3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 swap problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which clutch parts did you use? 3.4 or 3.0?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
Which clutch parts did you use? 3.4 or 3.0?
I bought a clutch for the 3.4. I've heard either work, and i bought the exact same clutch as another guy whose done the swap, and his works beautifully.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:32 PM

From what I have read you need the 3.0 throw out bearing. Which one did you use? I think I have read similar issues with the 3.4 throw out bearing. I beleive the difference is in the tranny shaft. The 3.4 is longer than the 3.0 if I recall correctly.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by sphealy
From what I have read you need the 3.0 throw out bearing. Which one did you use? I think I have read similar issues with the 3.4 throw out bearing. I beleive the difference is in the tranny shaft. The 3.4 is longer than the 3.0 if I recall correctly.
X2. You can use 3.4 parts just need a 3.0 throw out bearing.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:04 PM

That, that is just awful. God please no.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by runnerruning
Can't quit on it now just keep plugging along. :-)
Old 12-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Sounds worse than it is. Just drop the tranny and replace throwout bearing. Clutch pressure plate and flywheel are all good. Not to expensive just the hassle of dropping the transmission.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:45 PM

Okay I talked to that guy and he just told me he ordered a 3.0 bearing with the 3.4 clutch kit. Sooooo fuuuudge.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:07 PM

Okay I talked to that guy and he just told me he ordered a 3.0 bearing with the 3.4 clutch kit. Sooooo fuuuudge.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/throwout-bearing-usage-227022/
the above link has a picture of the two side by side. I know what hes telling you but look at the pictures to make sure you ended up with the right part. You never know what someone in the parts chain could have done.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:15 PM

Hey, so to revive my old thread, I got the new motor in, runs fine, starts right up. I had to get a new clutch, so I got new clutch flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing yada yada. Anyway got all that installed, started it up and it idles high(bout 2k or a bit higher) but when I depress the clutch its like it doesn't disengage it and I play hell getting it into a gear and when I do, if the clutch pedal is up it doesn't move, but when I push it int, it lurches and starts to move. Now I'm no expert, but that seems a bit backwards to me. Any suggestions? Clutch adjustment? And how do I get the idle to drop? I don't have the exhaust in it yet, so no o2s, and I'm sure I have all the vacuum lines either plugger or routed. So any advice would be appreciated.
Is it possible the clutch fork is not properly alligned on the throwout bearing meaning either before or behind putting pressure on the throwout in the wrong posistion?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:30 PM

You reckon I can maybe just unbolt the tranny and slide it back a few inches and swap em? I hate to dropped the hole thing AGAIN. 4TH TIME.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:38 PM

You reckon I can maybe just unbolt the tranny and slide it back a few inches and swap em? I hate to dropped the hole thing AGAIN. 4TH TIME.
Has to go back more than a few inches for that. After 4 times you should be pretty good at it. I could drop mine in about 45 min, and install it in a little over an hour. By myself.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:21 PM

You have several issues going on.

First I would think the high idle is def. related to not having your vacuum lines connected and will likely correct itself once they are sorted out.

Second- A few post up I referenced a link to a thread which showed the two throw out bearing side by side. If you can remember which one you installed it will help with troubleshooting. If you can't figure out which one you installed then yes the first step is to pull the transmission to figure out which one you have and like Jason said it will have to be more than a few inches. Swivel sockets are your friend with the tranny bolts. If you don't have the right sizes invest and get them it makes a world of a difference.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:45 PM

I know I definitely installed the bigger one. removing the trans usually isnt a problem, but putting it up is a pain. I'm going to try to only remove it as far as I need to to get the bushings swapped. As far as high idle, I'm still stumped. I haven't had much time to mess with the idle.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:52 PM

I know I definitely installed the bigger one. removing the trans usually isnt a problem, but putting it up is a pain. I'm going to try to only remove it as far as I need to to get the bushings swapped. As far as high idle, I'm still stumped. I haven't had much time to mess with the idle.
Just by getting it back far enough to get to the throw out bearing its pretty much "removed". One last step is lowering it down. Equals a heck of a lot more room to mess with the throw out bearing.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:22 AM

Okay, got trans dropped, new bearing in, and bolted back up. Shifts fine from what I can tell. Now before I can mess with it much more I have to get the high idle figured out. Like I said before it idles at what feels like 2500. Suuuupwr high. I sprayed starting fluid around the points I thought it might be, no change. I can't do a smoke test being its outside and the fan would just ruin that anyway. So what would some other suggestions be?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Sticky IAC valve maybe? These engine do idle high when cold(which I've never liked) and slow down to normal idle speed when fully warmed up.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Okay, got trans dropped, new bearing in, and bolted back up. Shifts fine from what I can tell. Now before I can mess with it much more I have to get the high idle figured out. Like I said before it idles at what feels like 2500. Suuuupwr high. I sprayed starting fluid around the points I thought it might be, no change. I can't do a smoke test being its outside and the fan would just ruin that anyway. So what would some other suggestions be?
I would recommend taking the time to do the tack mod or if you have the obd2 port connected hooking up a scan took to see what the actual rpms are vs preceived. Not sayong your wrong but its generally very hard to trouble shoot off of someones feelings
Old 12-28-2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
Sticky IAC valve maybe? These engine do idle high when cold(which I've never liked) and slow down to normal idle speed when fully warmed up.
He is correct with this...emissions driven. Have you given the motor a chance to reach operating temp to see if it idles down?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:53 AM

No because I haven't had the chance to fill the coolant. Stupid question, but what is the right way to fill coolant from completely empty? Also, I have cleaned the throttle body and the IAC thoroughly. Not sure about the obd2 port just yet.

Quick Reply: 3.4 swap problems?