Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

A/T Oil Temp light came on

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/T Oil Temp light came on

I was driving on the highway for a couple of hours when my A/T Oil Temp light came on. I pulled over for about 15 minutes, started her up again and the light was off and drove for another hour. The light has not come on since but I want to make sure that everything is fine so I called the stealership and they wanted to charge me $89Cnd just for the checkup. Is it worth it to get it checked or should I just replace the tranny oil as I read in another post that once the light comes on that it's a good idea to replace the oil?
Old 01-24-2004, 07:37 PM

if i were you first thing i'd do is check the tranny fluid condition............theres a dipstick for it just like the engine oil dipstick (i think it might be on the opposite side, but i don't have an autotran so i'm not sure)

make sure the fluid is of a reddish color and doesn't look dark brown or smell burnt.

if that checks out ok then you should be alright. as long as you didn't drive for an extended peroid of time with the lght on you should be in good shape.

you might wanna consider an auxilliary tranny cooler for your rig.......just check the write up section for an article about how to install one.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:38 PM

Thanks AverysDad. I checked the dipstick and it does smell kinda burnt. I want to flush the fluids but I read that with my symptoms, the tranny might go. I might just go with the flush anyway and if the tranny does go... I guess I'll get that taco I've been eyeing.

Someone convince me not to flush if it's really bad for my tranny...
Old 01-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by gtaSR5
Someone convince me not to flush if it's really bad for my tranny...
Here ya go

Linky
Old 01-24-2004, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Mohamed
Here ya go

Linky
Thanks

Ok now someone convince me to flush it anyway
Old 01-25-2004, 12:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by gtaSR5
Ok now someone convince me to flush it anyway
Haha.

What symptoms? Is it slipping or something? If not, then according to gadget's website you don't have to worry about it dying. If nothing's wrong, other than a burnt smell, I'd flush it soon. Next time the light comes on, don't shut off the engine. Put the tranny is park and let the engine run so that the fluid is still circulating through the cool. Yes, an auxilliary cooler would be good.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Haha.

What symptoms? Is it slipping or something? If not, then according to gadget's website you don't have to worry about it dying. If nothing's wrong, other than a burnt smell, I'd flush it soon. Next time the light comes on, don't shut off the engine. Put the tranny is park and let the engine run so that the fluid is still circulating through the cool. Yes, an auxilliary cooler would be good.
Thanks Steve. I guess I missed the slipping part on Gadget's site. Nope no slipping problems with my tranny... just the burnt smell. After I shut off the engine I read my manual since I had nothing else to do for 15 minutes and read that I should've put it in park and waited until the A/T Oil Temp light went off... if this ever happens to me now I know what to do...

Thanks again, now I feel better getting it flushed. I didn't really want to leave the burnt smelling oil in there.

Now anybody want to convince me again otherwise... because tomorrow I get it flushed. j/k

Last edited by gtaSR5; 01-25-2004 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Regarding the burned smell. A tranny shop once told me to wipe some of the oil on your hand and smell it. Apparently if the dipstick is hot it can make the fluid smell burned when it isn't.