

Last edited by taikowaza; 02-05-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:01 AM

I thought about another possibility today...call it plan c. Really dunno how feasible it is though.

Plan A: get a used set or however possible get 3.4 specific Downey headers.
Plan B: mod the stock crossover so it dumps stock size pipe(2 1/4", I think?) down each side of the tranny, then crossover to meet at cat converter. Think single tube header bolted to the back of the stock manifolds, basically.
Plan CThe Wild Card) Get a set of 3.0 headers and modify them with flanges for the 3.4. I've seen a couple sets of 3.0 headers for sale, and Downey may even have them in stock, who knows? I know a guy with a custom machine shop who could probably make the flanges for me by tracing the stock manifold and cutting it from 3/8" plate.

I realize plan C is kinda out there, and unfortunately I REALLY don't have the time to experiment too much, but what do y'all think? ANY input would be appreciated.

Edit: Thanks for the contact at Baja!

Last edited by JonnyBoy; 02-06-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Plan CThe Wild Card) Get a set of 3.0 headers and modify them with flanges for the 3.4. I've seen a couple sets of 3.0 headers for sale, and Downey may even have them in stock, who knows?
Forget plan C, the heads are totally different. The port spacing is totally different.

Wow, wonder what wire you burnt up there?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 AM

A couple wires...EFI, horn/hazard, and dome light. At least, that's what fuses they went to according to the cover. I know exactly when it happened, too. Maybe a 2 months after I got it I let the e-brake off and got nothing when I tried to restart it...but had headlights, tailights, etc. Blew the 40 amp master fuse. Never thought to open the box up and check other wires, guess I should've.

Too bad about plan C, thought it'd probably be more expensive than B anyhow.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 PM

Today's progress...spent most of the day sleeping off a hangover, then went to the parts store to see if I could get new connections that clip into the fuse box. Then tried the dealership. No Dice.
So, here's the fix in all it's redneck goodness:

where the insulation used to be blue with a green stripe I used blue electrical tape and put a stripe of green tape over it. The other damaged wire was black with a green stripe, so now if I need to know the colors for whatever reason, I still do.

I thought it was pretty clever anyhow.
All good:

Then while wiring up the battery harness and alternator I realized I missed a "T" in the evap stuff. Done now:

And wired the alternator into the old 3.0 harness:

Is this how y'all with different alternator connections did it? Splice the 3.4 alt plug onto the old 3.0 wires?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:00 PM

My alternator plug matched the 3.4's but I don't see why what you did won't work. I think that's the way the ORS istructions say to do it.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:25 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I did the exact same thing. If you need any pictures or anything let me know, my swap is done and i did everything myself. All the wiring, modify the 3.4 crossover, fuel lines. I basically did the swap one maned in 3-4 days. A LOT EASIER than it looks. And i still have the add system working. The only thing left is to get the ac working. And for that i got the ac amp from the donor vehicle.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Forgot to ask, did you run a wire from the starter to the starter relay in the fuse block under the hood? or does the ors harness you got have the starter wire?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neoworm0
My alternator plug matched the 3.4's...
Same here, I guess somewhere between 90 and 93 Toyota changed to a new plug and stayed with it into the 21st century.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 AM

Vital, the ORS harness has a starter wire, so I'm using it. I don't s'pose there's anybody good at pulling apart the dash and actually having it go back together that wants to come help...cause I hate dash work almost as much as I hate wiring!

Quick Reply: 3.4 swap in the style of Breknraj