3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 Conversion Throttle issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 12:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3.4 Conversion Throttle issues

okay im just finishing up my 3.4 conversion. only things left to do are drivelines, throttle and kickdown cable, and powersteering. ill be posting a full write up as soon as i get to CO next this coming week. and have time to edit pictures and write a detailed report. i have quite a few tips and tricks that worked very well on mine, that i havent seen anyone else do.

the question for today is my stock throttle cable seems to be to short when put into the stock 3.4 holder it holds the throttle half way open. and the kickdown has the exact opposite problem its to long.

ill post a pic in the morning about this but just thought i would see what you guys have to say?? and what you have done to resolve this.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OMG, I just ran into this problem today too. So far what I've figured out is to make a little extender from a piece of 1/8" steel plate to move the bracket over. It's different with a SC though. The bracket that came with the SC would work if I hadn't gotten that URD throttle body spacer for the WI.

Quit holding back on those ideas and tips now, that's not fair.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:37 AM

lol sorry about the tips. problem is that my wife is 7months preg and she needs to get home. we are driving the truck back to CO. SO i have to get that done First if i intend to survive the delivery believe me i wish i could stay here. My family is here hers is there. So we go there lol. Its fair isnt it.

Hey the good part the only thing that she has complained about on this project is that its taken 3 weeks to long. Hasnt said a word about the money YET.. I'm Waiting still for that

Any way ill see if i cant get some stuff posted before i leave. If i get everything else done today. ill have some time while i wait for the powersteering brackets that where supposed to arrive thursday from the damn wrecking yard. but they didnt ship them cause the didnt have the lower one.. GRRRRR i told them on the phone i have the lower ones i only need the upper ones. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited by thefallman; 09-17-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just went out and measured my thorttle cable, 92 22r truck, from the firewall to the adjuster part is about 3ft., then the exposed cable end is about 5", not including the metal adjusting part of the cable. On the 5vz that I have waitin on me, this cable looks like it will fit. Let me know if this or something else works out.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jasond
Just went out and measured my thorttle cable, 92 22r truck, from the firewall to the adjuster part is about 3ft., then the exposed cable end is about 5", not including the metal adjusting part of the cable. On the 5vz that I have waitin on me, this cable looks like it will fit. Let me know if this or something else works out.
Hey Jason, well on mine anyway it's not that the 3VZ cable isn't long enough, it's that the little bracket that holds the end near the TB isn't the correct distance from the TB, even with the cable adjustment maxed out. Although I guess a different length cable would also fix the problem wouldn't it. I think in my case with the SC it will be easy enough to move the bracket.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

I think Jason's idea of a different cable may be the best way to go.

If I relocate the bracket enough to have the throttle cable fit, the auto trans cable is out of its range of adjustment. I would have to cut the bracket in half and relocate the pieces seperately.

The 5VZ throttle cable seems to have the correct length of lead, about 4.25" from the cable end to the cable housing. The 3VZ is about 3.25" and is about 1" too little lead on it.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:13 PM

yeah i dont have a parts truck so i just cut my bracket and bent it to hell and yay it works now

looks like HELL but it works

ill fix it when i put the SC on later. i just want to get it running in the truck and make sure all the kinks are worked out before adding a whole nother mess of worms. if there happens to be any problems non so far
Old 09-17-2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I think Jason's idea of a different cable may be the best way to go.

If I relocate the bracket enough to have the throttle cable fit, the auto trans cable is out of its range of adjustment. I would have to cut the bracket in half and relocate the pieces seperately.

The 5VZ throttle cable seems to have the correct length of lead, about 4.25" from the cable end to the cable housing. The 3VZ is about 3.25" and is about 1" too little lead on it.
That's why I was telling you my 22r length, its got 5" exposed, as opposed to the 3.25" that you have on the 3vz cable end. I would try that before anything else..you know that it will bolt up, and could probably take out that extra 3/4" in the adjustment

Last edited by jasond; 09-17-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jasond
That's why I was telling you my 22r length, its got 5" exposed, as opposed to the 3.25" that you have on the 3vz cable end. I would try that before anything else..you know that it will bolt up, and could probably take out that extra 3/4" in the adjustment
Jason, the 5VZ cable bolts to the firewall from the inside and the 3VZ cable bolts to the firewall from the outside. Do you think that will be a problem with switching them?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:02 PM

I have seen someone doing that before, but dont remember how they did it for sure....I'm thinkin that they ended up bolting up the 5vz cable on the outside somehow, but I may be wrong
Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Jason, the 5VZ cable bolts to the firewall from the inside and the 3VZ cable bolts to the firewall from the outside. Do you think that will be a problem with switching them?
I tried this, it is a HUGE PITA more so then getting to the top 2 trans x engine bolts i think. And guess what? It doesnt freakin fit! There is not enough lead for the 3.4 cable to fit when you attach it like the 3.0 had it originally. I have a 3.0 cable from a 2nd gen 4runner I am going to try next, if I dont skimp and just use a spring it get the throttle to return all the way. I tried bending the bracket, and a now thinking of modifying the existing one like others have suggested just to avoid getting to those damn bolts! Also where the cable attaches to the petal there is a black rubber thing just before the clip that holds it to the petal, maybe if I reduce the size of it by 1/2 if will fit....HUMMMM

Last edited by tirogers; 03-29-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by tirogers
I tried this, it is a HUGE PITA more so then getting to the top 2 trans x engine bolts i think. And guess what? It doesnt freakin fit! There is not enough lead for the 3.4 cable to fit when you attach it like the 3.0 had it originally. I have a 3.0 cable from a 2nd gen 4runner I am going to try next, if I dont skimp and just use a spring it get the throttle to return all the way. I tried bending the bracket, and a now thinking of modifying the existing one like others have suggested just to avoid getting to those damn bolts! Also where the cable attaches to the petal there is a black rubber thing just before the clip that holds it to the petal, maybe if I reduce the size of it by 1/2 if will fit....HUMMMM

Holy thread bump!!!

Almost 5 years!!

Anyway, I never could get the 3.4 cable work correctly so I swapped to the 3.0 cable. It would never idle down with the 3.4. I do not remember any thing other than it took about 5 minute to do and everything worked perfectly after that.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I bent my bracket a little and its fine
Old 03-30-2011, 05:02 AM

The 3.4 cable works fine on my swap, only needed to swap the mounting bracket at the firewall iirc.

Congrats on the 5 year bump.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:09 PM

3.4 cable worked for me as well today; just don't forget to reverse the little rubber seal! I did have to "adjust" the bracket as well. (read: mallet)

9 year B.U.M.P.